Shoutbox

Graphic Card questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Graphic Card questions (/showthread.php?tid=85030)

Graphic Card questions by Hotdeal on 07-27-2008 at 08:27 AM

i'm thinking about buying a Nvidea GeForce 8500 GT but I have a few questions
Are they hard to install?, or can I just remove the Comp case and slide it in
And do graphic cards work with any computers?
or do some graphic cards not work with every computer

RE: Graphic Card questions by kao on 07-27-2008 at 10:17 AM

What graphics card do you have now? What motherboard do you have now? They don't work on any computer, your motherboard will need to have a PCI express slot.

RE: Graphic Card questions by Hotdeal on 07-27-2008 at 07:54 PM

My graphic card is : Intel(R) 82915G Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 82915G Express Chipset Controller)
My motherboard (Which im guessing is called CPU) is : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz

RE: Graphic Card questions by Chancer on 07-28-2008 at 03:20 AM

CPU is your processor, not motherboard.
If you don't know what motherboard you own, I recommend you to open your case, and see the video slot.
Here you have a photo comparing AGP and PCI-e.
See which type fits in you board. Then tell us, so we can help you.

RE: Graphic Card questions by Mnjul on 07-28-2008 at 07:20 AM

82915G chipset supports PCIe... I think you can have the card.

RE: Graphic Card questions by mattisdada on 07-28-2008 at 08:29 AM

Id recommend either the 8800GT (for better performance but costs more, still very good valued though), or the 9600GT(its cheaper, but not as good as the 8800GT, but it is better value)

Value = Performance per doller.

RE: Graphic Card questions by Jesus on 07-28-2008 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Id recommend either the 8800GT (for better performance but costs more, still very good valued though), or the 9600GT(its cheaper, but not as good as the 8800GT, but it is better value)

Value = Performance per doller.
^o)
Both cards you mention are about 2-3 times as expensive as the 8500GT which the topic starter was looking at.
Sure they'll have better performance, but I don't think Hotdeal has the money to buy one of the higher end cards.
Why would he be looking at the 8500GT if he could afford an 8800GT or 9600GT?
RE: Graphic Card questions by mattisdada on 07-28-2008 at 09:17 PM

Well maybe he doesnt know how crap the 8500GT is? Its one of the worst cards on the market.

RE: Graphic Card questions by Phillip on 07-28-2008 at 09:34 PM

The 8800 would be limited by all the other crappy parts in his computer.

RE: Graphic Card questions by mattisdada on 07-28-2008 at 10:04 PM

True, but the 8500GT is only for users wanting a intergrated graphics like experince with DX10.

RE: Graphic Card questions by Jesus on 07-28-2008 at 11:23 PM

still, recommending one of the cards you mentioned to someone looking at an 8500GT is like recommending a brand new mercedes to someone looking at a second hand mitsubishi for that matter. It just isn't useful in the discussion.

Anyway, back on topic:
It may not seem like I do, but I partially agree with mattisdada, he just could have worded it a bit better.
If you don't mean to play games with it and all your software (especially video editing software etc.) works fine, don't upgrade.
If you have problems with e.g. video editing software, upgrading your card might work, but is not guaranteed to do so. I solved a problem like this only once with a new graphics card.
If you want to upgrade to play modern games at quite high quality, you probably won't be satisfied with the 8500GT's performance. In that case, save up some more money and buy a higher end card like mattisdada mentioned.
For low quality gaming, the 8500GT might be ok for now. Just don't expect to be able to play future games with it.