Shoutbox

Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? - Gt it on my laptop, but SEVERE lagging, please help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? - Gt it on my laptop, but SEVERE lagging, please help (/showthread.php?tid=85416)

Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? - Gt it on my laptop, but SEVERE lagging, please help by M73A on 08-15-2008 at 04:33 PM

i dont particularly want to buy a tv to take to uni with me, but i would like to take my wii, the reason i wont need a tv is because my laptop has a tv tuner.

the only problem is i don't know if its possible to connect my wii to the laptop because the tv tuner only has an aerial cable connector ( VHF/UHF)

any ideas?

thanks

edit:
i have also noticed that i have a s video in connector. would that help at all?

edit 2:
it seems it is possible to get hold of a s-video connector, but im not sure about the audio, theres a normal audio jack but the leads come with

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by andrewdodd13 on 08-15-2008 at 04:52 PM

Ok, my general answer at this point would be no.

You may be able to get a component to vga adapter for cheap, but as for DVI... not going to happen. Very expensive - DVI is digital, there'd be a lot of conversion involved.

And then I read that you have a laptop. I find it very curious that you have a DVI IN port on your laptop, but never mind.

The best option I can offer you is something like this - it takes Component in and outputs Co-ax, I'm not sure how well it'd work with your capture card (if at all) in terms of Picture Quality and Lag.

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-15-2008 at 04:53 PM

i messed up the names, i have an s video in. sorry. lol

right, so i found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-S-Video-AV-Cable-White/dp/B000P93GVG

this is what im confused about, theres the s video plug. what are the other three? i dont have room for them! :(

also this is a bit stupid but i have no idea how to turn the video input on, lol

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by RaceProUK on 08-15-2008 at 07:44 PM

That cable allows connection via S-Video or RCA. So, here's what you do:
- Plug the S-Video into the laptop.
- Get an adapter from Maplin, and connect the red and white RCA (phono) leads to it.
- Connect adaptor to laptop's Line In.
- Wave the Wiimote until it flies out your hand, and into a small furry animal!

Edit: The yellow RCA cable will dangle free - this is fine, as it's for video, and you're using the S-Video link. However, as S-Video doesn't carry sound, the red and white audio cables must be connected.

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-15-2008 at 10:10 PM

ah right, yes the two sound ones made sense but the other video was a bit strange. thanks!

wikid!, i know a local electrical shop who should have those connectors, just to buy myself a cable!

thanks! this just saved me from spending a few hundred on a new tv! :D

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by tony on 08-15-2008 at 11:55 PM

This one is cheap and will work great for you.

http://www.amazon.com/UNIV-RF-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp...=1218844355&sr=1-1

Edit: This item will be released on August 21, 2008

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-16-2008 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
This one is cheap and will work great for you.

http://www.amazon.com/UNIV-RF-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp...=1218844355&sr=1-1

Edit: This item will be released on August 21, 2008

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses

:( am in the uk

that is one F*CKING AMAZING product though, lol

edit: ah game seem to manufacture one!

what i dont understand is im not sure how to custom set channels with windows media center because it automatically finds everything :S, im going to have to tune the wii in
RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by tony on 08-16-2008 at 12:13 AM

Well, look for one at a UK site, that's basically what you need, an RF converter :P

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-16-2008 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
Well, look for one at a UK site, that's basically what you need, an RF converter :P
yup, £3.00! <3 ebay!
RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-16-2008 at 11:54 PM

sorry about the double post... once my rf adapter arrives how do i tune windows media center to pick it up :S

edit:
ahh no worries! just need to find out what mhz it works on and i can tune it in! yay!

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by RaceProUK on 08-18-2008 at 06:46 PM

If you're connecting over S-Video, you won't need to tune WMC in at all. You'll just need to set the source to S-Video.

Edit: And I recommend going the S-Video route, as the picture quality will be noticeably better.

RE: Play wii through Vaio Tv tuner? by M73A on 08-19-2008 at 06:12 PM

ive got an rf adapter now, lol. its REALLY annoying, the picture is bareable, but its bad enough to make me consider getting an s-video lead....

i dont know if anyone can help me out with this problem, ive tuned in the channel on WMC, it works, i can see the wii menu. BUT it is delayed, i move the wii mote, a few seconds later it will move on screen. wtf is that all about?! please help :(