Shoutbox

Patchou Bring back /clear !!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! (/showthread.php?tid=84921)

Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Th3rmal on 07-19-2008 at 10:32 AM

Patchou can you please bring back the /clear command? Why was it taken out in the first place?

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Aardvark on 07-19-2008 at 10:35 AM

While we're at bringing back things to commands, bring back when you type /invite a list of your contacts emails comes up for easy selectage.

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Tochjo on 07-19-2008 at 10:43 AM

There are some technical limitations that prevented Patchou from implementing the /clear command in the latest version of Plus!.

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by zach on 07-19-2008 at 11:42 AM

There's already some threads on this, does Mattike's script still work?

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Quantum on 07-19-2008 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
There's already some threads on this, does Mattike's script still work?

It works but it closes and then opens. I think thermal wants the text to clear from the box.
RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Th3rmal on 07-19-2008 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
There are some technical limitations that prevented Patchou from implementing the /clear command in the latest version of Plus!.
aww man. Is this something that will hopefully be fixed or will this never be implemented again?

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Tochjo on 07-19-2008 at 12:14 PM

Patchou said several months ago he would think about a new way of implementing it if he could find the time, so apparently he hasn't found any time so far. Perhaps he'll read this and try to come up with something.

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Th3rmal on 07-19-2008 at 12:17 PM

Just installed mattike's script, still works well, but not as convenient as the old /clear :(

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Patchou said several months ago he would think about a new way of implementing it if he could find the time, so apparently he hasn't found any time so far. Perhaps he'll read this and try to come up with something.
I hope he does >_<
RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Voldemort on 07-20-2008 at 03:49 AM

iirc Plus can't manipulate anything inside the conversation window...

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by riahc4 on 08-11-2008 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Well /me works and scripts that make fake invites also work.

Isn't that consider manipulation?
RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by Spunky on 08-11-2008 at 08:55 PM

Thats changes the message before it is entered in the chat window area, rather than changing the existing text or layout.

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by ZrednaZ on 08-11-2008 at 10:39 PM

What did it used to do? Give you an empty conversation window? I can see why Patchou wouldn't want to waste too much time with something like that...

Shift+[Hold Enter a few secs]
Enter

That ought to tidy up your window... ;)

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by ipab on 08-12-2008 at 01:09 AM

Or ESC...

RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by CookieRevised on 08-12-2008 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Well /me works and scripts that make fake invites also work.

Isn't that consider manipulation?
Thats changes the message before it is entered in the chat window area, rather than changing the existing text or layout.
Absolutely correct,

---

However, it is sometimes very handy to be able to clear the window!

Entering a gazillion new lines (shift+enter) is just as good as restarting your computer or spamming your contact with 1000 random emoticons. aka: no solution at all :p

As for closing the convo (ESC) and reopening it, that will still fill up the convo with the "last convo" if you have that enabled. And many people have that enabled.

/clear was a realy usefull function for some people and I can sure understand it would be handy if it was made again. I used it all the time in Plus!3 and realy miss it now...
RE: RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by ZrednaZ on 08-12-2008 at 11:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

/clear was a realy usefull function for some people and I can sure understand it would be handy if it was made again. I used it all the time in Plus!3 and realy miss it now...
Why? Are these the same kind of people who can't stand to have a single speck of dust on their desk, so more white area on their computer screen makes them feel better as well? :P

I can think of one use and one use only for a feature like this: When you're at a LAN party and a friend comes to look at your screen, but you want to maintain your privacy. However, minimizing is a more common solution for this, and it makes you seem neither rude nor childish.
RE: Patchou Bring back /clear !!! by CookieRevised on 08-12-2008 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Why? Are these the same kind of people who can't stand to have a single speck of dust on their desk, so more white area on their computer screen makes them feel better as well? :P
No, for the same reasons there is a cls DOS command, a /clear in command in mIRC, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...