Shoutbox

Split Ethernet Cable without Router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Split Ethernet Cable without Router (/showthread.php?tid=85264)

Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-08-2008 at 09:49 AM

Is there a way that i can split the cable that comes out of the socket in my wall into two cables, like a splitter, i found one the other day that said "Telstra Verified", so i dunno if that will work if your not on telstra or what?? I want it so that i can plug Xbox 360 and computer into the internet, without having to worry about my pc rebooting.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by mattisdada on 08-08-2008 at 11:23 AM

It should work on all ethernet cables. And a standered splitter will do the job.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by foaly on 08-08-2008 at 12:38 PM

I would advise using either an router or a hub.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by tony on 08-08-2008 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Is there a way that i can split the cable that comes out of the socket in my wall into two cables, like a splitter, i found one the other day that said "Telstra Verified", so i dunno if that will work if your not on telstra or what?? I want it so that i can plug Xbox 360 and computer into the internet, without having to worry about my pc rebooting.

Depends pretty much of how many IP addresses is your ISP assigning you (most likely one).

In that case you will need a router or another nat device.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-08-2008 at 03:02 PM

I think i forgot to mention one thing, that we already have a router running in the computer room, and my connection comes from that, does this still effect it?

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by mattisdada on 08-08-2008 at 03:22 PM

Why not just get another ethernet cable and connect it directly up to the 360?

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Ezra on 08-08-2008 at 03:41 PM

quote:
I think i forgot to mention one thing, that we already have a router running in the computer room, and my connection comes from that, does this still effect it?

Then I would suggest you get a switch, put the cable from the router into it and another 2 cables, 1 for your computer and the other one for your x360. Splitters don't allow you to connect two devices to the same network, it doesn't work like a telephone.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by ShawnZ on 08-08-2008 at 04:13 PM

wait........

why does a router make your PC reboot?

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-08-2008 at 04:16 PM

It doesnt, but as i use my computer as a bridge, when my pc restarts when i need it too my xbox loses connection. And i dont wanna have to rely soley on my pcs connection.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by andrewdodd13 on 08-08-2008 at 04:25 PM

So, you have a router, next to the computer, and your computer is connected to the XBox as a bridge...?

Can't you just connect the router to the XBox, or do you mean you have a modem, totally different thing.

You won't be able to plug the 360 straight into the wall socket, even with a "splitter" as ADSL is not Ethernet (cable might be - never used it, doubt it though).

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-08-2008 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
So, you have a router, next to the computer, and your computer is connected to the XBox as a bridge...?

Can't you just connect the router to the XBox, or do you mean you have a modem, totally different thing.

You won't be able to plug the 360 straight into the wall socket, even with a "splitter" as ADSL is not Ethernet (cable might be - never used it, doubt it though).
<_<

The router and modem are in the computer room.
The wires run through to my room via a wall socket.
The cable then goes into my computer.
I then use my computer currently as a bridge.

But i want another way of connecting both my computer and my xbox 360 in my room without bridging my pc.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Ezra on 08-08-2008 at 04:37 PM

As I already said, buy a switch, a splitter will not do what you want, the switch will.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-08-2008 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
As I already said, buy a switch, a splitter will not do what you want, the switch will.
Appreciated, i will look into it :) Whats the average price for one of them things?
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by andrewdodd13 on 08-08-2008 at 04:38 PM

In that case, link us the splitter - I've never seen one before.

You can get Switches which work pretty much in this way for like £15.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Jarrod on 08-08-2008 at 11:53 PM

i think he actually wants a T-Adapter/splitter they will work fine and cheaper and smaller than a switch, and requires no power unlike most switches

splitters are usually RJ-11 filters that split your frequency to your phone and modem,

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by tony on 08-09-2008 at 02:16 AM

An rj-45 splitter will do the job for you then.

[Image: pRS1C-2790244_rshalt1_dt.jpg]

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-10-2008 at 09:26 AM

Thanks all for the help, i will head into Tandy or something tomorrow and see what they have! :) will let you all know if it all works succesfully.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by ShawnZ on 08-10-2008 at 09:59 AM

wait... so why can't you connect your xbox to your router again?

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-10-2008 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Because its 3 rooms away, and there is only one socket going from that room into mine.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by SimonHodgkiss on 08-10-2008 at 11:16 AM

Good luck mate hope you get it sorted.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by andrewdodd13 on 08-10-2008 at 11:22 AM

Actually, come to think of it - I pretty much have the same problem - except my router is in this room but all the Ethernet sockets are used.

Wonder how well these things actually work. :)

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by ShawnZ on 08-10-2008 at 11:22 AM

quote:
quote:
Because its 3 rooms away, and there is only one socket going from that room into mine.

okay, then get a switch :p
RE: RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Phillip on 08-10-2008 at 11:34 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

okay, then get a switch :p
What he wants would be cheaper.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by segosa on 08-10-2008 at 04:50 PM

something like this would probably work.

personally I'd prefer a switch, as the other port could be used in future for something else, but a splitter like that would work too.

note that as it says on there, they're used in pairs because:

Cat5e only utilises 2 of the four pairs of wires (wires 1,2,3,6) inside the cable. These splitters allow data from one connection to be sent down the usual wires 1,2,3,6 and the data from the second connection to be sent down the other cables (wires 4,5,7,8).

so you'll need one of them plugged into two ports on your router, and the other into your PC and xbox.

.. hopefully your network is not gigabit.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-14-2008 at 03:39 PM

Here is what i found at my local store the other day

[Image: 11082008086-1.jpg]

Is this the sorta thing you guys are talking about? :)

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by andrewdodd13 on 08-14-2008 at 04:22 PM

No, this appears to be a phone line splitter.

I don't know about in Australia, but in the UK they are very different cables.

In fact so much so, that we had the common sense to use a different plug for our phone lines. :)

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 04:13 AM

quote:

In fact so much so, that we had the common sense to use a different plug for our phone lines. :)
It says Phone and Modem connections, surely that means that it will work correctly? and ADSL2 etc are internet types over here.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by tony on 08-15-2008 at 04:45 AM

No, that one has one RJ-11 and one RJ45 slot, you need a splitter with two RJ-45 jacks.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 05:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
No, that one has one RJ-11 and one RJ45 slot, you need a splitter with two RJ-45 jacks.
Ahh yeah alright, thanks :) i will go back there today n see what they got :P
Cuz im plain out of ideas, if anyone can provide me with links i would appreciate it.

Australia Only please, Why is it so hard to get something so simple <_<
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by ShawnZ on 08-15-2008 at 10:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tony
Ahh yeah alright, thanks :) i will go back there today n see what they got :P
Cuz im plain out of ideas, if anyone can provide me with links i would appreciate it.

Australia Only please, Why is it so hard to get something so simple <_<

because you should be getting a switch, because that's exactly what you want, and they're easy to find :p
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 11:30 AM

At an average of $40 on Ebay for every single one ive seen, i think i have changed my mind *-)

RE: RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by andrewdodd13 on 08-15-2008 at 03:17 PM

quote:
quote:

It says Phone and Modem connections, surely that means that it will work correctly? and ADSL2 etc are internet types over here.
No, this means that it will split a phone line. You plug the phone line into a modem, do you not?
RE: RE: RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by rav0 on 08-20-2008 at 05:50 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, this means that it will split a phone line. You plug the phone line into a modem, do you not?
Correct. That Jackson ADSL In-Line Filter/Splitter is just that. It splits your phone line for use with and also incorporates an ADSL filter.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Jesus on 08-20-2008 at 01:23 PM

quote:
At an average of $40 on Ebay for every single one ive seen, i think i have changed my mind *-)
$40 for a switch on ebay? better buy a brand new one...
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-20-2008 at 02:01 PM

I don't know what to look for :S I don't know what they call them, most of them are 8 ports, i only need two -.-

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by ShawnZ on 08-20-2008 at 02:54 PM

quote:
I don't know what to look for

a switch

quote:
I don't know what they call them

switches

quote:
I don't know what to look for :S I don't know what they call them, most of them are 8 ports, i only need two -.-

so only use two
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Jesus on 08-21-2008 at 12:32 AM

quote:
I linked to a 5 port switch in my previous post...
Also, you'll need 3 ports, not 2.
1 for the router, 1 for your pc, 1 for your xbox.
So you'll have 2 ports free, which shouldn't be a problem at all.
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by segosa on 08-21-2008 at 09:18 AM

have you got a spare router lying about? if so you could just plug into the lan ports of that and it'd function as a switch.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-21-2008 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
have you got a spare router lying about? if so you could just plug into the lan ports of that and it'd function as a switch.
I have yes, but i cant seem to find a decent tutorial for people who have no idea.
RE: RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by segosa on 08-21-2008 at 10:26 AM

quote:
quote:
I have yes, but i cant seem to find a decent tutorial for people who have no idea.

1. plug everything into the four ports on the back labelled "LAN" and nothing into the "WAN" port
2. power up the router
3. ???
4. profit!
RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-21-2008 at 10:32 AM

As far as i know, the router we own only has one LAN connection which takes in the connection from the wall and the rest are WAN.

RE: RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by segosa on 08-21-2008 at 10:37 AM

quote:
As far as i know, the router we own only has one LAN connection which takes in the connection from the wall and the rest are WAN.

... no, WAN is the connection from the "wall" (it's either an ethernet connection or a phoneline connection depending on whether or not the router has a modem built in) and the other four ports are LAN.

[Image: Linksys%20WRT54G%20back.jpg]

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-21-2008 at 10:53 AM

Well yes, i mean the cord from the modem goes into a certain spot, but i think our routers are all reverse to that, cuz on the front the lights are inside a WAN bracket thing.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by segosa on 08-21-2008 at 10:56 AM

either take a picture or tell us the make/model.

RE: Split Ethernet Cable without Router by Eddie on 08-21-2008 at 11:10 AM

quote:
either take a picture or tell us the make/model.
Nevermind, apparently my dad sent it to Cash Conveters, guess im back to plan 0..and now ive got a problem with my internet just dying, it remains connected just doesnt work.