Shoutbox

Making vista more secrure? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Making vista more secrure? (/showthread.php?tid=84808)

Making vista more secrure? by Quantum on 07-13-2008 at 05:48 PM

Well i noticed that if i take my hard drive out of my laptop and put in into my pc i can access everything on it without any protection to stop it.

I also know that windows vista is not secrure and can be hacked in minutes.

What can i do to solve the first problem and is there anything else i can do to keep all my things safe? Is there someone i can do to prevent my password from being cracked with a tool or bootable hack disk?

I did search but there isn't anything that helps.

Thanks alot,

john-t

RE: Making vista more secrure? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 05:51 PM

I don't think having sex with anyone will help

RE: Making vista more secrure? by Kenji on 07-13-2008 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
I don't think having sex with anyone will help
Well its not like he is going to get it that easily anyway.. 8-)
RE: Making vista more secrure? by foaly on 07-13-2008 at 06:01 PM

Someone with a screwdriver and the correct software will always be able to acces your computer and hardrive information.

RE: Making vista more secrure? by kotjze on 07-13-2008 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Well i noticed that if i take my hard drive out of my laptop and put in into my pc i can access everything on it without any protection to stop it.
What? Did you just expect Vista to encrypt your whole harddrive or something like that? If you boot into a linux livecd you would still be able to access everything too.

RE: Making vista more secrure? by Nathan on 07-13-2008 at 06:26 PM

Quick question - when you set a boot password, you have the option to add a password to the HDD. Is this information stored on the HDD or on the bios chip? So if you set a HDD password and transfer it to another computer, will it still ask for a password?

RE: RE: Making vista more secrure? by andrewdodd13 on 07-13-2008 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kotjze
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
What? Did you just expect Vista to encrypt your whole harddrive or something like that? If you boot into a linux livecd you would still be able to access everything too.

I'm no Vista expert, but isnt that the entire point of Bit-Locker?

TrueCrypt is apparently pretty good at encrypting boot volumes, we use it at work to encrypt USB drives.
RE: Making vista more secrure? by Menthix on 07-14-2008 at 01:36 AM

This isn't a Vista specific problem (not even Windows specific). On every OS you will be able to bypass any kind of security when you have physical access to the machine, unless the files are strongly encrypted (and even that isn't fail proof).

andrew's suggestions are with checking out. But, keep in mind encrypting/decrypting the files will decrease performance a bit as your CPU need time to handle the files.

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Did you try "format C:"??
I assure no one will access your information.
Actually, you could still get the data after a format :p.