Shoutbox

Custom Secret Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Custom Secret Question (/showthread.php?tid=85363)

Custom Secret Question by Gulk on 08-13-2008 at 12:43 PM

Hey, i've seen my friend has his secret question as "No Hacking" and he wont tell me how he did it.
Does anyone know how its done? Thx :)
EDIT: Talking about Hotmail

RE: Custom Secret Question by user27089 on 08-13-2008 at 05:27 PM

It's a question that you add when you're creating an account with hotmail. During the process it asks you to choose a secret question or create your own. He's obviously just created his own that says 'No Hacking' which he can only ever know the answer to, which seems pretty stupid to me. But that's how you do it.

RE: RE: Custom Secret Question by xjup on 08-13-2008 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
which seems pretty stupid to me

He asked how it's done, not your personal opinion on what someone else chose as their security question.
RE: Custom Secret Question by user27089 on 08-13-2008 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xjup
quote:
which seems pretty stupid to me

He asked how it's done, not your personal opinion on what someone else chose as their security question.

Yes but we're also entitled to give advice on the matter, urging people against doing things that might cause trouble in the future. For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to? That's the way people post on this forum, sorry if I seemed a bit rash.
RE: Custom Secret Question by Menthix on 08-13-2008 at 08:27 PM

quote:
For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to?
I set silly questions with totally random strings as answer all the time :). It's pretty easy to "crack" most default questions with a bit of social engineering. If i want an answer which can't be socially engineered i might as well use a password as answer, but that defeats the point of having a security question, so i choose to not use the security question at all and fill in giberish.
RE: Custom Secret Question by RaceProUK on 08-13-2008 at 09:16 PM

quote:
He's obviously just created his own that says 'No Hacking' which he can only ever know the answer to, which seems pretty stupid to me.
Actually, he's using the secret question for its intended purpose :P
RE: Custom Secret Question by Nathan on 08-13-2008 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to?
I set silly questions with totally random strings as answer all the time :). It's pretty easy to "crack" most default questions with a bit of social engineering. If i want an answer which can't be socially engineered i might as well use a password as answer, but that defeats the point of having a security question, so i choose to not use the security question at all and fill in giberish.
x2
RE: Custom Secret Question by andrewdodd13 on 08-13-2008 at 09:26 PM

I use cryptic clues in mine. For example, 1FemCous + #(6)[lolcat] would be name of first female cousin with the name capitalised followed by the first 6 hex digits of the MD5 Hash of lolcat :).

Anyway, that's a side thing. I think Microsoft / MSN provide default security questions when registering, however if you go into your options / settings / etc (I don't really use their web stuff anymore) then you can customise it here.