Shoutbox

[Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature (/showthread.php?tid=85195)

[Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 01:08 AM

Hey all, I'm writing some of the new features in my phunk'n skin and I am considering adding a feature that will force a display mode of the contact list to be used.

I'll explain what I mean.

One of the questions I get asked all the time is how to switch from the compact contact list to the expanded contact list with larger display pictures. The issue is that most people don't know you can do this by using the "Show contact details" feature.

Anyway my idea is to implement a feature where regardless of whether you have the "show contact details" enabled or not it will display the display picture size that you specify in the skin.

You can always go back to compact mode, all you have to do is elect to hide the display picture and then select single row display.

There are pros and cons with this sort of thing being implemented:

Pros:

+ The question about the expanded contact list will no longer be asked. The setting will be universal since its all one list.
+ I could then have a setting to either use single line or multi line display of the contact details to add a few more customization options to the list.

Cons:

+ To switch to compact mode you would have to select the small display picture or no display picture in the skin settings and then reboot wlm.
+ This would carry over to all accounts so if you share a computer everyone has to share the same contact list mode.

Anyway share your thoughts on this feature as they are important and remember to also consider those who are unaware of the "show contact details" thing.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by MeEtc on 08-05-2008 at 01:24 AM

I, for one, prefer the window to be compact. I don't need to see people's display pictures especially on the contact list as I find its too small anyway. Perhaps if its possible, to default the contact list to display a display picture, but still have an option to turn it off.

RE: RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 01:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I, for one, prefer the window to be compact. I don't need to see people's display pictures especially on the contact list as I find its too small anyway. Perhaps if its possible, to default the contact list to display a display picture, but still have an option to turn it off.

Yeah essentially what I am doing is merging the two modes into one so you can change back to the no-display picture mode contact list by selecting the no display picture setting and single row contact details.

I'm not removing the compact contact list, I'm just making it so that its more obvious to the others to get to the expanded list :P

I should have probably mentioned that :P
RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Justin on 08-05-2008 at 01:58 AM

If people don't know how to enable it, how will they know how to turn it off if they don't like it :P

RE: RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Justin
If people don't know how to enable it, how will they know how to turn it off if they don't like it :P

That's totally different though, the way it works now you have to find a menu item which most people don't know exists because its in a spot that isn't obvious and most people wouldn't know that "show contact details" means show a display picture. Whilst with skins most people already know that there is a skin config panel and that is where all the display picture controls would be.

With this way if they select "no display picture" in the skin option it applies to all the contact lists, and if they select large display picture it applies to all the contact lists as well. No matter what they get their setting applied.

With the old method if you select large display picture it would only apply to the expanded list so if you don't even know how to get to it you will never be able to have the setting you want.

If people don't like using display pictures then they just select no display picture and presto they have their compact list back.

This thing is more about having less confusion over the two modes of contact list and make it into a more user friendly thing.
RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by prashker on 08-05-2008 at 02:31 AM

It disrupts the natural order of things, and for that I disapprove.

Plus it's deformed :p

RE: RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 02:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
It disrupts the natural order of things

Isn't that the point of skins? :refuck: :P

To disrupt the natural order of how WLM is?
RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by CookieRevised on 08-05-2008 at 03:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
It disrupts the natural order of things

Isn't that the point of skins? :refuck: :P

To disrupt the natural order of how WLM is?
Good question

A skin for me is something which looks different, but which otherwise does _not_ change the "natural" options and stuff, or works around (incompatible as it were)  existing options.

Adding some option in a skin which duplicates, and on the same time ignores, an already build in option is not good. It teaches people the 'wrong' thing. Eventhough such a new option might be accessed much easier. eg: they would start to think they need this skin in order to have a detailed list.

When the skin would be able to set the detailed look by default, but by using the existing options, then A-Ok. But yet another, not linked to the build in option, option is not ok.

my 2 cents and for what this argument is worth...

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Voldemort on 08-05-2008 at 03:15 AM

screenshots? :p mockups even :P?

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

When the skin would be able to set the detailed look by default, but by using the existing options, then A-Ok. But yet another, not linked to the build in option, option is not ok.

Well I that is what I was thinking, I was seeing if there could be a way I could set the property without tampering with how the list works but there isn't. (Unless Patchou adds it :P)

The only other alternative I can think of is adding a button that you can see in the contact list that switches between both lists on the fly, but of course I'm not sure if that command will work outside of the dropdown menu its in and it will add more size to the skin. For a button that will rarely be used I'm not exactly sure how I can squeeze it in.

- edit - Yeah ok tested and I can't make a button because the command does not work outside the dropdown its in.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
screenshots? :p mockups even :P?

This thing isn't really the sort of thing that can explained with screenshots. All it is is a modified version of the display picture sizing options that are in all my other skins, only that this time it applies the setting to both lists, rather than just one.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by prashker on 08-05-2008 at 04:14 AM

And by an astonishing 8 to 1....NAY WINS!

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by mattisdada on 08-05-2008 at 06:21 AM

I for one would like it, ive always prefer detailed view. Without DP's, it takes alot longer to find people you wish to speak to. DP's provide a quick look to whos who. You dont have to read wha there SN is which can change regurally.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by NanaFreak on 08-05-2008 at 06:42 AM

just a little note on this...

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
This would carry over to all accounts so if you share a computer everyone has to share the same contact list mode.
it will only have the same skin if its the same windows account (the registry key is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
and most people that i know use different windows accounts for each person...

also with your explanation of what this is, it kinda confused me with 2 different ideas... sortof =S
RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Nagamasa on 08-05-2008 at 07:05 AM

I agree with CookieRevised and pretty much everyone that has said no.

This would also create the confusion for those who DO know how to, as they can't change it in the regular spot.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Basilis on 08-05-2008 at 08:25 AM

I don't agree basically because this is an option of WLM. We are called to do things that WLM does not and give users the features they miss from WLM. I mean features about the look of Messenger, about the other features, we have Patchou! :D

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Volv on 08-05-2008 at 10:23 AM

Skins should be made to give users the experience the way the developer intended it to be and in my opinion that's how it should be done by default.

In all honesty, most normal users can't figure out that it only applies in Detailed view let alone that such a view even exists :p

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Menthix on 08-05-2008 at 10:38 AM

If Show Details becomes unusable with the skin applied, can you make the skin remove this menu item? Or even better, grey it out? Or link this menu item to the skins' configuration panel where the situation is explained?

When the confusion can be taken away I don't think it's a problem. 

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by aNILEator on 08-05-2008 at 11:07 AM

Willz you ask out opinion but seem pretty adamant to keep it in, I guess you've already coded it and don't want to loose your babies code.

The display picture question problem isn't that bad, E.g. The question rarely pops up on these forums at all, and we get almost everything here, you seem to have exaggerated the problem I think.

Overloading the user with options to get around this minor problem isn't solving it. Stop and think.

Previously to achieve a change it took 2 mouse clicks one on the button, one on the option

Your suggestion a minimum of 5
1. Options button
2. un/tick an option
3. un/tick another option or 2 clicks for a dropdown menu (eg DP size)
4. 'OK'
5. Restart Now? yes no

It's not making the process any simpler at all.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by mattisdada on 08-05-2008 at 12:49 PM

Hmm well i wouldnt completly count it out just yet. Its now 4 to 10 instead of 1 to 10. Not as one sided as before....

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by NanaFreak on 08-05-2008 at 12:51 PM

can someone make a picture of whats going on?? i cant quite picture it from what he said... and i know a picture will help

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Menthix on 08-05-2008 at 12:57 PM

This doesn't really have anything to do with how things look. It's more about how options are handled.

RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by NanaFreak on 08-05-2008 at 01:00 PM

so its like the expanded or compact but with skin options instead of wlm doing it??

RE: RE: [Poll] How do you guys feel about this feature by Willz on 08-05-2008 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Willz you ask out opinion but seem pretty adamant to keep it in, I guess you've already coded it and don't want to loose your babies code.

Actually man I haven't coded anything at all so it doesn't really matter anyway.

The way it would be would be

click options
select size (the none option would be in here as well)
select 1 or two row
click ok
restart

as opposed to how it is now

click options
select size
disable/enable tiny dp for compact contact list if you want.
click ok
restart
click show details button
check "show contact details"

In the end it doesn't really bother me to how it goes, I just wanted to see what people thought and I've gotten the feedback I need.