Shoutbox

Password my Chat Log - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Password my Chat Log (/showthread.php?tid=85060)

Password my Chat Log by xiaozhu on 07-29-2008 at 10:02 AM

I found the method to do so from the Perferences under Messenger Plus, but how do I go about password protecting each existing chat log files?

I also realise theres 2 directories for the chat logs,

1 under My Received Files while another one is under My Chat Logs.

Awaiting for your replies. ty.

RE: Password my Chat Log by Spunky on 07-29-2008 at 12:55 PM

One is WLM's own chat logs (in My Received Files I think) and IIRC cannot be encrypted (well, not by plus anyway)

RE: Password my Chat Log by xiaozhu on 08-03-2008 at 09:28 AM

Okay.

So if I disable the Messenger's own chat logs and used Messenger Plus's encypting + logging, will it still show the last few sentences that I typed to my contacts?

RE: Password my Chat Log by Mnjul on 08-03-2008 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xiaozhu

So if I disable the Messenger's own chat logs and used Messenger Plus's encypting + logging, will it still show the last few sentences that I typed to my contacts?
No, because that's Messenger's own feature.
RE: Password my Chat Log by CookieRevised on 08-03-2008 at 10:06 AM

quote:
No. Unfortunatly not.

If you want to keep that feature you need to enable Messenger's own logging (which can indeed not be encrypted).

PS: Most of the time you do not need encryption anyways. Most people simply use it as a gimmick or to hide something from their parents. But I mean, what is so 'secret' about chatting with your friends. The chances are very high that there are things on your computer which are far more important and potentially 'secret' than a chat log. ;)

quote:
how do I go about password protecting each existing chat log files?
2 methods:

First one is:
1) Move every archived chat log you have from its archived subdirectory to the main Messenger Plus! chat log directory
2) Use the "re-encrypt" button in the preferences to encrypt everything in the main chat log directory.
3) Move the chat logs again to their respective archive subdirectory.

But this method can be troublesome and very long as you need to repeat it for each individual archive subdirectory.

^^
Apparently this does not work anymore :undecided:

A much faster way is to use the batch file I've created: CookieRevised's reply to About uncrypting logs (i've got password!)

RE: Password my Chat Log by xiaozhu on 08-03-2008 at 02:33 PM

Ahh..

its because my friends peeped into my chat log with other people that makes me want to password it.

Since I am using Vista, I think the only way is to make the chat log folder to be un-indexed.

RE: Password my Chat Log by CookieRevised on 08-03-2008 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Ahh..

its because my friends peeped into my chat log with other people that makes me want to password it.

Since I am using Vista, I think the only way is to make the chat log folder to be un-indexed.
or password protect your account in Vista.
RE: Password my Chat Log by ahmetgns on 08-05-2008 at 10:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
One is WLM's own chat logs (in My Received Files I think) and IIRC cannot be encrypted (well, not by plus anyway)
Almost every file can be encrypted by Log Viewer.exe, see details but that cannot be automatized with Plus! itself, you are right.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
2 methods:

First one is:
1) Move every archived chat log you have from its archived subdirectory to the main Messenger Plus! chat log directory
2) Use the "re-encrypt" button in the preferences to encrypt everything in the main chat log directory.
3) Move the chat logs again to their respective archive subdirectory.
But that button is only for re-encypting existing encrypted log files with a new password. When you try to encrypt a unencrypted html  (or any other) file through that buttonj's function, you will get an error.
RE: Password my Chat Log by CookieRevised on 08-05-2008 at 06:47 PM

hu??? You're correct thought, but then this has been changed from before....

Before you could do exactly as I described. Several people used that method and complained that it was a bit clumbsy, hence the exact reason why I wrote those DecryptAll and EncryptAll batch files some time ago...

So, this means that there is now no way anymore to do this from within Plus! (granted you could use the Log Viewer tool, but still...). :/