Shoutbox

[News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects (/showthread.php?tid=85253)

[News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by riahc4 on 08-07-2008 at 07:11 PM

This is news but fits this section :)

quote:
You may have already heard that, along with the rest of Windows Live wave 3, the next version of Windows Live Messenger (version 9.0) will have a new user interface.

After being tipped off by an unaffiliated yet trustworthy source who – naturally – doesn't want to be identified, Messenger Stuff can now reveal that the new interface will use the graphics effects available through WPF [Windows Presentation Foundation], where supported.

To put it simply, this finally means that we will see transparency effects in the various windows of the program, possibly similar to those already seen in Yahoo! Messenger for Vista. We are led to believe that the actual design has not changed much but the WPF effects have been integrated well in what is bound to be a popular new addition.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/08/07/windows-...o-have-wpf-effects

So now what? Alot of questions popup. Mines is will the skinning engine be rebuilt?

And I really think that this will make skins really come out to their full potential.

RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by prashker on 08-07-2008 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I think skin developers will have a lot more to worry about than a build number. But for now, you should not care much about WLM9. It will take a long time before it goes public and even more before a majority of people upgrade. Skisn the way they currently exist will be here for quite some time.
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=85083
RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by Menthix on 08-07-2008 at 07:15 PM

Original story (by cooler people than Neowin): Windows Live Messenger 9 WILL use WPF effects! (Messenger Stuff)

RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by absorbation on 08-07-2008 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Original story (by cooler people than Neowin): Windows Live Messenger 9 WILL use WPF effects! (Messenger Stuff)

(H)

Yep, this seems like work for skinners and Patchou a like, but like Patchou said don't expect it for a while. This is a bit of a shame, as msgstuff is highly listed on search results for WLM 9, and when its released (even in public beta form) I know hits will be pouring in, just like these forums got with the public beta of MSN Messenger 7.

I've heard though the design is nothing to get excited about, in true Microsoft style, they've done as little with it as possible :P.
RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by warmth on 08-07-2008 at 08:24 PM

* warmth makes like Mr Burns!!! Muahhhhh hahahaha!!!

RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by riahc4 on 08-07-2008 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

The original source is the Messenger Live blog right?
RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by absorbation on 08-07-2008 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
The original source is the Messenger Live blog right?

Nope, a super secret inside source :P.
RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by Willz on 08-07-2008 at 11:19 PM

I'm just hoping that a repeat of what happened with 8.0 doesn't happen again where they destroy what we know about skinning causing everyone to disappear again. I'm really hoping MS considers how popular skinning has become and doesn't do anything to kill our fun too much.

RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by Basilis on 08-07-2008 at 11:32 PM

Well, lets think positive and say that the transparency feature will be good for skinners and that Microsoft may clear the UIFiles so skinners will be able to skin easier. :)

RE: RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by Willz on 08-07-2008 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Well, lets think positive and say that the transparency feature will be good for skinners and that Microsoft may clear the UIFiles so skinners will be able to skin easier. :)

If its WPF it probably won't use uifiles anymore, its possible they could use a whole new file system but keep the looks on the outside the same.
RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by Basilis on 08-07-2008 at 11:40 PM

Whatever system they may use, I am sure Patchou will find the way to continue giving us the chance to skin Messenger in the current easy way. :) But hey, they may use a more clear and easy to modify system. Positive thinking ftw!

RE: [News] Windows Live Messenger 9 to have WPF effects by joey on 08-08-2008 at 05:40 PM

im hoping they use a hybrid feature. instead of listing contacts by either status or group, use hybrid mode and set it to use both. aMSN uses it (still, afaik).