Shoutbox

Remove advertisment after changing skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Remove advertisment after changing skin (/showthread.php?tid=85098)

Remove advertisment after changing skin by salami101 on 07-31-2008 at 05:42 AM

I have a problem

After applying a different skin to the default WML skin mess patch or A-patch no longer removes the advertisment in the bottum of the chat window or the big fat banner underneath the main WML window which is the banner underneath your contact list

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the ads?

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by NanaFreak on 07-31-2008 at 06:02 AM

edit the skin so that it doesnt have the ads...

the reason for them coming back is that the skin files have the code for the ads in them (this is required because of messenger making money from it)

some skins do have files that will change options so that you can remove ads though

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by salami101 on 07-31-2008 at 07:08 AM

How do you edit the skin?

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by NanaFreak on 07-31-2008 at 08:04 AM

you open the files in:

XP:
C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Skins\<Skin Name>

Vista:
C:\Programs\Messenger Plus! Live\Skins\<Skin Name>

and there are some topics on these forums that can help you to edit the skin and remove ads

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Menthix on 07-31-2008 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
Vista:
Is that Vista's alternative for Program Files? I don't have a Programs folder at all (just recently switched to Vista).

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Sunshine on 07-31-2008 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
Vista:
Is that Vista's alternative for Program Files? I don't have a Program folder at all (just recently switched to Vista).
Nope, in Vista it's C:\Program Files\...
...no folder called Programs here either :P
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by NanaFreak on 07-31-2008 at 11:20 AM

I thought it was \Programs\ o.0

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by salami101 on 07-31-2008 at 12:05 PM

I just realise what is wrong with the reg file

The person who made the batman reg file renamed the file wrong

In the reg file it had

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Batman\Settings]
"GentlemenMORECORN"=dword:00000001
"GentlemenFillMeWithBBQSauce"=dword:00000001
"GentlemenAGITATETHEHELLOUTOFTHISSNAKE"=dword:00000001

It should have been

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Batman - The Dark Knight\Settings]

Fixed it now

but I have another question

There's a skin called wii messenger and in the skininfo.xml file the first line says

<Name>Wii Messenger</Name>

presuming my knowledge is right

I copy and paste the same code but rename the name to wii messenger

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Wii Messenger\Settings]

Save the file.Make sure WML is not open and apply the reg.

but.. the ads are still there

Did i do something wrong?

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Menthix on 07-31-2008 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by salami101
How you hide the ads in a skin differs for every skin. A lot of skins aren't prepared to hide the ads at all.
RE: RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Willz on 07-31-2008 at 01:28 PM

quote:

Lol best skin conditions ever :P

Those settings are only applicable to the batman skin and won't work on other skins as other skins do not ask for corn, bbq sauce or snakes to hide ads.

I have no idea why the skin name is "Batman - The Dark Knight", the copy that I sent to submit just said "Batman". That's why the reg file didn't work.

Should also point out the reason why skins don't hide ads by default is because the skin will not be allowed on the database if it does:

"Skins that allow any of Messenger's advertisements to be hidden will not be accepted. Keep in mind that maintaining the Messenger network is neither free nor cheap for Microsoft. Advertisements are their main source of revenue, just like they are for us."

Some people put in a workaround, but most just leave it up to the users to figure out themselves. After all Microsoft could easily remove ads for good, but then they would have to charge us for messenger so yeah just remember that.
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Nagamasa on 07-31-2008 at 02:04 PM

Yeah I didn't put a registry key anywhere for you to edit out. You'll need to go into the definition file and do what GentlemenMORECORN and GentlemenFillMeWithBBQSauce and GentlemenAGITATETHEHELLOUTOFTHISSNAKE do.

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by salami101 on 07-31-2008 at 08:57 PM

How do I know what to replace the lines of GentlemenMORECORN and GentlemenFillMeWithBBQSauce and GentlemenAGITATETHEHELLOUTOFTHISSNAKE

by?

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Moonwolf on 08-18-2008 at 03:28 PM

I think patchou should put back the old time settings where you have the option to remove advertisement and some tweaks.....it remind me a lot like a-patch.

If MessengerPlus can add all those options from apatch to there MessengerPlus....it would ELITE.

sadly they remove it and i had remove it too....they use to be an awesome application to have. but now it is more themes and whatever rest people dont use much.

A-Patch it the way to go to costomize the way you want your msn messenger without any crap add on.

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Basilis on 08-18-2008 at 06:27 PM

Messenger Plus! intends in extending the experience of the users with other features. However, Patchou added skinning, with which you can create your own skin and hide whatever you want. If you just want to hide elements without changing the look of your Messenger, then you could use OpenLive, which is a skin that has some basic options for hiding elements and uses the standard look of Messenger giving users the chance to learn to skin easily. You could use it though just to hide elements if you don't want to give skinning a try. :)

Download OpenLive from here: http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/resources/tut-Open-Live/

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by CookieRevised on 08-18-2008 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Moonwolf
sadly they remove it and i had remove it too....they use to be an awesome application to have. but now it is more themes and whatever rest people dont use much.
I think by "people" you actually just mean yourself.

Plus! adds a whole lot more than just skinning. And a lot of people (50 million) use "all the rest" of Plus! quite a lot. Otherwise, Plus! wouldn't be so popular as it is.

The footprint of Plus!Live on your system isn't that much bigger than it was with Plus!3 (which you apparently found "awesome"). In fact, it is a hell of a lot more stable. There are no "more themes" in Plus!Live either. The look is just a bit changed to blend better with WLM, that's all (and the options placed in a more logical way).

If you mean by "themes" the skinning feature, which you, I assume, don't like, then that is exactly the kind of feature you could use to remove the advertisements, without changing any look if you want; You can make a small skin which just removes the ads and nothing more.

quote:
A-Patch it the way to go to costomize the way you want your msn messenger without any crap add on.
Plus! can do and customize a lot more. But if you don't use "the rest" of Plus! then it is indeed of not much use to install Plus!.

(just as it is quite strange to install Plus!3 in the first place just to use the "hide advertisement" option if that is all you're interested in)

But that certainly does not make it a crap addon either.

A-Patch was made so that you can change some options without using any addon if you are just interested in those options and nothing more. But since you say you found Plus!3 awesome, I also assume you used the other options in Plus!3. So, quite frankly, I don't understand your post as it seriously contradicts itself.

;)
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Moonwolf on 08-19-2008 at 11:46 AM

50 millions? impress. But I am sure there is a lot of that does not know about A-Patch how powerful it can make your msn messenger to look the way you want it.

Keep in mind that where messengerPlus has started. With tweaks and options to removed adds and so on.

Now it seem it has converted to more like Vista theme changer or a stardock product ...changing the skin that it. I need something where I can change the source of msn messenger. And I feel MessengerPlus lost that value.

Dont get all insulted just cause of an opinion ....some of you are sounding like Vista lovers. Some of us still love the old ways where you were able to twist things around to you own ways.

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Menthix on 08-19-2008 at 12:39 PM

The only option removed is the ability to hide ads. Messenger Plus never had any other of the features you can find in A-Patch/MessPatch (except polygamy). They are both completely different products and used for other purposes.

Yes, Plus! has skinning, but you are not forced to used it. All old features are still there, except for that one feature.

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by CookieRevised on 08-19-2008 at 11:31 PM

quote:
I need something where I can change the source of msn messenger. And I feel MessengerPlus lost that value.
Plus! never could "change the source" in that aspect. So, there isn't anything "lost".
In fact, with Plus!Live you can change far more things than you could with Plus!3.
And with Plus! scripting you can even do everything(!) what A-patch does and even more, if you like.

quote:
But I am sure there is a lot of that does not know about A-Patch how powerful it can make your msn messenger to look the way you want it.
That is exactly what skinning can do too. In fact, many options in A-Patch are simple changes in the UIFiles. Which is exactly what Plus! skinning does too; altering the very same things which A-Patch would alter (and without tampering with the actual physical file or causing problems and build version compatibility issues).

quote:
Dont get all insulted just cause of an opinion ....some of you are sounding like Vista lovers.
We are not insulted. We simply tell you what the real differences are and what Plus! realy is.

Since I think you realy have a big misconception about what Plus! skinning is, and what the UI options in A-Patch actually do and what the differences are.

Have you explored the still existing functions and all the new functions of Plus!Live, giving it the benefit of doubt? Plus!Live is not just a skinning engine. Skinning is only one of the hundreds of options you have in Plus!Live.

And it is not because Plus!Live has a different look than Plus!3 that we are all Vista lovers (many of 'us' don't even use Vista). It is just a look, just some changed graphics used in its menus and preferences, nothing more. And this has got nothing todo with the skinning feature either. :/

-----

Anyways, if you feel better using A-Patch then by all means use it! That's why it is there. Nobody here will ever tell you not to use it.

Just know that Plus! hasn't changed a bit (except for the 'ad removing' option being removed) concearning "editing source of Messenger".

In fact, you can even change a hell of a lot more with Plus!Live than you could with Plus!3. And everything(!) you can do with A-patch can be done in Plus!Live too (using skinning and/or scripting), which wasn't possible in Plus!3 either...

As such, with Plus! skinning you can remove the advertisements too. It is just not done by a default menu option in the preferences anymore. Moreover, A-Patch is very extremely restricted in its options and in the way to change Messenger. With Plus! you can change the look of whatever you want.

If you like to compare the two in the way you do, then Plus! is like a registry editor where you can change whatever you want and where you have access to everything there is, while A-Patch is like a small tool to only let you choose between 2 things. Plus! is more capable of "editing source of Messenger" than A-Patch is (in fact, you _literally_ can "edit the source of Messenger" with Plus!Live).

;)

I realy need to cut down my post lengths :p
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Vilkku on 08-20-2008 at 07:30 AM

Also, if you want to only hide the ads but not change the look of messenger, you can try Plus!Patch, which is linked in my signature. Not as powerful as a-patch, but can make the most used windows looks very clean. Updated version is in the works actually.

EDIT: Just had a look at Open Live, which basically does the same except for removing the ads. Might rethink what I want to do with Plus!Patch.

RE: RE: RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Dex Luther on 08-22-2008 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
After all Microsoft could easily remove ads for good, but then they would have to charge us for messenger so yeah just remember that.

Not to derail the thread; However, with the serious moolah M$ makes I doubt they HAVE to offset their WLM expenses with ad revenue.

I don't even have ads on my WLM. I have that annoying video thing that M$ is running. I doubt they are paying themselves to advertise their own service. lol
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Rolando on 08-22-2008 at 03:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
After all Microsoft could easily remove ads for good, but then they would have to charge us for messenger so yeah just remember that.

Not to derail the thread; However, with the serious moolah M$ makes I doubt they HAVE to offset their WLM expenses with ad revenue.

I don't even have ads on my WLM. I have that annoying video thing that M$ is running. I doubt they are paying themselves to advertise their own service. lol

Why would they offer a service if they're not getting anything in return? It doesn't matter if they make money with other products.
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Willz on 08-22-2008 at 03:30 AM

In the video carousel they advertise their site, when you go to that site you have even more ads from other companies. One way or another they would make money off it.

Companies are about making more revenue there is no such thing as "making enough".

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by CookieRevised on 08-24-2008 at 02:12 PM

And as hinted by Rolando, each department in MS has his own revenue, costs, budget, etc. So there is no such thing as "M$ makes serious moolah". It doesn't matter at all. Thinking that shows you have a misconception of how companies work.

If there is no budget for developping the Messenger client product, it will be scraped, simple as that, no matter if another MS product "makes serious moolah" or not.

This isn't only so in MS, this is so for almost every company in the world. This is even how governments work. For each product/service there is a seperate budget and revenue model which is independant from other products/services.

And for the free Messenger client (which will always stay free) the revenue comes from ads (and a few payed content stuff thingies).

Al this is also the exact reason why Patchou decided to remove the option to hide the advertisements.

Remove the ads and you remove a very big part of the budget used to pay the people making Messenger, the used servers, etc... and Messenger development will eventually be scraped.

RE: RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Dex Luther on 08-24-2008 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And as hinted by Rolando, each department in MS has his own revenue, costs, budget, etc. So there is no such thing as "M$ makes serious moolah". It doesn't matter at all. Thinking that shows you have a misconception of how companies work.

If there is no budget for developping the Messenger client product, it will be scraped, simple as that, no matter if another MS product "makes serious moolah" or not.

This isn't only so in MS, this is so for almost every company in the world. This is even how governments work. For each product/service there is a seperate budget and revenue model which is independant from other products/services.

And for the free Messenger client (which will always stay free) the revenue comes from ads (and a few payed content stuff thingies).

Al this is also the exact reason why Patchou decided to remove the option to hide the advertisements.

Remove the ads and you remove a very big part of the budget used to pay the people making Messenger, the used servers, etc... and Messenger development will eventually be scraped.

The fact that M$ makes serious moolah means that all their projects can have much higher budgets than the same project would have if it was being developed  by some other company.

Why else do you think they kept building Xboxes when doing so meant a negative income? They changed that with the Xbox 360 and the detachable/optional harddrive though, but still.

It's not like they NEED it. It's probably more of an opportunity type thing. They CAN put ads there, so they do.
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Menthix on 08-24-2008 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Why else do you think they kept building Xboxes when doing so meant a negative income?
Because in the long term the software sales will turn it into profit. It's not like they ran their Xbox program as some kind of charity not expecting any profit.

quote:
all their projects can have much higher budgets than the same project would have if it was being developed  by some other company.
They can have much higher budgets, but the budgets need be be accounted for. The organization will not throw big budgets on projects that don't seem profitable in the long term. Microsoft didn't become a big corporation big throwing away money.

quote:
It's not like they NEED it. It's probably more of an opportunity type thing. They CAN put ads there, so they do.

Like Cookie said, many projects inside Microsoft have separate budgets. If a project isn't making money on its own Microsoft wont keep on pumping money from other projects forever to keep it alive. All of their projects will have to make money eventually, or they are canceled (except from charity programs).
RE: RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by Pikokun on 06-25-2009 at 05:25 AM

quote:
I just realise what is wrong with the reg file

The person who made the batman reg file renamed the file wrong

In the reg file it had

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Batman\Settings]

It should have been

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Batman - The Dark Knight\Settings]

Fixed it now

but I have another question

There's a skin called wii messenger and in the skininfo.xml file the first line says

<Name>Wii Messenger</Name>

presuming my knowledge is right

I copy and paste the same code but rename the name to wii messenger

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Wii Messenger\Settings]

Save the file.Make sure WML is not open and apply the reg.

but.. the ads are still there

this is how to turn ads off by registery right
oh and another thing is there a line to look for while trying to remove the ad through XML
RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by CookieRevised on 06-26-2009 at 11:38 PM

We can not give support to questions involving removing the ads. This was requested by Patchou and stated several times before. The reason for this is quite simple: we do not want to kill the revenue of the ads (which make that Messenger is a free program).

RE: Remove advertisment after changing skin by blessedguy on 06-27-2009 at 12:14 AM

quote:
We can not give support to questions involving removing the ads
Ok so just some useful info:

quote:
Originally posted by Pikokun
this is how to turn ads off by registery right
That registry thing simply toogles the option the same way you do when you go to Skin's control panels.

Try to open up regedit.exe and look for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\<Skin Name Here>\Settings" in that panel with the folders. When you click settings you'll see:
  • Name: name of the option as described in SkinInfo.xml
  • Type: REG_DWORD for Yes/No options and REG_SZ for multiple choice options, as defined by SkinInfoxml
  • Data: A string for REG_SZ types and 0 (off) or 1 (on) for REG_DWORD types.

When you go to a skin's control panel, Plus! modifies the registry for you. When you open up that .reg file, that file will force add/change what's defined by it.
Take a look:
code:

In this case, GentlemenMORECORN REG_DWORD 1, GentlemenFillMeWithBBQSauce REG_DWORD 1, GentlemenAGITATETHEHELLOUTOFTHISSNAKE REG_DWORD 1 will manually be added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Skins\Wii Messenger\Settings. If Wii Messenger's SkinInfo.xml don't mention any of those, it will have no results. Simple as that. Hope that helps =)

quote:
Originally posted by Pikokun
oh and another thing is there a line to look for while trying to remove the ad through XML
Nope. You've got to change some Definition files, adding those options, then declare both options and definitions with SkinInfo.xml, and only then add the keys to the registry.
So, nope. There's no easy way to remove the ads without touching anything but SkinInfo.xml

quote:
I realy need to cut down my post lengths
You don't =)