Shoutbox

D-Link Wireless card issues - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: D-Link Wireless card issues (/showthread.php?tid=85353)

D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-12-2008 at 10:59 PM

I recently bought a D-Link DWL-G510 Rev C2 wireless card. It's installed in my desktop PC running Vista Ultimate. It has had its ups and downs, so I'll explain...

Installed the card and used the Vista drivers from the D-Link website. Seemed to work fine, but then I noticed my download speed was very slow (normal speed around 400-500kbps, slow speed around 100-150kbps). I fixed this by using the XP drivers on the site.
Everything was running smoothly up until now. The connection keeps dropping even though the signal strength is either very good or excellent. When the network is connected the speed as very bad. I checked on a speed test and the speed was similar to 28.8k dial-up (:|). Also, if Vista sees the network it will try and connect but then fail saying "it has failed due to an unknown reason". Obviously this makes using the internet very difficult.
I tried uninstalling the drivers and installing the Vista ones, but no go. Same thing happens. Try different variations (Rev A, or B drivers as well as XP and Vista ones) and I even tried the RaLink drivers (as they use the same chipset and D-Link just re-brand them)
It is really frustrating. Any ideas?

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Voldemort on 08-12-2008 at 11:09 PM

any new device/moved the router from its original position so that interference might be affecting it?

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-13-2008 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
any new device/moved the router from its original position so that interference might be affecting it?
Nope. Nothing changed when the problem happened. Could it be the XP driver has messed up the card or something?
RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by segosa on 08-13-2008 at 02:09 PM

an XP driver isn't going to physically mess up the card, but if you have access to other PCs with either Vista or XP, you should try install it on them to see if it's the card's fault, Windows', or the driver's.

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-17-2008 at 08:57 PM

I tried it in my brothers PC and it seems to be ok.
It seems to connecting better on my PC. No drop outs today. Don't know why. Speed is still slow though.

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Voldemort on 08-17-2008 at 11:42 PM

perhaps some of your neighbors installed something that works in the same channel, try changing your router's channel to the opposite that it currently has set

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Jarrod on 08-18-2008 at 08:48 AM

cordless phones also run on the same frequency

RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-18-2008 at 11:37 AM

quote:
perhaps some of your neighbors installed something that works in the same channel, try changing your router's channel to the opposite that it currently has set
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
I thought that but my laptop, which sits right next to the desktop has no problems whatsoever.
RE: RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by ethanp on 08-18-2008 at 01:48 PM

quote:

microwaves
RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by RaceProUK on 08-18-2008 at 06:57 PM

quote:
More than that. Bluetooth also works at 2.4GHz, so that could be causing some interference.
RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Voldemort on 08-18-2008 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
I thought that but my laptop, which sits right next to the desktop has no problems whatsoever.
try it anyway. some cards might be more susceptible to interference than others.
RE: RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by segosa on 08-18-2008 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
More than that. Bluetooth also works at 2.4GHz, so that could be causing some interference.

no, bluetooth channel-hops 1600 times a second
RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-18-2008 at 10:42 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
try it anyway. some cards might be more susceptible to interference than others.
Ok. I've tried different channel and I can't see any difference
RE: D-Link Wireless card issues by Reaper on 08-21-2008 at 10:34 PM

A little bump.

I did a random speed test online. One particular site said my QoS was at 35%. Could this be the issue. I didn't pay too much attention because QoS is mainly used for VoIP.