Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest (/showthread.php?tid=85305)

Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Patchou on 08-10-2008 at 04:12 AM

Hello everyone,

the update of the summer is here! It’s been a while but Messenger Plus! Live is now reliable enough to be left alone without the need of too many updates, nobody likes bloatware. Scripts and skins are still being added every week so if you like ever-changing things, you know you have the right add-on :-). Nevertheless, Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 can now be downloaded and features a couple of interesting new things, including one in particular: auto-updates for all your scripts and skins!

Most of us will download a skin or a script once and will never bother to check for updates later-on. For that reason, the many improvements that are then added by the developers are never seen by most the people who use their work. Fortunately, it is now a thing of the past as the new Messenger Plus! searches for updates of all its components in the official database and will notify you when needed. The new auto-update feature is designed to be as non-intrusive as possible so don’t worry, you’ll never be forced to install anything if for some reason you like your Messenger the way it already is :-). If you’re a script or a skin developer, please review the excellent FAQ made by MenthiX on the forum to make sure your users can benefit completely from this new feature.

Now, let’s talk about skins: some time ago, I talked about a contest… time for less talk and more action! Similar to the scripting contest that happened two years ago, this year’s Skinning Contest is opened to all the skin developers ready to face this challenge: to be the best skinner this world has ever seen!… well, maybe not the "world" but at least the Messenger community. And be sure my friends that the prizes are worth it, but first, here is how it’s going to work: starting today, you have 5 weeks to create the most outstanding skin imaginable. The deadline is September 14th at 23:59:59, Greenwich Mean Time. To participate, all you need to do is submit a skin to the official database (the contest is open worldwide), updates of existing skins are accepted. All the skins will be tested in the current most popular version of Messenger, Windows Live Messenger 8.5 (no need to make them work in the outdated Messenger 9 Beta from last winter).

Creating a skin requires a certain degree of technical skills. You need to be able to create appealing graphics as well as do some basic coding (in XML, a syntax similar to HTML). Fortunately, a lot of help is already available, whether it is on this site, on the forum or on specialized sites such as Design Evolved. Of course, you need to start with the official documentation and once you’ve been through it, take a look at the "Useful Software" part of this site’s skinning section to have the tools of the best skinner in town. The process of creating new skins can be very simple and get very complicated depending on what you want to do and what you want to see. This is a trial and error process but if you persist long enough, your creations will be admired by thousands if not millions of people. And for the next 5 weeks, you have a couple of extra reasons to do it…

[Image: tablets-forum.jpg]

Not 1 but 7 Wacom Tablets will be distributed to the winners of this contest. Your skin(s) will be judged and placed into three different categories: originality (something never done before), deformity (shaped windows), and functionality (improved user interface). The first prize for each category is an excellent Cintiq 12WX (check out the video on their site), a 12.1" TFT screen that acts like a second monitor for your computer and lets you draw directly on the pictures you want to edit with incredible precision. The second prize for each category is a very respectable Intuos3 6*8 with 1,024 pressure levels and professional software such as Adobe Photoshop Elements. And finally, the creator of the one best skin, all categories considered, will get rewarded for his efforts with a magnificent Cintiq 20WXS. This dream-come-true for any graphic designer features a 20.1" wide screen with a resolution of 1680*1050, has 14 customizable hard keys, 2 touch strips, a special rotating stand so that you can use the tablet like a big sheet of paper, anti-glare and friction coating to simulate the texture of paper and a wide viewing angle. Nothing can compare to this tablet and it’s the most recent and best model offered by the entire Wacom company. You’ll find all the information you need about those three gems on Wacom’s web site but for the 20WSX, you’ll want to take a look at the video in the 21UX section as none exists for the latest model yet.

I hope these prizes will get you going, we’ll now be waiting for your skins! Remember to try to submit your work early-on to ensure that all the basic requirements are met. Only the final version of your skin will be considered for the contest and thanks to the new auto-update feature, you can freely distribute previews of your work if you want. Note that this will also help guarantee that you’re recognized as being the first one distributing this particular skin with this particular idea to avoid possible rip-offs. If needed, more information will be posted about this contest on the forum so stay alert! And finally, if you’re not a skin developer and you’re wondering "that’s sweet but what about me?", well, you can already be glad to know that your Messenger will truly look like never before once this contest is over. Secondly, I promise to be back with another contest that’s more user-centered with lots of other cool prizes to win, probably by the end of the year :-).

Take care everyone and enjoy the last bits of summer while it lasts. Good luck for the contest!
Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by prashker on 08-10-2008 at 04:16 AM

Good luck to those unlike me with skinning talent, if any Tablet returns to sender, let me know :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by NanaFreak on 08-10-2008 at 04:19 AM

downloading... will read the post now =p

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by tony on 08-10-2008 at 04:21 AM

Excellent news, ill have to start skinning again :p

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by High Speed Chaser on 08-10-2008 at 04:23 AM

Thanks for the update Patchou.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I promise to be back with another contest that’s more user-centered with lots of other cool prizes to win, probably by the end of the year :-).

I hope it's not like last time.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Felu on 08-10-2008 at 05:35 AM

quote:
Not 1 but 10 Wacom Tablets
3 Cintiq 12WX for 1st prize
3 Intuos3 6*8 for 2nd prize
1 Cintiq 20WXS for the best in all category.

That makes total 7 and still 3 missing.

I guess you missed the third prize for each category?

Anyways looking forward to the entries in the contest. I might perhaps aswell participate :).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by mynetx on 08-10-2008 at 07:26 AM

Thank you very much for this release. You have put much effort into making auto-updates for scripts and skins a seamless and unobtrusive procedure. A thank you also goes to MenthiX for his permanent work on the scripts and skins database. And, looking forward to see amazing skins being created for and during the skin contest!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by roflmao456 on 08-10-2008 at 07:33 AM

i'm gonna try skinning just for this contest ;D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Basilis on 08-10-2008 at 07:42 AM

Downloading now... The contest ends one day before my birthday! I hope I will get a present from Patchou! :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Willz on 08-10-2008 at 07:59 AM

wow awesome prizes. The first prize is really awesome. I have an intuous 3 myself,  but a cintiq is like a graphic designers wet dream :P . They are really nice tablets, will come in handy for those who love graphic design. Good luck to everyone entering.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Eddie on 08-10-2008 at 08:40 AM

Nice update, downloading now (Y) gl to all those in the contest, not sure if i want to enter or not though, dont think i have a change.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Basilis on 08-10-2008 at 08:58 AM

Will we be able to enter more than one skins?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by warmth on 08-10-2008 at 09:02 AM

just amazing!!! thanks patch for all that...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by aNILEator on 08-10-2008 at 09:11 AM

WANT!

* aNILEator sexes up his current skin!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by CookieRevised on 08-10-2008 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
of course.

:drool: Cintiq 20WXS :drool:

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Willz on 08-10-2008 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Heh my thoughts exactly :P

I envy the person who wins one :P

Hmm not much info on how the winners will be picked though... like whether it will be voted upon or if there is a panel of judges or they are going by rating/download.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by CookieRevised on 08-10-2008 at 10:06 AM

3 prizes for each category + prize for overall winner.... = 10

----------

Stop worrying about the prizes and start skinning :P

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
.......or they are going by rating/download.
I hope (and think) not.

I mean it would be a shame if an excellent skin falls off because the theme isn't downloaded that much because another theme is a bit more popular but the skin is not made so good, or because the killer skin is added only in the last week and thus wasn't able to gather that much downloads yet. (and download count can be cheated anyways).

Seeing the categories, I think the download/rating from the DB will not be considered or at least not much (but imho, it shouldn't at all).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Felu on 08-10-2008 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
3 for first prize (1 in each category)
3 for best in each category
Contradicting yourself, eh :P?

Read the paragraph again, you'll see what's missing ;).

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Phillip on 08-10-2008 at 10:47 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Heh my thoughts exactly :P

I envy the person who wins one :P

Hmm not much info on how the winners will be picked though... like whether it will be voted upon or if there is a panel of judges or they are going by rating/download.
I think there should be a panel of judges.. If it were done by downloads I could just make a "Windows 7" skin for example and I bet it would get quite a few downloads because of the name :P
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by High Speed Chaser on 08-10-2008 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
3 for first prize (1 in each category)
3 for best in each category
Contradicting yourself, eh :P?

Read the paragraph again, you'll see what's missing ;).

My bad! :$

The other 3 go to Patchou, Willz and WDZ if he updates the forums to me
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-10-2008 at 10:58 AM

Whoo... now lets hope the server survives 50million+ users auto-updating their skins and scripts.

quote:
I hope it's not like last time.
What, you don't like clicking pixels ;)? I think it will be something different tho.

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
not sure if i want to enter or not though, dont think i have a change
Chances are pretty nice for everyone entering. Unlike the scripting contest, there are a lot less skins. There will be 3 winners in the deformity category, just take a look at how much shaped skins we have at the moment. Oh, and did I mention Willz is excluded from the contest :P?

quote:
Sure, but remember: quality over quantity. Spend 5 weeks making a perfect skin, or making 3 OK ones :).

quote:
like whether it will be voted upon or if there is a panel of judges or they are going by rating/download
By rating/download would be bad since they can be tempered with. Patchou: get a panel of judges together :p.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by absorbation on 08-10-2008 at 11:50 AM

Prizes look great, I expect to see some great skins coming up soon :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Spunky on 08-10-2008 at 12:54 PM

* Spunky goes back to lab, trying to get his head around skinning...

Do I get a T-shirt after this comp? :p

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by aNILEator on 08-10-2008 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Do I get a T-shirt after this comp? (Smilie)
CLAIMAGE!
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Lukychan on 08-10-2008 at 01:07 PM

Well, i love Plus! 4.70 and the prizes :P Thank you very much, Patchou :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by aNILEator on 08-10-2008 at 01:11 PM

May the best Nile win (at least something) :P

:)

nah seriously 'tis all good what are the categories and judging criteria's?

because currently there are 7 categories and I dunno about you but...

1 x Grand prize
7 x First prize
7 x Second Prize

15 Does not = 10 :D

PS: Yes I know you mentioned categories but I want more chances :P
PPS: Patchou sucks at maths :P

1 x Grand Prize
3 x 1st Prize
3 x 2nd Prize

7 Does Not = 10 :(

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Willz on 08-10-2008 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Do I get a T-shirt after this comp? (Smilie)
CLAIMAGE!

pssh well if you guys get a shirt I should get a special one like says that I was too awesome for the contest :P

(btw I'm kidding just in case anyone does take this seriously:P)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Patchou on 08-10-2008 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
Not 1 but 10 Wacom Tablets
3 Cintiq 12WX for 1st prize
3 Intuos3 6*8 for 2nd prize
1 Cintiq 20WXS for the best in all category.

That makes total 7 and still 3 missing.

Anyways looking forward to the entries in the contest. I might perhaps aswell participate :).
That's what happens when you write a news post and you're dead tired. Fixed! sorry about that.

quote:
Yup

quote:

There will be a panel of judges with a grid of points allocated with several criterias, like stability, the attention to details, etc... rating and download count will be part of the equation in a special way but won't count for much (see that as bonus points if you promote your work properly)

quote:

Do I get a T-shirt after this comp? :p
Nope, no shirt this time, I've had my fill of making packages for those :p. If you win a tablet, I can arrange for a replacement though.

quote:

pssh well if you guys get a shirt I should get a special one like says that I was too awesome for the contest :P
That's an idea... maybe I will go buy some more packaging material after all... lemme think about that :banana:
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by aNILEator on 08-10-2008 at 02:10 PM

noooo less prizes :(

Have another category and a 2nd grand prize :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Willz on 08-10-2008 at 02:13 PM

lol I really don't see how you could have come to 10 as a number Patch :P I read it a couple times and was like hmm.......?

How about instead of a shirt you just give out a custom forum title :P everyone loves an ego booster! :D

quote:
noooo less prizes

Just means people will have to work harder I guess. :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-10-2008 at 02:23 PM

quote:
noooo less prizes
Pssh.. a little over 70 skins in the DB currently. I don't see all of them submiting an update, but of course there will be new skins too. Let's say 70 skins enter the contest... 1 to 10 chance of winning prices worth up to 2000USD :).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Basilis on 08-10-2008 at 03:12 PM

I am messed up. Will there be 7 or 10 winners?

Bad there is not a Playstation 3 as a prize! :D

About the functionality category. Does this apply to how easy to use a skin is and how many options it has? Or it means you need to have a clean design?

I know, I ask too many questions! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Nathan on 08-10-2008 at 03:17 PM

Could we swap a tablet for a nintendo wii? (a)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Patchou on 08-10-2008 at 03:32 PM

quote:
I am messed up. Will there be 7 or 10 winners?

Bad there is not a Playstation 3 as a prize! :D

About the functionality category. Does this apply to how easy to use a skin is and how many options it has? Or it means you need to have a clean design?

I know, I ask too many questions! :)

7 winners (sorry about the previous typo)

No prize swapping allowed :p

The functionnality category has both of what you mention. It's about changing the way users interact with Messenger.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Nathan on 08-10-2008 at 04:17 PM

Willz: don't tell patchou - but i give you £70, and you make me a awesome skin, everyones happy!

No one will ever know

muahaha

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Eljay on 08-10-2008 at 05:02 PM

Great prizes, now I have 5 weeks to come up with a good idea and make it :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Spunky on 08-10-2008 at 05:48 PM

So, erm... I'm guessing skins based of Open Live or eligible? :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by aNILEator on 08-10-2008 at 06:13 PM

quote:
So, erm... I'm guessing skins based of Open Live or eligible? :D
yes but that doesn't mean that any 'Wallpaper' skin is going to win
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Bionic on 08-10-2008 at 06:50 PM

Thanks! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Nagamasa on 08-10-2008 at 11:47 PM

Can a person win more than one prize? Or just the best prize out of all the prizes they would've won?

Weeee update soon to two of my skins :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-10-2008 at 11:53 PM

Probably fair to pick 7 unique winners. Who needs two tablets anyway :P?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Nathan on 08-10-2008 at 11:55 PM

Pfft one for each hand...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Winky on 08-11-2008 at 07:43 AM

Nice update ;)
I like the auto-update thing for scripts and skins :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Basilis on 08-11-2008 at 08:36 AM

So from now on, every skin submitted to the database is considered to be competing for the contest? Or we will send an e-mail telling MenthiX this skin goes for the "deformity" category for example?

Another question is, are skins that hide the ads valid for the contest?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Sunshine on 08-11-2008 at 08:55 AM

Thanks Patchou, as always i've updated my mirror too and wrote a lil article on my site (yesterday).

Basilis, every skin submitted before the deadline and accepted into the database will be in the competition. Accepted means your skin will have to follow the rules on the submit page, so no hiding ads.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Volv on 08-11-2008 at 09:00 AM

Wow, excellent prizes!
Do skin updates for existing skins qualify as entries into the contest (the rules didn't specify)?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Sunshine on 08-11-2008 at 09:01 AM

Yup updates qualify too ;)

quote:
To participate, all you need to do is submit a skin to the official database (the contest is open worldwide), updates of existing skins are accepted.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by ipab on 08-11-2008 at 10:31 AM

I'll enter for sure, now that willz is out of the picture :P :)... just have to wait till exams end.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-11-2008 at 10:32 AM

quote:
So from now on, every skin submitted to the database is considered to be competing for the contest?
Every new skin or update which is added to the site automatically enters the contest. You will be mailed back with a confirmation about the contest.

quote:
Or we will send an e-mail telling MenthiX this skin goes for the "deformity" category for example?
Not needed, a skin could win in any of the categories, this is up to the judges.

quote:
are skins that hide the ads valid for the contest?
The usual rules for entering the download DB apply. The .reg workarounds are accepted like usual.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Volv on 08-11-2008 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Yup updates qualify too ;)

quote:
To participate, all you need to do is submit a skin to the official database (the contest is open worldwide), updates of existing skins are accepted.

Ooh ok, completely missed that. Thanks for that :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by ipab on 08-14-2008 at 01:48 AM

@Volv, your skin is really awesome (I saw a screenshot of it). Good idea and implementation (y).

As far as this contest goes, hopefully a lot of people enter it and hopefully it's with good quality skins... That is after all the point of this contest.

Patchou, what is the rule with regards to getting help from people? (Actually, historically, I'd draw out or do a rough sketch of something and willz would make it look awesome for me, is that allowed?)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Voldemort on 08-14-2008 at 02:08 AM

so willz's open thing counts as a skin for those that base their skins on it?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Nathan on 08-14-2008 at 02:12 AM

Yep

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Voldemort on 08-14-2008 at 02:17 AM

sure? it was never confirmed by mr. patchou or mr. menthixxx

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by John Anderton on 08-14-2008 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Yep
Erm, I think not. And last I heard, Willz wasn't allowed to take part or something. Poor him ;(
* John Anderton gives Willz a candy and cheers on the others waiting to see who wins.
go people go.. make my wlm sexier than it already is :P

PS: Volv, make sure you add an update to your skin Deep Blue so that it has a shot too :) I love that skin :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-14-2008 at 02:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
so willz's open thing counts as a skin for those that base their skins on it?
As far as i care Open Live based skins are allowed in the contest. Just remember you don't get any credit for Open Live's features, you'll have to put in extra effort to compete contest-wise with other skins.

But for real confirmation, ask Patchou and Willz :).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by prashker on 08-14-2008 at 04:18 AM

asked him a few days ago

12:28 AM) SonicSam: is OpenLive allowed?
(12:28 AM) SonicSam: as a basis
(12:28 AM) SonicSam: you should probably put that in big text weither it's allowed or not
(12:28 AM) SonicSam: 
(12:29 AM) Patchou: yup it is
(12:29 AM) Patchou: now, to the bath I go

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Volv on 08-14-2008 at 04:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
PS: Volv, make sure you add an update to your skin Deep Blue so that it has a shot too :) I love that skin :)
It has had a todo list for quite a while, maybe this contest will actually motivate me to work on it :D
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by stuartbennett on 08-17-2008 at 11:52 AM

how do you apply to be a judge? the reason i ask is because its unlikely that ill be entering 365 into the contest, the reason why it probably wont be entered is because i need to receive some graphics from freak544 before i can do anymore work to it and even with 5 weeks left to go its unlikely he will get back to me in time, besides which 365 incorporates willz emoticons (with his permission of course) but because it has a willz feature in it and willz isnt allowed to enter its unclear if itll be permited anyways, besides i also had some features developed for me by blessedguy (again ive credited him and have his permission) but rules are unclear about the help factor.

so if i can't enter rather than let this whole contest pass me by id like to be a judge.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by Menthix on 08-17-2008 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
how do you apply to be a judge?
I think Patchou will just pick a few people he thinks are qualified.

As for Willz emoticons, i think it's the same story as Open Live... it's allowed, but you wont score any extra points for it.
Receiving help from others: Sure, why wouldn't that be allowed. The skinning forum and Design Evolved is all about helping each other, would be a shame it that wasn't allowed. It's fair to credit others for their help, and never rip from others without permission.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by stuartbennett on 08-17-2008 at 12:46 PM

if i use graphics or an entire feature from another skin i will of course credit the original creator, i wouldnt want people stealing my ideas so i treat other skin developers with the respect i expect to get myself, well then assuming in its present form its within the rules my only issue preventing me from competing will be that i need help with graphics to do anymore with 365.

while i am good at the coding half of skinning im not so good wuth graphical design which is why i enlisted freak544 as a skinning partner in the first place not just that but we both had similar ideas in that we both developed event orientated skins so joining forces made sense.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by AbiieeeX on 10-01-2008 at 11:51 AM

Why Doesn't it work on the new windows live beta messenger?messenger is rubbish without it. Are you updating the software soon?

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.70 + Contest by djdannyp on 10-01-2008 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AbiieeeX
Why Doesn't it work on the new windows live beta messenger?messenger is rubbish without it. Are you updating the software soon?

[READ]What's going on with Plus! and WLM 9?
Will Plus! be updated to work with the new 9 build?

These should answer your question :)