Shoutbox

[Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? (/showthread.php?tid=84793)

[Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 01:43 PM

[Image: 2663234146_d20031777f_o.jpg]

Meet Aurelia.

I was thinking today, if i had to redesign Messenger, how would i do it. So here's what i came up with, my ideal messenger app: Minimal, functional and retaining the Aero look and feel.

I would love to see this design realized, but i dont have any knowledge of XML, So are there any devs here would like to work with me to bring this to life?

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Jimbo on 07-12-2008 at 01:47 PM

That is a very good looking concept. I hope someone can look into making this as I would also certainly use it.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 01:49 PM

nice design, but yeah skins don't really work that way. You can only manipulate what is there and can't add new stuff or change the way things work.

That's like making a whole new messenger client which is beyond what can be done.

The contact list is probably the only thing that can be created, like there are a few minor things that aren't possible but overall the contact list could be done.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nathan on 07-12-2008 at 01:57 PM

That's sexy! Willz build upon it - and make it even better ;)

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 02:03 PM

thanks for the quick responses guys!

@willz: yeah thats what i was worried about, but is it possible to move things around in the contact list?

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nathan on 07-12-2008 at 02:04 PM

Yes it is possible to move stuff round, it's a nice concept - I'd use it imo

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nathan on 07-12-2008 at 02:06 PM

INFACT! PM me - I might do this myself... I've got plenty of really good ideas...

Ok, after looking at it again and willz explaining :P I've decided this is out of my reach...

RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by drp7
thanks for the quick responses guys!

@willz: yeah thats what i was worried about, but is it possible to move things around in the contact list?

Yes you can move things around in the contact list.

Like i said the contact list is possible because the majority of the original UI is there and its just mainly styling and moving.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 02:30 PM

I wanted to put a display picture before the name in the chat window like in the second screenshot but I didn't come around it. I am sure it possible though. I just don't know the exact way to do it.

RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I wanted to put a display picture before the name in the chat window like in the second screenshot but I didn't come around it. I am sure it possible though. I just don't know the exact way to do it.

Nope, the second you move the display picture out of the element that holds messenger will just crap itself and do random things.

The other issue is that the webcam is directly linked to that display picture element so it will cause all sorts of stuff ups.
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 02:38 PM

I mean just put your display picture there. Not to move the other ones. There must be a way to just put a picture there.

RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 02:45 PM

quote:
I mean just put your display picture there. Not to move the other ones. There must be a way to just put a picture there.

That would involve creating something custom which can't be done (with just skinning). You can only take what already exists in a window and modify it slightly. You can't add new custom elements such as display pictures, buttons that do custom actions etc.

Trust me on this one, I have gone through a lot of experiments these past few years ;) I say this stuff because I've been there, done that.

*edit - add on what Nile said as well :P
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by aNILEator on 07-12-2008 at 02:45 PM

quote:

That 'there must be a way' hopeful thinking doesn't work in the world of messenger skinning land :P

I mean just looking at it, the skin file is all over the place, it doesn't read like the application looks toolbars are at the bottom of the files when the toolbar itself is at the top of the window etc.

It's a wonder it works in itself.
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
quote:

That would involve creating something custom which can't be done (with just skinning). You can only take what already exists in a window and modify it slightly. You can't add new custom elements such as display pictures, buttons that do custom actions etc.

Trust me on this one, I have gone through a lot of experiments these past few years ;) I say this stuff because I've been there, done that.
OK, I believe you and I have no reason not to since you are the most experienced skinner here. But how do you insert your button below MinMaxClose buttons. Isn't it a custom button too?
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by aNILEator on 07-12-2008 at 02:49 PM

quote:
OK. But how do you insert your button below MinMaxClose buttons. Isn't it a custom button too?

It uses the same rulings and techniques found in the styles, and links to already built in features of plus or messenger.

I have a button similar in 'OR'
RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 02:52 PM

quote:
But how do you insert your button below MinMaxClose buttons. Isn't it a custom button too?

Its custom in the sense that I have taken an existing part of messenger and just changed its contents. But everything that I did to make it was just using stuff that already existed in the windows of messenger which is why it is possible. I did not make anything that wasn't already there or try to create a new thing.

I'm not gonna talk about it because its sorta my trademark and I''m not gonna let it go just yet :P
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 02:55 PM

Now I see. Would it be possible though to move the DP's to the right of the window?

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 02:59 PM

thanks for the insight willz, let me work on another convo window while keeping the UI positioning intact.

RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 03:12 PM

quote:
thanks for the insight willz, let me work on another convo window while keeping the UI positioning intact.

yeah no probs man,

just remember, don't add anything that isn't there already :P and that certain things can't really be moved too much.
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Volv on 07-12-2008 at 03:25 PM

I hope those aren't your contacts' real email addresses in the screenshot - you may want to blur those out :p

RE: RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by TheSteve on 07-12-2008 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
just remember, don't add anything that isn't there already :P
Only add things which are expected to be static(unchanging) unless there is already a known feature in messenger which allows you to be dynamic.

As far as the design goes, the view all history part might be possible if MsgPlus is listening for a specific command id on the window.  To figure that out, you'd have to do a bit of forensics, or ask Patchou(unless that link triggers messenger's full history, in which case, you're stuck with forensics).
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 03:44 PM

@Volv: haha dont worry, ive changed all addresses, coz i hate blurring screenshots :D (its all about the presentation)

@TheSteve: thanks alot for your advice, il have a new revision of the design up soon!

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 04:13 PM

okay guys just updated with a new revision of the design! tell me what you think!

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by aNILEator on 07-12-2008 at 05:30 PM

well it's clean and simple :)

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Basilis on 07-12-2008 at 05:35 PM

The only thing I don't like is that yellow bar in the chat window :)

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by aNILEator on 07-12-2008 at 06:03 PM

quote:
The only thing I don't like is that yellow bar in the chat window (Smilie)
I could imagine that being colourized gently personally
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-12-2008 at 06:27 PM

my least favorite part is the space wasted on the display icon area in the chat window hahah :)

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nathan on 07-12-2008 at 06:29 PM

You need to implement a scrollbar for the chat convo...

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Willz on 07-12-2008 at 10:47 PM

well that one is certainly a bit more realistic.

There are still a few things that aren't possible (for example the way you have the chat history are formatted can't be done because we don't have any fine control over that, but you can definitely just have the background color you want there)

But yeah its more realistic now. Nice work.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nagamasa on 07-12-2008 at 11:55 PM

I think I can start with the basics of the skin, except I'm pretty bad at photoshopping. Wanna help me out?

I'll start with the 947, seeing that is one of the most simple window, yet regularly seen.

What font is that btw? (And if you haven't been reading the forums, yes we can and we know how to change the font.)

RE: RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by ryxdp on 07-13-2008 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I'm pretty bad at photoshopping. Wanna help me out?

That'd be easy to make...without Photoshop even. I can do the 636/7/40 and 1652 parts easily in Paint.NET if you want, and I've got some Vista minmaxclose glyphs (not the buttons).
RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-13-2008 at 02:18 AM

The typeface is Segoe UI, the default system font in Vista.

So anyone wanna work with me on this? :D

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by drp7 on 07-13-2008 at 04:24 AM

updated with list view!

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by aNILEator on 07-13-2008 at 06:56 AM

I don't think we can control the contact list names list like that Messenger plus colours and formatting will take over?

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Andylongi on 07-13-2008 at 07:21 AM

I like it but just one question will there be display pics also when i`m not using the contact details would be really great and i would use it then too.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Volv on 07-13-2008 at 08:28 AM

Looks good, but is still missing the Contact List and Conversation window advertisements.

RE: [Concept] Aurelia. Any devs want to help build this? by Nagamasa on 07-14-2008 at 06:28 AM

quote:
The typeface is Segoe UI, the default system font in Vista.
Okay.
quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp

That'd be easy to make...without Photoshop even. I can do the 636/7/40 and 1652 parts easily in Paint.NET if you want, and I've got some Vista minmaxclose glyphs (not the buttons).
Yeah sure please help me. :)

drp7, please PM me with your WL ID. I'll add you on WLM, and we can discuss things later. Also, make a sign-in window image too :P