Shoutbox

msn host files problems. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: msn host files problems. (/showthread.php?tid=85109)

msn host files problems. by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 07-31-2008 at 07:00 PM

Since tuesday night ive been having problems with msn dropping messages, signing me out, not letting me sign back in (On all the computers in my house.)

Ive narrowed this down to my ISP (Talk Talk) because there we're a few people reporting similar problems with most of the microsoft sites on tuesday and wendsday. But apparently since early hours of wendsday its been fixed.

However i still had problems signing into msn today. It gives me the same problem highlighting the fact my host files need cleaning and would i like to clean them. Everytime i click yes it doesnt do anything and simply rehighlights them when i retry. This is exactly the same on my XP and Vista computer.

Ive tried re-downloading msn, resetting my internet box, checked firewalls and all that but nothing so far seems to work. If i keep trying eventually i get on msn. Sometimes it works for a while then signs me out and wont let me back in, or starts randomly dropping messages ect.

Now i know this could still be due to my ISP but everyone else seems to be reporting that msn is up and running fine now, and Talk Talk tec services have said the same. So i dont know if this could just be that i havent signed onto msn since talk talk have fixed the problem or if it could be another underlying problem.

Um can anyone give me any suggestions? Or if anyone on here is with Talk Talk let me know if you have similar kinda problems.

RE: msn host files problems. by Macka on 07-31-2008 at 11:08 PM

your hosts file is in C:\windows\system32\divers\etc
The hosts file has no extension and is just called "hosts"
If you zip/rar it i'll take a look.

RE: msn host files problems. by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 08-01-2008 at 06:22 PM

Nah i know it isnt MY host files. Because all my computers in the house give me the same error and they have different host files so i know it isnt corrupted.

Plus my account works just fine on my friends computer

RE: msn host files problems. by Chris4 on 08-01-2008 at 07:26 PM

Maybe a problem with your router, seeing as its happening all throughout your house?

RE: msn host files problems. by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 08-01-2008 at 07:29 PM

Thats what i thought but i know the router settings are ok and it isnt the firewalls because ive checked them. Ive no idea what else i could check for on it.

RE: msn host files problems. by PowerMike on 03-10-2009 at 03:41 PM

I have the same problem.... I don't know if this will help but I can sign in using a different ID

RE: msn host files problems. by vaccination on 03-10-2009 at 03:48 PM

If other accounts can connect fine on the same computers, it would suggest the server you're connecting to is having issues, how long has it not been working? Usually server issues resolve after a few days.

RE: msn host files problems. by PowerMike on 03-10-2009 at 05:00 PM

It's been acting up for a couple days. This morning I could connect no problem from the desktop pc until I signed off and signed back in from the laptop. After that neither one would connect. I have read many threads and tried so many different things I'm out of idea, hopefully like you said it will resolve itself in a few days... Thanks for taking the time to reply.

RE: msn host files problems. by Macka on 03-11-2009 at 06:05 AM

Could be profile Cache corruption, very common.

I'm at Uni at the moment but when I get home I'll post instructions for clearing the cache. Will update in ~3.5 hours

Ok, here are the instructions:

1) Exit from WLM completely

2a) If you are good with computers follow these instructions otherwise go to 2b. Open command prompt (Start>Run type cmd and press ok)
3a) copy each of the following lines (1 at a time) and paste them into the command prompt and press enter after each line:

del "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL" /Q
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL" /Q
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts" /Q
del "%USERPROFILE%\Contacts" /Q

4a) close command prompt and restart WLM. You're done.

2b) Download the attached zip file and extract msn.bat to your desktop.
3b) Run MSN.bat
4b) a window will flash up and dissappear within a few seconds. restart WLM. You're done.

RE: msn host files problems. by PowerMike on 03-11-2009 at 12:07 PM

Thank you very much will try that

RE: RE: msn host files problems. by Macka on 03-11-2009 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PowerMike
Thank you very much will try that

No problem. Post back the results.
RE: msn host files problems. by PowerMike on 03-11-2009 at 12:48 PM

Well it's working for the moment but I'll write a follow up after a couple days... Thanks again all of you

RE: msn host files problems. by PowerMike on 03-13-2009 at 07:20 AM

Well I'm happy to announce that after 2 days all work A-1 thanks again and cudos

RE: RE: msn host files problems. by Macka on 03-13-2009 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PowerMike
Well I'm happy to announce that after 2 days all work A-1 thanks again and cudos

No problem.

I think I'm going to have to make that into a proper program instead of a batch script, it fixes so many WLM problems.