Shoutbox

Weird powersurge or something - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Weird powersurge or something (/showthread.php?tid=84922)

Weird powersurge or something by Jimbo on 07-19-2008 at 10:52 AM

About 10 minutes ago, my computer and my xbox 360 just shut off and wouldnt turn on for about 1 minute. What was also weird is that my xbox showed the 3 red lights for a minute. All the other electrical appliances in my house still stayed on. But also, at the same time i heard about 5 car alarms go off outside. I thought that this was very strange and was just wondering what might of caused it. Btw, theres no storms or anything going on but it is quite cloudy outside.
Anyone know what could of caused it?

RE: Weird powersurge or something by zach on 07-19-2008 at 11:32 AM

The x360 usually 3RL's after a power surge. I don't know why car alarms would go off though :s

RE: Weird powersurge or something by Jimbo on 07-19-2008 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
The x360 usually 3RL's after a power surge. I don't know why car alarms would go off though :s
Exactly what i thought. I also thought it was weird that only my computer and my xbox turned off. Nothing else in the house did.
RE: Weird powersurge or something by zach on 07-19-2008 at 11:55 AM

Maybe they're on a different circuit from the rest of appliances.

RE: Weird powersurge or something by Volv on 07-19-2008 at 12:07 PM

Take your pick:
A) There was an earthquake.
B) Godzilla's about outside.
C) The cars are really Transformers (more than meets the eye), and when the transformers blew your appliances could no longer operate.

RE: Weird powersurge or something by Th3rmal on 07-19-2008 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Take your pick:
A) There was an earthquake.
B) Godzilla's about outside.
C) The cars are really Transformers (more than meets the eye), and when the transformers blew your appliances could no longer operate.
D) There was a power surge that only affected the circuit which his pc and xbox are on, and a car robber had a REALLY bad run (or some kids messing with the cars...) :P
RE: Weird powersurge or something by mattisdada on 07-19-2008 at 12:39 PM

E) God has chosen his new "chosen one" and the chosen one isnt allowed to play games. Or drive cars.

RE: Weird powersurge or something by vaccination on 07-19-2008 at 12:49 PM

Could be some strange build up of electrical charge in atmosphere which surged both your house and the cars outside.

RE: Weird powersurge or something by NiteMare on 07-19-2008 at 06:01 PM

it could have been a slight EMP (electro magnetic pulse), a strong enough emp can cause appliances to overload short curcit and basicly fry, so it seems to reason a weaker one, from maybe a small explosion, or perhaps a near by generator malfunctioning, or an atmospheric disturbance could cause one that will simply cause a surge on certian complex electrical devices such as computers game consols or car alarms

RE: Weird powersurge or something by andrewdodd13 on 07-19-2008 at 07:29 PM

It was probably an electrical phantom - sucked off your 360 and PC cause they have the highest power consumption (except the refrigerator, but the freon coolant hurts them) and then ghosted through the cars setting off their motion detection alarms.

;)

RE: Weird powersurge or something by Voldemort on 07-20-2008 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
i heard about 5 car alarms go off outside.
a thunder that you missed?
sometimes the simplest explanation is better
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
more than meets the eye
ahaahahahhahhahahahaahhahahaha win quote.... never say that to a chick though.
RE: Weird powersurge or something by Jimbo on 07-20-2008 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:

But the weather was fine, it was a bit cloudy but wasnt raining or anything.
EDIT: and isnt thunder the one you hear, and the lightning the one you see and the one that hits the ground?
RE: RE: Weird powersurge or something by High Speed Chaser on 07-20-2008 at 11:37 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

and isnt thunder the one you hear, and the lightning the one you see and the one that hits the ground?

Yes

What colour were the clouds?

RE: Weird powersurge or something by vaccination on 07-20-2008 at 11:39 AM

Lightening rarely hits the ground in England though.(it's called fork lightening, btw) We mostly have sheet lightening(just flashes across the sky)

Both thunder and lightening carry electric currents of sorts, the car wouldn't need to be hit by lightening to be set off(infact it'd probably melt the tires right off if it was, as it uses the cars body as a way to earth it's self.) The sheer build up of electrical charge in the atmosphere could set it off(theoretically I guess, I imagine it'd have to be a pretty large charge for it to affect the cars simply from the atmosphere) which means both lightening and thunder.

Either way I doubt you wouldn't notice a storm big enough for that happen.

RE: Weird powersurge or something by Jimbo on 07-20-2008 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
quote:
quote:
quote:

and isnt thunder the one you hear, and the lightning the one you see and the one that hits the ground?

Yes

What colour were the clouds?
White
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Lightening rarely hits the ground in England though.(it's called fork lightening, btw) We mostly have sheet lightening(just flashes across the sky)

Both thunder and lightening carry electric currents of sorts, the car wouldn't need to be hit by lightening to be set off(infact it'd probably melt the tires right off if it was, as it uses the cars body as a way to earth it's self.) The sheer build up of electrical charge in the atmosphere could set it off(theoretically I guess, I imagine it'd have to be a pretty large charge for it to affect the cars simply from the atmosphere) which means both lightening and thunder.

Either way I doubt you wouldn't notice a storm big enough for that happen.
Yes exactly. Oh well, it happened and every is working again so im not really bothered. I was just curious about why it happened:P
RE: Weird powersurge or something by Voldemort on 07-21-2008 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
(infact it'd probably melt the tires right off if it was, as it uses the cars body as a way to earth it's self.)
LOL NO!

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/vehicle_strike.html
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1997-08/872628071.Ph.r.html

It can make a hole on a tire though:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/News/D...=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
a lightning provoked fire that melted the tires
http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...4/NEWS01/807040311
RE: RE: Weird powersurge or something by CookieRevised on 07-21-2008 at 08:48 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zach
Exactly what i thought. I also thought it was weird that only my computer and my xbox turned off. Nothing else in the house did.
I doubt it was a power surge (more voltage than normal). It might have been a brief power down/cut (no voltage at all) though.

Computers are extremely sensitive to power surges or power downs. And even a few millisecs of no power can turn your computer off or rebooting.

Other appliances (especially the common household stuff) are usually not so sensitive and you might not even notice when the power is cut for a few hundreds of millisecs.

--------

As for the cars, that might have been coincidence too. And one car alarm might trigger another car alarm (happens a lot where I work... so much that a guy from one of those cars permanently turned his alarm off since it was way too sensitive (and after we complained a lot) :p lol). Or a kid who thought it was funny to push cars while he walked by.

--------

Though, I would realy keep an eye out for that choosen one.....