Shoutbox

Nintendo DS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Nintendo DS (/showthread.php?tid=85425)

Nintendo DS by djdannyp on 08-15-2008 at 11:22 PM

Hey, just wanted to get your opinions on something (or start another console war!)

I've had my PSP since launch day, but lately I've hardly bought anything for it...latest thing I bought was FM 2008 and that was only cos my laptop was bust and i had to kill time at uni while other people finished their exams

No recept PSP games have seemed to grab me, plus I've got a PS3 so that's what I use for my serious gaming

So I'm considering trading in the PSP and the games I have left (Fight Night Round 3, FM 2008, Jackass the game, NFL Street 2:Underground and World Championship Snooker 2007) and getting a DS Lite and some things like Brain Training, Trauma Centre, Guitar Hero and then stuff like Sudoku/Crossword puzzle ones and a Driving Theory one

Does anyone here have a DS Lite or have experience on one?  What would you recommonend?

Basically I'm not looking for the DS to be a hardcore gaming machine, that's what the PS3 is for given that I've already completed about 15 games and am eagerly anticipating COD5, Resistance 2, Prince of Persia, etc

RE: Nintendo DS by Eljay on 08-15-2008 at 11:27 PM

I would recommend pirating games, yarrrr. :P

RE: Nintendo DS by Willz on 08-16-2008 at 12:00 AM

DS, just because statistically speaking you are more likely to have a couple of friends with one than a psp. It may not have the power of the psp but the games are different and the touch screen does add some cool gameplay.

Download play is one of the best reasons to get a ds. If you want to play multiplayer with someone on a particular game you don't have to have two copies of the game (in most cases anyway). You can just download a temporary copy while you play your friend. Once you are done it deletes itself.

I have a DS-lite myself. I don't really play it that much anymore with work and all. But at uni it brought hours of entertainment.

Bomberman, Mariokart, Metroid Prime Hunters, Clubhouse games etc

(oh yeah and you can pirate like Eljay said. Just look up R4DS, it lets you play movies and music on your ds too.)

RE: Nintendo DS by M73A on 08-16-2008 at 12:21 AM

r4 cards are so cheap on amazon nowadays :O
buy one for sure!

RE: Nintendo DS by prashker on 08-16-2008 at 12:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
I would recommend pirating games, yarrrr. :P
Ofcourse, R4 + a 4GB MicroSD card and you'll be set :)
RE: Nintendo DS by Nathan on 08-16-2008 at 12:41 AM

Guitar heroes for the DS is awesome! I nicked it off my sister, it's really good fun - and the guitar duels are ace

RE: Nintendo DS by ipab on 08-16-2008 at 12:50 AM

To be honest, the graphics on the ds suck. Depends on what you are looking for a handheld really... if you are into playing a lot not so mainstream games, then I would go for the ds. I would also go for the ds if you are looking for a more multiplayer option.

If you plan on playing any action sort of games, I would probably go back to the psp as the ds sucks for games suck as that. I own a ds like and I would say that an R4ds is probably the best purchase that I have made for it. I lets me weed out the crap from the awesome.

Mario Kart is pretty awesome for ds. So is Metroid and Bomberman and Zelda. Essentially, those are all the games that I play on a regular basis. Oh if you are into puzzle games, the ds has a shitload of them. I would say that the most awesome one so far is Professor Leighton and the Curious Village.

RE: Nintendo DS by Wally on 08-16-2008 at 01:51 AM

Why would you buy a DS when the psp has limitless possiblities one being emulaters like snes, nintendo 64,sega,FBA ... the list goes on. also you can have custom made software on it. And why would you buy games when you can easy download the iso and put it strait on your psp card. It is easier to and cheaper to get your psp done than DS.

the only thing you can do with a DS is put DS and GBA roms which i find pointless seeing you can already put gba roms on the psp. and putting music? why would you want to do that iv heard music on the ds it sucks to be honest.

If you do end up getting a DS get a Supercard not an R4 i find them better. But this is just my oppinion offcoures. :P

RE: Nintendo DS by Chrono on 08-16-2008 at 02:47 AM

As stated before, if you get a DS, buy a flash card (R4DS is a good one) so you can *cough* download games :P.

i own one and im quite happy with it. I was gonna buy a psp, but by the time, i had a PS2 and you could find pretty much every PSP game on the PS2 :P.

Graphics are worse, so if that matters for you, you may not be happy at all (although they ain't THAT bad, just check out some videos on youtube and see for yourself :P). i prefer gameplay over graphics so that's ok with me, and there are A LOT of great-fun games :)

[fanboy]
(Plus you can play the final fantasy 4 remake, which is awesome :D)
[/fanboy]

quote:
Originally posted by wally
Why would you buy a DS when the psp has limitless possiblities one being emulaters like snes, nintendo 64,sega,FBA ... the list goes on. also you can have custom made software on it.
You can put homebrew on the ds too, and there are some emulators, although they dont work as good as you may want :P
quote:
And why would you buy games when you can easy download the iso and put it strait on your psp card. It is easier to and cheaper to get your psp done than DS.
You can download games for the ds too, not to mention that they are only  128mb at most :O. So if you have a 2gb Micro sd card (which costs 10 bucks or so), you can have about 20 games in your card, way better than the psp :P.

quote:
and putting music? why would you want to do that iv heard music on the ds it sucks to be honest.
Not if you use headphones :P Although i wouldn't use the DS for music, it's kinda pointles as most of us have an mp3 player :P

As for the supercard, yeah, it's good, but i've never had a problem with my R4, and 3 friends of mine own a DS with an R4 too, that's why i reccomend it.
RE: Nintendo DS by Jarrod on 08-16-2008 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wally
psp has limitless possiblities one being emulaters like snes, nintendo 64,sega,FBA
the speed when playing a n64 game on a psp is toucher it runs at like 1 frame a minute by the time you finish the game on it the ds will be 1000 000 times better and no longer called a ds
RE: Nintendo DS by Eljay on 08-16-2008 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
[fanboy]
(Plus you can play the final fantasy 4 remake, which is awesome :D)
[/fanboy]

Chrono Trigger remake coming soon \o/ :P

Anyway, the DS is much better than the PSP imo. I'm always playing stuff on my DS, but all I use my PSP for nowadays is playing my old PS1 collection (which basically consists of just Final Fantasy games :D)

And for people who complain about the graphics being inferior, you are not worthy.
RE: Nintendo DS by absorbation on 08-16-2008 at 10:32 AM

I would say get one, but the only thing is, Nintendo looks like they will release their next-gen hand-held soon. Rumour has it that it is already completed, but not in manufacturing because of the strong sales of the current DS.

RE: Nintendo DS by Volv on 08-16-2008 at 10:55 AM

Bioware's new Sonic Chronicles for the DS is going to be awesome, like all of Bioware's titles.

RE: Nintendo DS by Vazza on 08-17-2008 at 12:35 AM

I got the DS purely to use it with the Brain training games (sad I know) and only problems I've had with it is it recognising my handwriting and voice (but seems to be a flaw with the DS that it doesn't pick up the scots dialects)

Do have another couple of games including Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games, the obligatory Pokemon Diamond (which has vanished at the moment) and Final Fantasy III, but is mainly the brain training I use to try get the brain up to scratch (and at least it comes complete with Suduko puzzles too :D) Patiently awaiting the arrival of Spore on it :D

Good for passing the two hour bus journey to Uni three days a week :p

RE: Nintendo DS by prashker on 08-17-2008 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Bioware's new Sonic Chronicles for the DS is going to be awesome, like all of Bioware's titles.
agreed :drool:, I loved the video previews so far!
RE: Nintendo DS by user27089 on 08-17-2008 at 09:04 AM

The PSP is good, but it's far too serious, the DS is so much fun it's unbelievable. I used to be such a psp fanboy, but after using both loads, you realise how amazing the DS is.

It's sticking to it's roots and it really does work...

RE: Nintendo DS by Nathan on 08-17-2008 at 10:43 AM

I x4 Traxor. Guitarhero is out of this world it's so fucking awesome, I swear I will nick this ds from my sister.. and keep it :P

RE: Nintendo DS by andrewdodd13 on 08-17-2008 at 12:10 PM

Get an EEE PC.

Nah, kidding. (Well, not really, but kidding in the sense it's not a console). I have a PSP but I'd probably choose a DS, just because thanks to seriously rampant piracy the PSP's new games list is suffering.

In all honesty, I'm not that much a fan of handhelds. I had a GBC and the only games I ever had for it were Pokémon Blue & Yellow.

While the remakes of FF4 and Chrono Trigger look nice, I've played both games through like five times, so I would lose interest too quickly.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but new games just aren't appealing to me any more.

RE: Nintendo DS by Anubis on 08-17-2008 at 12:53 PM

I have a DS and I don't think I've played a handheld so much since the glory days of the GameBoy! There's a lot of decent games out there that you can play again and again. For example, Mario Kart and Tetris.