Shoutbox

Explanation pls - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Explanation pls (/showthread.php?tid=85124)

Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-01-2008 at 01:02 PM

K it goes like this. Ive this contact 'AAA@hotmail.com' on my contact list
His Nick is 'BBB' and it remains so for a few weeks
Then suddenly, one day when he's offline, His nick is displayed as AAA@hotmail.com.

K so im asking why? is this natural?

btw under contact list cleanup it puts the BBB but in the list its AAA@hotmail.com

RE: Explanation pls by aNILEator on 08-01-2008 at 01:09 PM

it's not causing a problem is it?

perhaps he or she removed their name or the MSN servers have a minor problem sending you/collecting his  data

RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-01-2008 at 02:20 PM

it isnt much of a problem really. but bcos he uses his nick to pass on msges it may become quite a bother if i dont get the msg

RE: Explanation pls by aNILEator on 08-01-2008 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowking
but bcos he uses his nick to pass on msges it may become quite a bother if i dont get the msg
check msgplus event logs

and tell him to email or IM you :P
RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-02-2008 at 04:44 PM

theres some kinda dilemma so he wont msg me and given this situation i cant msg him
could he have blocked me?

RE: Explanation pls by Lukychan on 08-02-2008 at 04:48 PM

This is normal, it should disappear in the future.

RE: RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-02-2008 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukychan

yea i know, but its happened too many times and i wanna know wads the ccause. does him blocking me cause this to happen or smth?
RE: RE: RE: Explanation pls by Lukychan on 08-02-2008 at 05:20 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lukychan

yea i know, but its happened too many times and i wanna know wads the ccause. does him blocking me cause this to happen or smth?
uhm...Try to delete this contact and reinsert it in your list.
RE: Explanation pls by CookieRevised on 08-02-2008 at 06:10 PM

quote:
does him blocking me cause this to happen or smth?
it could....

That is, if he has removed his screen name, or change it to his email address prior to blocking you, then that could explain it. However, there is no way to know for sure if he has blocked you or not (unless you ask him in real life).

In fact, even if he didn't changed his screen name you still might see just his email address if there was some connection/sync loss after he has blocked you. Because in that case, WLM wouldn't be able to retrieve his name either.

Removing and adding the contact again will not solve it if the contact did block you.

BTW: do you see his personal message?
RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-03-2008 at 08:34 AM

oh yea the thing is the personal msg stays so its getting weirder lols

RE: Explanation pls by CookieRevised on 08-03-2008 at 10:23 AM

It could also be a server/connection issue though. In which case you might to report it to Messenger support.

RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-03-2008 at 01:15 PM

yea but assuming its not a server problem bcos its always the same contact that it happens to. plus the dp and personal msg is still there..

RE: Explanation pls by CookieRevised on 08-03-2008 at 06:31 PM

It could still be a server problem too.

It can also be a cache problem...

So, what you could try to do is removing and resetting all the cache of Messenger:

1. Go to your security options in Messenger and enable:
    Tools > Options > Security > "This is shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture or personal message on it"

2. After that sign out and exit Messenger completely:
    Right click its systemtray icon and choose "Exit".

3. Now, make sure that the cache directories are completely removed from your hard disk. If not, remove them manually (for XP):
       \Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\your_windows_live_id\
       \Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\your_windows_live_id\

Note: some directories might be hidden, so make sure you have enabled the viewing of system and hidden files in Windows Explorer's options.

4. If all this is done, sign back in into Messenger. And let Messenger retrieve all the contact information (this could take a bit longer as usual since you don't use any cache now). What is the screen name of this contact now?

5. If things are looking ok you might disable the option again which you turned on in step 1.

RE: Explanation pls by aNILEator on 08-03-2008 at 09:37 PM

Contact Cache locations:

WinXP:
%userprofile%\contacts
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

Vista:
%userprofile%\contacts
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-04-2008 at 12:10 PM

yea so cache is cleared and i followed all the steps. now all my offline contacts have their nick and pm rolled back a couple of weeks or so and i'm seeing their old nicks and pms. that supposed to happen?

RE: Explanation pls by aNILEator on 08-04-2008 at 12:16 PM

quote:

yea so cache is cleared and i followed all the steps. now all my offline contacts have their nick and pm rolled back a couple of weeks or so and i'm seeing their old nicks and pms. that supposed to happen?

Definitely not. Clearing the cache should delete all that old data. and re-download all the new data from servers/peer connections.

Does it change when you initiate a conversation or if a contact changes a display picture, name or message?

RE: RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-04-2008 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:

Definitely not. Clearing the cache should delete all that old data. and re-download all the new data from servers/peer connections.

Does it change when you initiate a conversation or if a contact changes a display picture, name or message?

How do i re-download the new data?

Yea it changes; but only for those online. The rest remain as history lol
RE: Explanation pls by aNILEator on 08-04-2008 at 01:43 PM

quote:
How do i re-download the new data?

Messenger will download what it needs to as of when it needs to, you could try viewing everyone's contact cards or opening conversations or something which will download what data it can grab.

RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-04-2008 at 01:47 PM

yea have done so but their latest dps and nicks cant be retrieved. guess i'll have to wait for them to come online?

RE: Explanation pls by CookieRevised on 08-05-2008 at 02:53 AM

quote:
yea have done so but their latest dps and nicks cant be retrieved. guess i'll have to wait for them to come online?
Which might explain (or at least proof) why you had problems in the beginning. Messenger had troubles retrieving updates for contact's names and stuff for certain contacts.

Anyway, since WLM is designed to use the cache for your contactlist and since you removed the cache, it is normal that WLM reverts back to old names and stuff, or even no names at all.

Changes in names and so on are directly directed to your Messenger instead of being stored on the services. Only once in a while they are also stored on the server as a kind of 'backup' with the current protocol.

That's how I would explain why you now see old names after you've removed the cache and why they aren't updated all at once.
RE: Explanation pls by Shadowking on 08-12-2008 at 09:57 AM

well so its happened again. it seems that always the nick of this same person (argh!) reverts to email. but this time it did stay as nick for a while tho, say 2-3 days and then it happened yest-tdy. now im wondering if it has anyting to do with the comp.