Shoutbox

Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger (/showthread.php?tid=84791)

Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Quantum on 07-12-2008 at 11:22 AM

Well i set up my finger print reader (microsoft: digital persona 2.0) to log into windows live messenger. I scan my finger and i see it inserting the data but then i just get the windows live messenger box "Please enter a password".

It's getting annoying as i can't use it to log into windows live messenger.

How can i fix this problem?

Thanks,

Regards,

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Jarrod on 07-12-2008 at 11:32 AM

does it use verisoft by anychance?

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Quantum on 07-12-2008 at 11:47 AM

No :P

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by CookieRevised on 07-12-2008 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Well i set up my finger print reader (microsoft: digital persona 2.0) to log into windows live messenger. I scan my finger and i see it inserting the data but then i just get the windows live messenger box "Please enter a password".

It's getting annoying as i can't use it to log into windows live messenger.

How can i fix this problem?

Thanks,

Regards,
I don't have any experience with a fingerprint sensor (although I have one; I never use it), so...

But, in WLM did you first set everything up so it can log you in properly? That means did you checked the box "Log me in automatically" in WLM? This so it remembers your password.

As for as I know, such a finger print sensor is just used to log you in into your OS and then, if the sensor software allows it, do some automated tasks.

But those tasks are just that, simple tasks. It can't control every aspect of every software. You could tell it to start up some program, but that is it. If you want that program (WLM) to do anything more, you would need to set up that program itself so it does what you want. Aka check "Log me in automatically".

But, again, I have no experience with such finger print software, but this seems logic to me.
RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Quantum on 07-12-2008 at 02:16 PM

Microsoft finger print reader comes with digital persona that logs you into windows, websites or anything mde by microsoft with a log-in option. When you scan your finger it inputs the data and then clicks the button to login (it's like a robot but needs proof its you).

It should work but wlm gives me this error.

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by CookieRevised on 07-12-2008 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Microsoft finger print reader comes with digital persona that logs you into windows, websites or anything mde by microsoft with a log-in option.
Anything by MS? I bet it does not do that. There is bound to be a list with compatible software and/or small print saying that it can not do everything, but only supports apps which are capable of accepting information send by the fingerprint sensor software.

If it is based upon sending keys (which is crappy :p) then make sure that you've entered the login and password for Messenger correctly. Otherwise make sure you have ticked the options in WLM to log you in automatically or to remember your password.

If you did and it doesn't work then it clearly indicates it can not do "everything" :p

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by mattisdada on 07-12-2008 at 03:57 PM

If you have WLM9 it mighten be combatible.

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Quantum on 07-12-2008 at 04:16 PM

I don't want WLM to remember my password :P  Thats what my fingerprint reader is for :S

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by MattyRid on 07-13-2008 at 04:41 AM

but there is the problem, just because you set the fingerprint reader to put it in, means I play for Wigan in the English Super League (I Wish). As stated setting WLM to remember and log on automatically, you shouldn't have a problem.

RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by Menthix on 07-13-2008 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
As stated setting WLM to remember and log on automatically, you shouldn't have a problem.
Except that defeats the whole purpose of having a fingerprint reader for added security.
RE: Microsoft fingerprint reader & Windows Live messenger by jugarte on 08-29-2008 at 12:53 PM

WLM needs to recieve password characters from the keyboard, thats a fact and you cant do anything about it... the solution:

1.- Make WLM remember your email account only
2.- Place the mouse cursor on the password field
3.- Hit any arrow on your keyboard (theres the keystroke needed by WLM)
4.- Put you finger on the fingerprint reader
5.-  There you go!

(Step 1 is only the first time, steps 2, 3 and 4 will be all time steps)

See this as a 3 step security procedure for your WLM login, after a week you will do this 3 steps without even thinking about it.

*Set digital-persona to do only two steps:
-Auto Fill the password field (not the account field)
-Auto Press Login button

Cheers form Mexico!
Juan Ugarte