Shoutbox

Did my harddrive die? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Did my harddrive die? (/showthread.php?tid=84810)

Did my harddrive die? by Exca on 07-13-2008 at 07:09 PM

Well, there's nothing wrong with it (i guess)...

But it recently won't open one folder anymore. I can open everything only 1 folder where it says "**** is not accessible. File or folder is damaged and unreadable".

I'm like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wall: right now. Is there any way to solve it? It's one of those packard bell 250gig usb2.0 external harddrives. I got enough music in that folder i don't wanna lose.

RE: Did my harddrive die? by Basilis on 07-13-2008 at 07:28 PM

Can you remember what you put in that folder the last time you opened it. Can you try copy/paste the file and the try to open the new file.

RE: Did my harddrive die? by MeEtc on 07-13-2008 at 09:40 PM

right click folder> properties > security
is your user or group listed?

RE: Did my harddrive die? by Exca on 07-14-2008 at 08:42 AM

My user/group is indeed listed. I don't know what file I last put in there... as far as I know it's been ages I have put anything in there, it's like an archive with subfolders and stuff, I haven't organised in it for months.

It like just... died

RE: Did my harddrive die? by mattisdada on 07-14-2008 at 11:54 AM

Tried copying the folder to another location? Or does it just error up again?
And does your user/group have full privilages?

If none of the above work. Get a program called AnyReader and just copy the file from there to another part of the hard drive (say to the desktop, or to another folder on the ext hdd). You may loose a few songs if that portion of the disk is corrupted, but you'l get the majourity of it back AT LEAST.

RE: Did my harddrive die? by ipab on 07-14-2008 at 02:41 PM

Have  you tried running check disk on it? I know it might be too trivial of a suggestion, but I have seen it do many wondrous things, and it doesn't hurt to try :).

Open "My Computer", right click on the drive and go to properties, then go to the tools tab and click on the "Check now" button under "Error-Checking". Select both check boxes and hit start.

Sorry if I assumed you didn't know that, I just wanted to do it all in one post.

If that does nothing, then post back here and I have an alternate suggestion.

RE: Did my harddrive die? by Exca on 07-14-2008 at 02:52 PM

Well ipab :) you were right, it worked!
Everything's back to normal

Thanks all

RE: Did my harddrive die? by ipab on 07-14-2008 at 04:08 PM

Glad to know :).