Shoutbox

messenger exits without notice - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: messenger exits without notice (/showthread.php?tid=84962)

messenger exits without notice by orit on 07-22-2008 at 10:18 AM

Hello. A few weeks ago I've installed messenger plus version 4.6.0.326. my msn messenger version is windows live messenger 8.5.1302.
Sometimes, and I still haven't figured out why and when, the program simply "dies". For example, I've minimized it to the task bar, and continued doing other things in the computer. then i tried to double click on it to open the window and send a message to someone, but when i go over the icon with my mouse, it disappears. So it means the program exited already and I didn't even know it.
Another way it ends, is sometimes (not every time) after a video chat, when i close the window, I get the message that msn needs to close, and asks if i want to send bug report.

another bug (in my opinion) is, if i got messeges while i was offline, in the history log, the time of those messeges is registered on the time i saw the messeges and not the real time they were sent.

RE: messenger exits without notice by Chris4 on 07-22-2008 at 10:41 AM

What is your operating system?

RE: messenger exits without notice by orit on 07-22-2008 at 11:47 AM

windows xp proffesional

RE: messenger exits without notice by vaccination on 07-22-2008 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by orit

another bug (in my opinion) is, if i got messeges while i was offline, in the history log, the time of those messeges is registered on the time i saw the messeges and not the real time they were sent.
That's because you don't receive the messages until you sign in, therefore technically you received it at the time you signed in. The messages are stored on a server(afaik) and sent to you when you sign in, so as far as the client is concerned you have received the message at the time of signing in.
RE: messenger exits without notice by orit on 07-22-2008 at 12:50 PM

yes but in the original messenger, they log the history with the time the message was written by the other contact, and not the time i saw it. why can't it be the same with messenger plus?

RE: messenger exits without notice by CookieRevised on 07-22-2008 at 06:49 PM

Because Messenger Plus! does not control all those things, especially not offline messages.

Remember that Messenger Plus! is just an addon. You are still using Windows Live Messenger.

The first thing you should do is to uninstall Messenger Plus! and use Messenger for a while without it. Then see if those crashes still occur.

Also, do you have any scripts installed in Messenger Plus!? If so, remove them, and again see if the crashes still occur.... Some Messenger Plus! scripts can cause crashes like yours (especially if they use the Xniff ActiveX).

Also, do you have any other tools installed for Messenger? This includes patches. If so, remove them all.

And last, try to redownload Messenger and install it again (dont do a repair, but do a full new install).

RE: messenger exits without notice by ahmetgns on 07-24-2008 at 10:13 AM

I have experienced this when I had a bad connection: Messenger exits itself without saying anything

Make sure your connection is good.