Shoutbox

Multi-monitors - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Multi-monitors (/showthread.php?tid=84961)

Multi-monitors by Jimbo on 07-22-2008 at 09:53 AM

I want to buy a new monitor so i can have 2 monitors, but i first want to know if its possible with only one monitor slot on my case. Can you get like a splitter or something? Also, will my graphics card support 2 monitors?

Graphics card:    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS

RE: Multi-monitors by Chris4 on 07-22-2008 at 10:03 AM

Video: PC World - How to Set Up Multiple Monitors

Articles:
Microsoft - Two monitors are better than one
Multi-Monitor Guide - Required hardware and software

quote:
Hardware requirements: one video card for each monitor, or a video card which supports 2 or more monitors.

RE: Multi-monitors by Jimbo on 07-22-2008 at 10:07 AM

Thanks Chris.
I just had a look at my case and i found that i have 1 VGA conenction which is in use at the moment, and also 1 DVI connection. Can i connect a monitor up using DVI? or do i have to buy a special monitor that supports DVI?
EDIT: Ah thats sucks. I assume my video card doesnt support 2 monitors as its quite old :(

RE: Multi-monitors by Chris4 on 07-22-2008 at 10:21 AM

Well here is your graphics card, and it says:

quote:
NVIDIAŽ nView Multi-Display Technology
Advanced technology provides the ultimate in viewing flexible and control for multiple monitors..

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I just had a look at my case and i found that i have 1 VGA conenction which is in use at the moment, and also 1 DVI connection. Can i connect a monitor up using DVI? or do i have to buy a special monitor that supports DVI?
I believe you can get a VGA monitor, then get an adapter to change VGA-DVI? Not sure though. DVI supported monitors are widely available.

Edit: a DVI to VGA adapter should allow you to connect a VGA monitor to a DVI input, I think.

Edit2: THOMANN DVI/ VGA ADAPTER description:
quote:
Adapter DVI(m) auf VGA(f), DVI-VGA adapter for connecting analog VGA displays to DVI Graphics Cards
Which is what you need :)
RE: Multi-monitors by vaccination on 07-22-2008 at 11:13 AM

Why? Most PC monitors these days are DVI, if you have a spare DVI output slot on your graphics card, all you need to do is buy a monitor with a DVI input(which should be most) and just leave your current VGA monitor in the VGA output.

RE: Multi-monitors by Voldemort on 07-22-2008 at 02:38 PM

Are you sure the VGA and DVI input will provide different output?

RE: Multi-monitors by Menthix on 07-22-2008 at 02:45 PM

Chris quoted it should. I don't think i ever saw a graphicscard with more than one output (VGA/DVI) not capable of dual monitor.

RE: Multi-monitors by albert on 07-22-2008 at 03:49 PM

Funny. I was just looking into something that has to do with this.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtool....asp?EdpNo=1088606

This exact model might not be perfect; but solutions like that seem to exist. So if you get stuck; think about this.

RE: Multi-monitors by ShawnZ on 07-22-2008 at 03:58 PM

he has two outputs :p

just get a DVI->VGA adapter or a DVI monitor. it'll work.

RE: Multi-monitors by Menthix on 07-22-2008 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1088606
Expensive. You could get a fairly nice new GPU with two DVI outputs and S-Video for less than that.
RE: Multi-monitors by Vilkku on 07-22-2008 at 07:12 PM

I had an GeForce 6800 LE, it had one VGA and one DVI output, so I hooked one monitor in one connection and another one in the other, and I got two outputs (it was a bit heavy on the card tho). Also, most cards come with an VGA-to-DVI adapter, so that you can plug in one monitor with a VGA plug in the VGA port and then use the connection for the other to use two monitors that only support VGA.

RE: Multi-monitors by albert on 07-22-2008 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1088606
Expensive. You could get a fairly nice new GPU with two DVI outputs and S-Video for less than that.

Yeah, but this is more likely aimed at laptops.
RE: Multi-monitors by prashker on 07-22-2008 at 07:30 PM

I have 2 DVI slots on my 8800GT, but my 19" LCD is VGA (well it's also DVI but my dad is using that cable :p)...thankfully the card itself came with 2 VGA to DVI adapters :p

RE: Multi-monitors by Voldemort on 07-22-2008 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Yeah, but this is more likely aimed at laptops.
?!?! 99% percent of the laptops have vga output
RE: Multi-monitors by albert on 07-22-2008 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
?!?! 99% percent of the laptops have vga output

One vga output.
RE: Multi-monitors by Snake on 07-23-2008 at 06:12 PM

I have used the USB VGA adapters and I find to use them on a desktop machine annoying. It's to slow do anything productive with. :P