Shoutbox

LG DVD-RAM problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: LG DVD-RAM problem (/showthread.php?tid=84702)

LG DVD-RAM problem by ryxdp on 07-07-2008 at 01:32 AM

Well, I've had this drive for a while now, and it's been fine up until recently.

Whenever I put a disc in it spins up and down repeatedly (I can hear it with my crappy speakers), and then tells me to insert the disc. I tried burning something and Nero told me DMA was not enabled. So I enabled it, but it seems the drive is in PIO mode, when it should be in DMA, as it's supported.

It's a fairly old drive, though, and I haven't used it in a while, so maybe it's a bit jammed or something?

LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B Firmware revision A105

Thanks in advance.

RE: LG DVD-RAM problem by Chancer on 07-07-2008 at 02:43 AM

I've heard a considerable number of cases about LG drives that suddenly refuse to read certain types of discs or cannot burn discs.

When did you buy it?

RE: RE: LG DVD-RAM problem by ryxdp on 07-07-2008 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
I've heard a considerable number of cases about LG drives that suddenly refuse to read certain types of discs or cannot burn discs.

It can probably burn fine (apart from the PIO slowing it down), but it's just reading them that seems to be the issue.

quote:
When did you buy it?

I have no idea, as I didn't actually buy it myself. It's not listed on the LG site anymore, but its release was around 2005 or something.
RE: LG DVD-RAM problem by andrewdodd13 on 07-07-2008 at 05:53 AM

I have the exact same DVD Burner in my spare and I am not having this problem (yet).

Try it in another computer. Also if you're using an nForce chipset and have the nForce IDE drivers installed (which you should, major performance benefit) then you can change the Transfer Mode on the IDE Controller page in Device Manager.

RE: LG DVD-RAM problem by aNILEator on 07-07-2008 at 06:47 AM

i think my dad has that drive.... and 2005 isn't old realy