Shoutbox

[suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element (/showthread.php?tid=85040)

[suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by SmokingCookie on 07-28-2008 at 08:07 AM

Hi,

Isn't it an idea to allow LinkControls have a Caption element (text you see) and an URL element (link to navigate to when clicked) that can be overridden by scripts with OnWindowIdEvent_CtrlClicked()?

This is especially of interest with the about windows of skins (at least it can be)...

RE: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by Spunky on 07-28-2008 at 09:28 AM

No, as you can be taken to inappropriate/dangerous websites. This is the same reason WLM doesn't allow it

RE: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by SmokingCookie on 07-28-2008 at 09:55 AM

I see, but any scripter can make a LinkControl in their windows stating url 1 (lets say google.com) and when the control is clicked, they can launch any website. And any website can use <p><a href="DangerousWeb.com">Visit google.nl</a></p>

EDIT:: And scripts and skins are tested when submitted to the DB.

RE: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by Spunky on 07-28-2008 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
EDIT:: And scripts and skins are tested when submitted to the DB.

Only if going on to the database, not if they're passed around or on forums etc.

RE: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by Basilis on 07-28-2008 at 11:11 AM

Yes but you can be taken to dangerous sites even with one link, e.g the AboutUrl which can be anything. Someone could post his skin here and the AboutUrl could be something harmful. So even now we are not sure a skin posted here is safe.

RE: [suggestion] LinkControls having an URL element by SmokingCookie on 07-28-2008 at 12:37 PM

Those are good points.. Well, I think you're right, so I'll stop yappin' about it :P