Shoutbox

Weird Graphics Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Weird Graphics Problem (/showthread.php?tid=84835)

Weird Graphics Problem by Chris4 on 07-15-2008 at 01:20 AM

So I keep getting purple dots, random dots and lines across my screen for the past few days, obviously something to do with the graphics card.

The computer (which I built) is only 9 months old. The graphics card is an "ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB".

Do you think it's failing? Should I phone up the manufacturer? It should have warranty.

Oh and here's what I just got which made me decide that enough is enough, got some matrix lines or something:

[Image: 2mq7rci.jpg]

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by matty on 07-15-2008 at 01:38 AM

Yup its failing :)

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Chancer on 07-15-2008 at 01:50 AM

Did you check the cable?

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Lou on 07-15-2008 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Did you check the cable?
I doubt it's the cable, because he took a screenshot and it remained the same even in the screenshot:undecided:.
RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Chancer on 07-15-2008 at 02:10 AM

D'oh! That's true.
So...check if the card is well attached...

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by matty on 07-15-2008 at 02:12 AM

quote:
D'oh! That's true.
If it wasn't the PC would beep during POST or you would get no display.
RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Adeptus on 07-15-2008 at 03:32 AM

It is worth trying to reseat the card in the slot -- it's not the most likely cause, but it is very easy to try.  While doing that, check that the heatsink isn't clogged with dust and the fan is working properly (turn the computer on with the cover off and watch it spin).

I'd also think about whether you have done anything recently on the software side, such as installed new driver, tried to overclock the card or tinkered with your advanced BIOS settings.

If nothing on that short checklist helps, it's probably failing RAM on the card and you will need to replace it or exercise your warranty rights.

RE: RE: Weird Graphics Problem by ipab on 07-15-2008 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
D'oh! That's true.

That is the most sound explanation to the problem in this entire thread... Seriously, if you say that you only bought it 9 months ago, does it really matter what it is, all you need to know is whether it is messed or not, and quite obviously it is. Warranty is there for a reason, you might as well claim it while it lasts.

P.S. Awesome wallpaper btw.
RE: Weird Graphics Problem by mattisdada on 07-15-2008 at 06:11 AM

Possibly drivers are screwing up? Do you get the same lines when in bios or in a live CD or something (or in a different operating system)?

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Chris4 on 07-16-2008 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
D'oh! That's true.

That is the most sound explanation to the problem in this entire thread... Seriously, if you say that you only bought it 9 months ago, does it really matter what it is, all you need to know is whether it is messed or not, and quite obviously it is. Warranty is there for a reason, you might as well claim it while it lasts.

P.S. Awesome wallpaper btw.

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Possibly drivers are screwing up? Do you get the same lines when in bios or in a live CD or something (or in a different operating system)?
Well it just happens randomly every couple months. It's stopped now. I reinstalled the drivers. Still could of just gone by coincidence. I'll find the warranty info and see what I can do.
RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Nathan on 07-16-2008 at 12:59 PM

Does it happen after it's been on for a while? Or if it's a particularly hot day? Because my laptop does this (ATI) - ok not this exactly but similair, it slows down in performance and has alot of spikes. Especially with games - and when i alt-tab out of them it has problems parsing images and windows and such

RE: Weird Graphics Problem by Chris4 on 07-18-2008 at 02:07 AM

Hmm, no. It wasn't on for a long amount of time I don't think.