Shoutbox

[Release] Oil Slick 1.02 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 (/showthread.php?tid=85403)

[Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Volv on 08-15-2008 at 01:50 AM

Oil Slick

A touch of class, a pinch of style.

From the recipient of the March 2008 Design Evolved 'Skin of the Month' award comes the latest of his creations which brings a slick new interface to Windows Live Messenger for your enjoyment.

Download now!

[Image: screenshot.png]

RE: [Release] Oil Slick by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 03:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Why the delete+repost.
He changed the seperator so he reposted ;)

OK :) I like that a little more now, the personal message doesn't go over its space, the seperators look neat, which in turn doesn't make the little formatting options look so bad :P

I approve of the update, but I unfortunately just really do not like the pictures, they look alright but as i said before, looks like the quality in them has been dropped :( Other than that, it looks quite nice :)
RE: [Release] Oil Slick by prashker on 08-15-2008 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:
Why the delete+repost.
And the problem with editing the first post of the old thread wasssss..........

Regardless I still think it's a nice looking skin, and you may have made me consider going back to 8.5 :p
RE: [Release] Oil Slick by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 03:30 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Why the delete+repost.
And the problem with editing the first post of the old thread wasssss..........

Regardless I still think it's a nice looking skin, and you may have made me consider going back to 8.5 :p
It was compiled with things i said i didn't like about it? lol :P along with Nathan, clean slate i guess.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick by Willz on 08-15-2008 at 04:02 AM

As I have said already, good job on a solid release. Good luck in the contest :)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Volv on 08-15-2008 at 04:08 AM

quote:
I approve of the update, but I unfortunately just really do not like the pictures, they look alright but as i said before, looks like the quality in them has been dropped :( Other than that, it looks quite nice :)
You mean the button icons? I was going for a certain style which I thought looked nice and fit in with the skin well. The quality isn't a problem with the image file or anything like that, it's actually how I intended it to be but I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Eddie on 08-15-2008 at 04:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
You mean the button icons? I was going for a certain style which I thought looked nice and fit in with the skin well. The quality isn't a problem with the image file or anything like that, it's actually how I intended it to be but I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it.
Yeah i completely understand that it is a part of the skin (Y) when i said it looks like they have lost quality i mean, the black around the edge just makes it look a little strange, other than that though i agree with Willz, very well done, i certainly couldn't do it and good luck in the competition!
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by GraphiX on 08-15-2008 at 06:40 PM

I can't download this skin, it redirects me to msgpluslive.net and it does do nothing, when i press download skin it's show me nothing also, msgpluslive.net is strange site(N)

greetz

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Nathan on 08-15-2008 at 07:24 PM

The site was having problems before, it's all fixed now.

Try now :)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Kenji on 08-15-2008 at 07:59 PM

best skin evar, but the Info bubble thingy looks shitty :(

[Image: WindowClippings_12bbe27292d2402c858deafd2004777e.png]

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by haydos on 08-15-2008 at 08:44 PM

Great skin! I'm using this one for sure.

RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Willz on 08-15-2008 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy

That's just because that resource points to a 256 color bitmap. You can't replace with a png, but you can do a dodgy hack that makes it seem like you did :P I'm sure Volv will polish a few things before the contests end.
RE: RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by ryxdp on 08-15-2008 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz

That's just because that resource points to a 256 color bitmap. You can't replace with a png, but you can do a dodgy hack that makes it seem like you did :P

Just out of curiosity, can you replace it with a 32-bit bmp? Or would WLM stuff up if you try?

@Volv: Great skin by the way, not really my sort of thing but its pretty darn good anyway :P
RE: RE: RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Willz on 08-15-2008 at 11:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
quote:

That's just because that resource points to a 256 color bitmap. You can't replace with a png, but you can do a dodgy hack that makes it seem like you did :P

Just out of curiosity, can you replace it with a 32-bit bmp? Or would WLM stuff up if you try?

@Volv: Great skin by the way, not really my sort of thing but its pretty darn good anyway :P

It would crash, just because wlm is coded to read a 256 bitmap of that exact size and then mask out the (255,0,255) color value. I wish there was a way because those old bmp images annoy me too, but yeah its just a technical limitation.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by joey on 08-16-2008 at 12:03 AM

the only thing im not convinced about in the skin is the close/min/max buttons. theyre too close together/too small tbh. but its rather sexy as a whole ;p

RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Volv on 08-16-2008 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy

You're using an outdated version of the skin :p (a newer version was updated in the skins DB before this thread was made).
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Justin on 08-16-2008 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
the only thing im not convinced about in the skin is the close/min/max buttons. theyre too close together/too small tbh.

I agree, I often find myself clicking the wrong thing.
But I really like this skin, I can see myself using this for a long time.

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by FTs OnE on 08-20-2008 at 11:04 AM

I love this skin !!! But I don't like the chat window it's too much morbid for me. lol
Adding a background button could be great :)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Spunky on 08-20-2008 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FTs OnE
I love this skin !!! But I don't like the chat window it's too much morbid for me. lol
Adding a background button could be great :)

You can still change the backround through the menu
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by FTs OnE on 08-20-2008 at 01:42 PM

^o) Very weird...will try to see why.
EDIT: It doesn't work, only change main color:@

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Boyoungirl on 08-24-2008 at 02:18 AM

how could i REMOVE THE ADS ~
THX~~ ^^

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Dex Luther on 08-24-2008 at 03:56 AM

Great skin. *wishes it worked with WLM9*

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.01 by Volv on 08-26-2008 at 11:25 AM

Oil Slick 1.02 has been released (click)

Changes in v1.02:
- Fixed the "Remove 'Sort Contacts by' button" option which was not working as expected.
- Added an option to remove "Messenger" window title logo in Contact List and Conversation windows.
- Added an option to remove "Messenger" title logo in Toast pop-ups.
- Fixed scrollbar in contact list which used to become invisible when the user had too many contacts (or window height was too small)
- Changed 'Add contact' and 'Sort contacts' button in Contact List to include a bit of colour (instead of black and white)
- Modified button MouseOver images in Contact List and Conversation windows.
- Modified button MouseOver images in Sign-in window.
- Modified button designs in Sign-in window.
- Fixed 'Colorize' button image in Mobile contact conversations not being skinned.
- Adjusted formatting toolbar button images in conversation windows to make them look a bit nicer.
- Status icon MouseOver images modified for users with 'Display Pic Size' = 'None'.
- Re-added optional ability to apply wallpapers. Note: Quality of results may vary depending on chosen background image.
- Fixed wordwheel searches with no results displaying dark and difficult to read text.
- Skinned 'Skin Options' window.
- Skinned 'Windows Live Today' browser window.
- Added option to not skin: toasts, windows live today.

Download Oil Slick 1.02 now and enjoy!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Felu on 08-26-2008 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Fixed scrollbar in contact list which used to become invisible when the user had too many contacts (or window height was too small)
Thanks <3
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Basilis on 08-26-2008 at 02:34 PM

Nice update. :) I like the new options.

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by ZOiD on 08-26-2008 at 03:58 PM

Hello!!!

Yeah Nice update, but check this-
[Image: 0112.png]

Seelater!!!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by quentrin on 09-14-2008 at 06:28 PM

Any chance of removing the ads in the main window?

Great skin nonetheless!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Basilis on 09-14-2008 at 06:45 PM

Open the skin's folder and you will find a file called "Remove Ads". Run that file and do what it says. :)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by quentrin on 09-14-2008 at 06:56 PM

Thanks! Worked great!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by thejman82 on 11-21-2008 at 05:42 PM

(Y)Excellent Skin!!!(Y)

Though I have one thing to mention that would be worth adding.

• Add transparency to the message window text boxes to allow backgrounds to show through when used.
Other than that it's great!!  Not to many dark skins out there that actually look good.   

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Yellow Daffodil on 11-25-2008 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ZOiD
Hello!!!

Yeah Nice update, but check this-
[Image: 0112.png]

Seelater!!!
There's worse :

[Image: skinqy0.th.jpg]

No Apply button ???

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by u2pop on 12-04-2008 at 04:11 AM

hello Volv dude congraculations with your great skins you made with Oil Slick but i have a little problem if can please to help me to fix it.. when i select the BLACK COLOR with your skin seen very very cool but i have a little problem is i cant seen the scroll bar for mode to down/up but is there the bar is just the color cant seen it.. if there can do something like can change just the scroll bar color ? thanks dude and give a good work !!!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by FTs OnE on 12-12-2008 at 01:32 PM

Once again thanks Volv for you very nice skin ! But there was something I wanted to change on it, like font, icons, and the chat window (I put WLM2009's one). And now, this is the result (more colored ^^) :

[Image: ______MY_WLM_SKIN_______by_FTsOnE.jpg]

So I'd like to know if I can publish it on my deviantart: http://ftsone.deviantart.com ?

Sorry for my poor english...

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Volv on 12-12-2008 at 10:17 PM

quote:
So I'd like to know if I can publish it on my deviantart: http://ftsone.deviantart.com ?
Sure, it looks great!
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by roflmao456 on 12-13-2008 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Once again thanks Volv for you very nice skin ! But there was something I wanted to change on it, like font, icons, and the chat window (I put WLM2009's one). And now, this is the result (more colored ^^) :
[img]
sure :P i don't mind
nice mods you made to it (Y)
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by FTs OnE on 12-13-2008 at 12:13 AM

Thanks men ! But I can't upload it on Messenger Plus! website because I deleted some options. So I'd like to know if someone could help me with this ? And adding new stuff on it ? ;)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Furiousa on 01-04-2009 at 09:02 AM

I really like this skin and just wanna say thanks. Really good job.

I like everything about it except for the chat window box. I've always used a  custom background and I've noticed that there doesnt seem to be a transparency effect when I put one on.

Is there a way to enable transparency? Some files I'd need to edit?

Thanks in advance

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by JoaoVr on 02-13-2009 at 08:50 PM

Are you thinking to release a version to WLM 2009?

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Eddie on 02-19-2009 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoaoVr
Are you thinking to release a version to WLM 2009?
Agreed, i would like to see this skin updated to support WLM2009 :)
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Willz on 02-19-2009 at 01:07 AM

Well I have always liked Oil Slick, its been one of the few skins that I thought was well thought out and aesthetically pleasing.

Volv if you do plan do update feel free to give me a shout if you are having troubles, I'll be glad to help out.

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Markkys04 on 03-10-2009 at 06:38 PM

Hi, This skin is reallyyyy nice. At this time, it's my favorite one. There's only one thing i wanna know. How can i change the white background in the window conversation. I want to change it for something more like the rest of the skin.. (depend on which color a take)

thank you!!!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by FTs OnE on 03-11-2009 at 11:30 AM

[Image: mywlmskinbyftsone.jpg]
http://ftsone.deviantart.com

Hi! I'm still working on my mod, but I really need help with options and putting the "sound record" back, instead of pressing F2.
I also added new emoticons (dunno who made it), plus I replaced new emo with mine.

Well, this version only work with 8.5, but it will great if we can have the same for 9.0 (Y)

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Markkys04 on 03-12-2009 at 09:02 PM

Very nice background Florian. Can you tell me how you remove the email information under the contact name?? I can't find how to do it.
Like the picture you put of your msn, we only see the names and status information. This skin supposed to work only with the msn 8.5 version? It's the one i have :)

thank!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Malkav on 03-16-2009 at 05:01 PM

Hi all :D
i'm new on this forum.
I have a problem with installation of the skin, because the pop up window (later that i double click the skin pack) alerts me that my version is incompatible with the skin and link me the latest version of the messenger, but i have the latest version of msn 2009 :V

I ask pls if anyone may help me in this trouble :( 'cause i really like this skin and i think its wonderful ;)

Cu and Thanks  :D
Malkav

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by robert_dll on 03-16-2009 at 05:20 PM

This skin is only compatible with 8.5, you can't install it if you have WLM 2009(9.0/14.0)

RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Malkav on 03-17-2009 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
This skin is only compatible with 8.5, you can't install it if you have WLM 2009(9.0/14.0)

Thanks a lot for the info :D
but i tried to search the version 8.5 but every link to this DL redirect me on the latest version of wlm :S

If you know a sure place where i can found this file, can you pls, link me the url?

cu
Malkav.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by robert_dll on 03-17-2009 at 10:38 PM

I think Microsoft is already forcing many people to update, but if you still want to install it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?d...-b445-0487bd5e84ef

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by twistah on 03-19-2009 at 09:53 AM

Hello,

I just installed the latest WLM version and now I can't use this skin anymore.. which sucks.. Is there any chance, the maker of this makes it compatible with the latest WLM version? I really would like to be still able to use this skin..

RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by JoaoVr on 03-28-2009 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twistah
Hello,

I just installed the latest WLM version and now I can't use this skin anymore.. which sucks.. Is there any chance, the maker of this makes it compatible with the latest WLM version? I really would like to be still able to use this skin..

Me too ;)
RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by T-PO on 03-29-2009 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twistah
Hello,

Count me in too...

BTW I used this skin because it quite rightly won the Skinning contest of last year... doesn't this bring any responsibility to port it to 14/2009?

Patchou... what do you think?

Regards,

T-PO
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by blessedguy on 03-29-2009 at 07:12 PM

You unpatient people... just wait! =)
He will update it as soon as he wants, no one can force him to do it.

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Matti on 03-29-2009 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T-PO
BTW I used this skin because it quite rightly won the Skinning contest of last year... doesn't this bring any responsibility to port it to 14/2009?
There's nothing which brings any kind of "responsibility" for updating this skin to the creator. Of course, it'd be great if he could keep this skin working on the latest version, but keep in mind that as far as I know, nobody's getting paid for releasing skins for free. Most of the people here have other projects/work/real life activities to do other than making skins. Skinning takes a long time to get it right, especially for major version increases (8.5 to 9.0 / 14.0 / 2009) so either you just wait or you do it yourself! :P

Yes, this skin has won a prize in the skinning competition, and then what? The winning project in the scripting competition was Screenshot Sender, and matty still hasn't been able to update it simply because he has many other things to do. It's not because you create something, that you're explicitly obligated to maintain it forever!

quote:
Originally posted by T-PO
Patchou... what do you think?
What has Patchou to do with this? :S
Patchou creates Messenger Plus! Live, he builds the skinning functionality but he doesn't create them. He organizes skinning contests but he's not the boss of the skinning creators (I hope? :P).

Seriously, even if you had a petition signed by millions of people to get this skin updated, Volv probably still has other things he has to do. The Windows Live Messenger team gets paid to develop Messenger, but Volv doesn't get paid for making this skin.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by blessedguy on 03-29-2009 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matti
Volv doesn't get paid for making this skin.
Sidenote: if someone wills to pay us (skinners and scripters), no problems at all =)
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by steph9106 on 03-30-2009 at 04:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by Matti
Volv doesn't get paid for making this skin.
Sidenote: if someone wills to pay us (skinners and scripters), no problems at all =)
Lol that sure sounds like a pretty good incentive to get you guys work more, eh? XD

Anyways, nice skin you've got there Volv! Loved it! (L)
Too bad it's not compatible with WLM9.0 :(
Guess us suckers who dl'd the latest WLM will just have to wait or dl 8.5 again. XD
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by JoaoVr on 04-01-2009 at 11:23 PM

Let's make a petition :D

RE: RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by Willz on 04-02-2009 at 12:26 AM

quote:

A petition isn't going to force a skinner to do anything. Technically he doesn't have to do anything. Skinning is just a hobby so he has no obligation to do anything.

Yes we know people miss the skin, but having more and more people post asking for an update isn't exactly doing anything.

And for those wondering if he is going to update it, well I talked to him about it to see if he has any plans and he said that he just can't find the time at the moment. Which is fair enough considering the effort it takes to make a skin.

Going from 8.5 to 9 isn't a simple copy paste job like most people believe it to be. The skins have to be rethought out and recoded to fit to Messenger 9's new layout and restrictions.

Remember guys, skinning isn't our entire lives. We all have jobs, school and social lives to live. Skinning is at the bottom of our things to do list.
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by blessedguy on 04-02-2009 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Remember guys, skinning isn't our entire lives. We all have jobs, school and social lives to live. Skinning is at the bottom of our things to do list.
Took the words out of my mouth, Willz!

quote:
Yes we know people miss the skin, but having more and more people post asking for an update isn't exactly doing anything.
In fact, it gets annoying after some time...

quote:
Make one. After some time you'll see it didn't help...

Just wait people... Wait... You were fine before skinning was so easy, so why can't you wait just a bit more? =)
RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by JoaoVr on 05-06-2009 at 01:39 AM

Don't let Oil Slick die!

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by M.A.G.I.C on 04-22-2010 at 10:45 AM

thanks alot

RE: [Release] Oil Slick 1.02 by JoaoVr on 02-15-2011 at 03:09 PM

The 2011 Messenger Plus! Skinning Contest an update would be awesome!