Shoutbox

Hard Drive Failure - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hard Drive Failure (/showthread.php?tid=85443)

Hard Drive Failure by andrewdodd13 on 08-16-2008 at 10:51 PM

So, like 2 months ago I treated myself to a Samsung HD501LJ - 500GB 7200RPM with a decent cache.

It arrived, I divided up my HD (250gb allocated to NTFS partition, rest left blank for the moment) and install XP X64. All good.

Today, I decided to start using the other 250gb. Bad idea. It seems the 3rd platter is dead - when you try to access it it makes a dodgy clicking noise (almost as if the head is kicking a screw about inside the drive), hangs for a second, then accesses the data.

I'm pretty damned paranoid about it now, so I thought "warranty replacement" plx.

Except... Samsung's website doesn't seem to work at all in Firefox, or correctly in IE7. And there's no contact e-mail.

So I'm going to have to phone them. I hate phones.

Oh well. At least my new 20G EEE 901 has solid state...

RE: Hard Drive Failure by Menthix on 08-16-2008 at 11:04 PM

Samsung site seems fine in FF for me, but it sends me to the regional site, so. But i doubt their RMA site fails in both browsers, they would be getting complaints pretty quickly as many companies use these kind of sites daily.

You can probably RMA it trough the shop you bought it at too.

RE: RE: Hard Drive Failure by andrewdodd13 on 08-16-2008 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Samsung site seems fine in FF for me, but it sends me to the regional site, so. But i doubt their RMA site fails in both browsers, they would be getting complaints pretty quickly as many companies use these kind of sites daily.

You can probably RMA it trough the shop you bought it at too.
Perhaps it was just flaky this morning, but when you submit a ticket in IE7 it says "Please wait submitting" then does nothing.

I've heard evil things about EBuyer's RMA system for packages that have been in use. Phoning Samsung is my best option, I just don't want to. :P