Shoutbox

Scam or Phishing deletion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Scam or Phishing deletion (/showthread.php?tid=85463)

Scam or Phishing deletion by hockeyrick on 08-18-2008 at 11:09 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion how to screen/delete automatically the messages that crop up when you have your messenger open?
I am sure all of you out there get the same stuff I do, Who has blocked you, check this site for my new pics, blah, blah!
I block them as they come up, but is there  a better/effecient way than to do it one by one?

any suggestions would be helpful

RE: Scam or Phishing deletion by Menthix on 08-18-2008 at 11:46 AM

Don't add people infected with viruses to your contactlist? I maybe had 2 or 3 max in the last half year.

RE: Scam or Phishing deletion by CookieRevised on 08-18-2008 at 05:25 PM

Instead of blocking them, why don't explain to them that they have been a victim of a phising site?

In the end, explaining that they are a victim of phising will help you too. Because that is the only way to stop these spam messages! Otherwise the phising will simply keep on spreading to other people who fall for those sites.

Also note that in 99,9999% of the time, those people don't even know they are sending out spam messages!!

So, instead of blocking those people, tell them they are victimized and that they need to change their password as soon as possible. And, last but not least, report the link you got to the Messenger support team! This is also highly important.

Thus:
1) Explain to the contact that they are a victim of phising.
2) Tell the contact to change their password immediatly.
3) Report the link/message to Messenger abuse support

All this will not only help you, but will help other people too. Simply blocking the contact will not help anybody.

;)

RE: Scam or Phishing deletion by Menthix on 08-18-2008 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So, instead of blocking those people, tell them they are victimized and that they need to change their password as soon as possible. This will not only help you, but will help other people too.
I agree, but from own experience the infected person usually wont receive messages. Either the messages aren't received at all, or the messages are sent to the bot which hijacked the account. So if you don't receive a human answer, try emailing or reaching them at an alternative method.