Shoutbox

Which TV??? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Which TV??? (/showthread.php?tid=84632)

Which TV??? by DejaVoo on 07-02-2008 at 12:20 PM

Time for me to buy a new television for my room and I'm thinking a 32 inch LCD would do me fine but I'm not sure which of the following three would be the best...

It doesn't have to be the top of the range, I just want value for money and I'm willing to pay up to $2,000 AUD....

The three I'm looking at are Sony KDL40V4000 (this is a 40 inch but thats fine, also this comes with a bonus playstation 3 which I don't currently have so better still). I can pick this up for $1,998...

Samsung LA32A650, 32 inch, best price $1,500...

LG 32LG60UD. 32 inch, best price $1,200...

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/product.js...tedProd=KDL40V4000[/url]

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/spec.do...0A1HXXY&fullspec=F

http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv_lcdtv_...tv_32lg60ud.jhtml#   

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

:)

RE: Which TV??? by Basilis on 07-02-2008 at 12:58 PM

I like most the Samsung one. It seems very stylish. But the Sony one comes with a Playstation 3 and is 40 inch so I think $2,000 is a logical price. I would choose between those two. :)

RE: Which TV??? by Th3rmal on 07-02-2008 at 01:07 PM

Logically, the Sony one, because of extra size and PS3.
Second choice, Samsung, they have awesome LCD screens

RE: Which TV??? by absorbation on 07-02-2008 at 02:45 PM

I suggest the Sony one. I can't believe the price $2,000 AUD is a bargain here.

RE: Which TV??? by mattisdada on 07-02-2008 at 03:15 PM

A 3000:1 contrast ratio isnt that great (The sony one).

Personally, i would buy the Samsung one, not only because its Very stylish, but its far better quality then the rest.

And as Thermal said, Samsung really do make awesome LCD's.

RE: Which TV??? by CookieRevised on 07-02-2008 at 06:50 PM

For TVs, if you have the chance, go to a local shop and request to view them side by side while they are playing the same tv program simultaniously and also a dvd movie. That is the only way you can tell what screen you would like the most!! Just choosing from brands and some specs isn't sufficient, that is only one of the first steps, right after determining what budget you have to spend....

The important part is how the TV shows the stuff, not how the TV looks like. I rather have a plain looking TV, but with an excellent picture quality than a stylish (usually overprized) thing which shows a less sharp and often artifacted image. And quite often you wouldn't notice it much unless you put those two TVs next to eachother, then the differences are quite visible.

When doing this, do keep in mind that each TV has its own settings also (especially color balances are often not set correctly in the stores). So tinker a bit with each TV to get an idea of how much you can alter the picture...

The shop keepers would (should) be happy to assist. Especially if you do as if you have a hell of a budget :p

Remember, just choosing a brand because "they make awesome stuff" is not going to get you the best TV. You might as well just pick a random TV set in that case.

And because of picture quality I still prefer the normal TVs over any LCD any day.

At least, that is what I would do and think....

EDIT: ...because, for example:

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Samsung. I have one, it's mega.
How do you know it is mega? Did you compared the picture quality with a lot of other brands, side by side?
RE: Which TV??? by vaccination on 07-02-2008 at 10:09 PM

Samsung. I have one, it's mega.

RE: Which TV??? by Hank on 07-02-2008 at 11:59 PM

i'd personally go for Sharp,, better picture quality than Sony or the others,

RE: Which TV??? by mattisdada on 07-03-2008 at 12:38 AM

Cookie, did you know, the fiddle with the settings with the instore TV's? Its a common practice, they dim the screen, put off the colours and etc, on the cheaper screens so you buy the biggest and most expensive screen.

RE: Which TV??? by CookieRevised on 07-03-2008 at 06:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Cookie, did you know, the fiddle with the settings with the instore TV's? Its a common practice, they dim the screen, put off the colours and etc, on the cheaper screens so you buy the biggest and most expensive screen.
dunno, maybe... hence you need to fiddle with them :p

But here, from the few times I went to buy a TV (for myself, or accompanying someone else or just going to look what's new) it was quite often very clear that the fiddling is mostly done by the customers, not the store keepers.

In a few occasions there were even shop keepers who constantly put everything back to the 'default' settings after the customers fiddled with all the knobs and menus (imaging doing that all day long as a living, lol).
RE: Which TV??? by prashker on 07-03-2008 at 06:47 AM

get a OLED, just because they are that awesome.

and I don't care if they are not big enough, wait for them to make bigger OLED TVs, then get one :drool:

RE: Which TV??? by zach on 07-03-2008 at 07:00 AM

Go into a store and compare them yourself. You can read reviews about what's better but you can't go wrong if you actually make your own comparisons and get the settings how you want.

I was disappointed with the Samsung Bordeaux so I would pick the Sony HDTV.

RE: RE: Which TV??? by Hank on 07-03-2008 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
get a OLED, just because they are that awesome.

and I don't care if they are not big enough, wait for them to make bigger OLED TVs, then get one :drool:
remember Size matters Sam, i couldnt watch Tv on a small screen anymore
RE: Which TV??? by mattisdada on 07-03-2008 at 12:46 PM

OLED's arent exactly out yet :P

RE: Which TV??? by CookieRevised on 07-04-2008 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Sure they are. They are already used in many gadgets, since a long time... (not only talking about that infamous keyboard though, but more about small video screens, photo frames, watches and other real geek stuff which nobody needs).
RE: Which TV??? by mattisdada on 07-04-2008 at 12:50 AM

I meant, there isnt any usable TV OLED's out as of yet :P.

RE: RE: Which TV??? by Hank on 07-04-2008 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Sure they are. They are already used in many gadgets, since a long time... (not only talking about that infamous keyboard though, but more about small video screens, photo frames, watches and other real geek stuff which nobody needs).
some mobile phones even have OLED Screens also
RE: Which TV??? by CookieRevised on 07-04-2008 at 02:47 AM

quote:
I meant, there isnt any usable TV OLED's out as of yet :P.
I beg to differ again :p Sony has one on the market since a few months (well, not everywhere yet. eg: in Japan it will be out in december) ... ;)

Toshiba will probably follow in 2009 too...

EDIT: in fact, just order it: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...198552921665327724
only 2500$ :p

3mm thin... 1,000,000:1 contrast...
RE: Which TV??? by DejaVoo on 07-04-2008 at 07:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I went back to the stores today and had another look and I think at this stage I might go for the Samsung but in a 40 inch (funny how 32 inch looks small when surrounded by other televisions)…

It’s a little more than I wanted to spend at $2,500 AUD but I like the picture quality and it is very stylish. I also like the Sony XBR range, my parents recently bought the Sony XBR 52 inch version for the lounge room and it is really nice but the 40 inch version at $3,500 is a little more than I’m willing to spend…

As far as OLED I haven’t seen any out here at this stage (we seem to get things about 6 months or so later than the rest of the world). I know Sony have one on the market, I think it’s an 11 inch and it will probably be really expensive as most new technology is when it is first released. I’ll wait a few years until they are reasonably priced and a little bigger than 11 inches but agreed they do look awesome…

:)

RE: Which TV??? by vaccination on 07-04-2008 at 07:52 AM

32" when look so small when you get it home and put it on your desk, trust me :P

RE: Which TV??? by DejaVoo on 07-04-2008 at 08:05 AM

Well if I get the 32 inch I’ll save myself $1000 which I could put towards a laptop so maybe I’ll do that…

Damn... too many choices and decisions (typical girl I hear you all say) :P