Shoutbox

What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? (/showthread.php?tid=85472)

What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by KazLuvsTwilight on 08-18-2008 at 04:33 PM

Please Tell x

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by MeEtc on 08-18-2008 at 04:36 PM

eh? care to explain what this twilight saga even is?

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by KazLuvsTwilight on 08-18-2008 at 04:39 PM

Consists of 4 books: Twilight, New Moon, Eclispe and Breaking Dawn...all written by Stephenie Meyer.
It's all of a sudden become a huge hit, with the movie 'Twilight' coming out this November / December in cinemas across the world.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Ezra on 08-18-2008 at 04:43 PM

The Twilight Zone is amazing!

Don't know about that book you mentioned tho, never heard of it :P

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by user27089 on 08-18-2008 at 05:05 PM

It sounds pretty good to be honest, I might check it out some time. I'm reading My Booky Wook again first though, for some light-hearted reading :).

It's won a load of awards:

• A New York Times Editor's Choice
  • A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year
  • An Amazon.com "Best Book of the Decade...So Far"
  • A Teen People "Hot List" pick
  • An American Library Association "Top Ten Best Book for Young Adults" and "Top Ten Books for Reluctant Readers"
  • Translation into 20 languages
  • A New York Times Best Seller

Source: Wiki
RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by vaccination on 08-18-2008 at 05:11 PM

I'm reading Bill Bryson, Mother tongue for English Language atm ;o

Edit: Also, a friend tells me those Twilight books are poorly written and not very good in general. *winks at friend ;]*

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by KazLuvsTwilight on 08-18-2008 at 05:27 PM

i wouldn't say it's poorly written, it's been said that it will become more popular than the harry potter series.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Voldemort on 08-18-2008 at 08:47 PM

it won't become as popular as HP, sorry, four books and it isn't as big as HP was when GoF came out.

also, the books are mainly aimed at girls and are very girly.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by andrewdodd13 on 08-18-2008 at 09:42 PM

So it's like the Lestat series but more modern?

Heh. I know a girl who is in love with Lestat. I then clicked the wiki link to see that the main character is Edward Cullen, who this girl has recently told me she is also in love with.

So yeah, /agree Voldemort

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Voldemort on 08-18-2008 at 10:28 PM

ed is a vampire, and i've heard "i'm in love with edward" a few times already...

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Lou on 08-19-2008 at 12:11 AM

A friend of mine got on messenger the other day and was talking about this very same series. I had quite a laugh when she pulled the argument of it being as big as HP.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Tasha on 08-19-2008 at 08:33 AM

I was reading a bunch of hilarious arguments yesterday for it being bigger than HP. Things like how Stephenie Meyer released all books in 2-3 years, whereas it took JKR way longer than that to release all the HP series. Another argument was that Stephenie Meyer uses "he exclaimed", "she murmured", "she yelled", "he screamed" for speech whilst JKR uses "he said", "she said" for a lot of the speech. In my opinion, JKR only needs to use "he said", "she said" because the way it's being said comes across in the way the speech is written.

Anyway, I've not read the books through. I was a little interested when I heard about them and checked out the plot on Wiki, and it didn't catch my attention. Then I kept reading everywhere "I love Edward Cullen", "I'm gonna marry Edward Cullen", "Edward Cullen is my husband" and then all the arguments that ensue over that and I just thought okay, seriously?

I've read snippets, taster chapters and whatever, and to be quite honest, I've seen better written fanfictions. The plot, to me, is just boring and the writing isn't that good.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by segosa on 08-19-2008 at 08:55 AM

when I was young I used to read The Saga of Darren Shan which I found to be really good (at that age). I never got around to finishing all the books though, I had the first three books in paper form and I read about 3 more that I downloaded, but then for some reason stopped reading halfway through one of them and never really read any more, which is a shame.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by KazLuvsTwilight on 08-19-2008 at 10:04 AM

my sister has read the Darren Shan saga and she enjoyed it. I read one of his books and thought that it was a very interesting read.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Spunky on 08-19-2008 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
when I was young I used to read The Saga of Darren Shan which I found to be really good (at that age). I never got around to finishing all the books though, I had the first three books in paper form and I read about 3 more that I downloaded, but then for some reason stopped reading halfway through one of them and never really read any more, which is a shame.

Good books, read them all (They do seem to "recap" previous books quite a bit though). The other series of books he's releasing are supposedly quite good (according to my ex)
RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Coastie on 08-22-2008 at 06:24 PM

Easily one of the best series i have ever read...but i have to admit i just got back from being out to sea for 2 months so i havent had a chance to get the latest in the series...but i love the first three, it was one of those things where i just couldnt put the books down til i was done...my parents like that i read and all, but they hate when i get like that cause i used to lock myself in my room all day til i was done with one book, then grab the next in the series and do it again...haha

but yes

amazing books

highly reccomend them for anyone that likes vamps! haha

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Vazza on 08-23-2008 at 11:31 PM

Decided to look into this on monday when I was supposed to be buying Uni books (well I did that too :p) and have to say, after reading the first chapter of the first book...it didn't enthral me at all, and to be honest I don't see what the fuss is about.

Seen the trailer for the film too and it just looks like something you would see on the TV.

Nope, give me a Torchwood/Doctor Who tie in any day (especially if it happens to be read by John Barrowman :drool:) Or a Transformers book just so I can admire the artwork :p (even though I've probably previewed it on dA)

* Vazza goes back to reading Chicken Soup for the Nurse's Soul: Second Dose

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Rik on 08-25-2008 at 10:43 AM

I've heard about the books...and it's not for me :P
I may wach the movie and hope it's better than the book...
Also if you want to read it: http://shinga.livejournal.com/478415.html pretty funny version :zippy:

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by WildestHeart on 08-25-2008 at 05:09 PM

Coastie, I do the same thing. If i have a book I'm super into, I'll read all day long until I finish it or pass out from fatigue :]

I haven't read the Twilight series yet, but my sister adores them. I'll probably check them out if I can ever borrow them from her. Everyone that reads them seems to like them really well.

A little random, but another series that I've really enjoyed is the Bloody Jack Series by L.A. Meyer. It has a good adventurous story line and isn't quite as girly as the Twilight series seems to be.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Coastie on 08-25-2008 at 05:12 PM

HEY! Vampires and werewolves are not girly! Twilight rocks!

i'm not gay, i promise

lol

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by WildestHeart on 08-25-2008 at 05:16 PM

Now, why don't I believe you? :]
Haha, I just think the whole "Oh, he loves me but he can't get too close because I'm too much of a temptation for him, forbidden love, how romantic" (I almost typed forbitten, that would be ironic!) kind of thing is a little too girly for my taste.
Bloody Jack is better, at least in my opinion.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by marissa on 08-26-2008 at 05:43 AM

i love twilight! i know i missed the band wagon when it first arrived but it's come around again with this last book and i hopped on!
i'm only on the third book now, but it's sooo good :) Jacob just kissed Bella and i wanna pa-uke! hahah.

what can i say? you get really into them! for a girl anyway...
but when you explain the book, of course it sounds stupid. and when they mention "my best friend is a werewolf" and "my vampire boyfriend" in the book it just takes you away from the actual story and you're like - why am i reading this crappola? right? cause it sounds lame! but i think it's well written enough that it keeps you reading. she's written it so you connect with the charcters so you get really into the book! i dont read harry potter and all those crap ass books. this is just my type. a bit of reality mixed with the holysmokesvampiresandwerewolves! a girl graduating highschool just relates to me more than witches going to a fake school. :^) and harry potter is so OLD anyway :p moove on haha :)

wee. actually. gonna go read!

edit: AND oh yeah!! since harry potter wanted to wait for the summer now to release the movie (even though transformers 2 is coming out - WHAT ARE YOU THINKING RIGHT) that means twilight has moved up to november! guess whos excited!! :)

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by WildestHeart on 08-28-2008 at 02:12 AM

I will probably change my mind on the whole matter of the books after I read them and will want to take back all my words about them being too girly and whatnot. I'm easily entertained and easily pleased. I just haven't read them yet because my sister's too protective of her collection :] And yeah, I never read the Harry Potter books either, I just watch the movies whenever they come on television (though I do really enjoy the movies!).

Who knows, maybe this forbitten love will be my new favorite obsession! :]
But Bloody Jack will always have a place in my heart. Has anyone else ever heard of those? They're fantastic! The first few are a little hard because of age difference between myself and the character, but she grows up throughout the books so the distance isn't anything terrible by the third (and even with the difference, they're really enjoyable stories, you can't help but fall in love with little Mary Jacky Faber and root for her and her friends on her crazy adventures. Honestly, I wish I was her sometimes!).

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by NeSsiKa on 10-03-2008 at 12:11 AM

OMFG. I LOVE IT! I CAN'T WAIT TO GO SEE THE MOVIE IN NOV.!!! <3

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by user44571 on 10-04-2008 at 02:53 PM

If you hand me a match, I'll show you what I think of Twilight.

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Rockstar on 10-10-2008 at 05:28 PM

TWILIGHT IS THE SHMEX! <333

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by Rockstar on 10-11-2008 at 03:18 AM

arent some people here too old too like twilight?

RE: What do you think of the ''Twilight'' saga? by marissa on 10-11-2008 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rockstar
arent some people here too old too like twilight?
age has nothing to do with it. you grow with the books i guess. i read twilight this year and i related it to myself a few years ago, but in breaking dawn as the main characters age i can still relate it to me now.

people from 11 to friggin grandmas read this series. it's not like we're reading a childrens book