Shoutbox

Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) (/showthread.php?tid=85536)

Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 04:49 PM

Is there anyway to do this? sometimes I get very confused with which live account I have open.

I want to change the taskbar name. Where it says (Windows Live Messenger) to my name or my company's name. Is this possible?

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Basilis on 08-22-2008 at 06:04 PM

It is possible but not with Plus! Actually, this is not the best place to say this but you need MessengerDiscovery to change the caption of the taskbar button. :)

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 06:07 PM

ok thanks, but will it conflict with Plus! by any chance?

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Basilis on 08-22-2008 at 06:09 PM

No. You can use it without any confliction with Messenger Plus!

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 06:12 PM

thanks ! I appreciate it =D

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by bigb88 on 08-22-2008 at 07:53 PM

MessengerDiscovery if u have 2 msn's open and try to name em it will do the same name for both so that will not work, why cause matt cant program anything half decent

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Spunky on 08-22-2008 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
MessengerDiscovery if u have 2 msn's open and try to name em it will do the same name for both so that will not work, why cause matt cant program anything half decent

Wheres your messenger add-on again? ;)
RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by bigb88 on 08-22-2008 at 08:04 PM

wow thats really a comeback u want a award for that? or u matts new found lover. lol im sayin that crap he had sucks and the world knows that anyways it will work but if he has 2 msn's open dont think it will work so u can have one sayin work msn an other sayin home msn cuz yea the programming sucks

RE: RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 08:08 PM

quote:
wow thats really a comeback u want a award for that? or u matts new found lover. lol im sayin that crap he had sucks and the world knows that anyways it will work but if he has 2 msn's open dont think it will work so u can have one sayin work msn an other sayin home msn cuz yea the programming sucks

yea I just tried that and it didn't work =/

kind of upset now because I thought I had found the answer.. :'(
RE: RE: RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Dex Luther on 08-22-2008 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carcrazybraz
quote:

Make a copy of your MSN folder before you change the title.
Create a short cut to that copy and name it Home or what ever
Change the title with Discovery.

Using both sort cuts to open the two versions of WLM might work. Depending on what Discovery actually does.

Or you can use discovery to change the title to Home, make a copy, and then change the title of the first one again to Work. That way you'll have one labeled Home and one labeled work.

No guarantees this will work though. Just a hunch.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:
quote:

Using both sort cuts to open the two versions of WLM might work. Depending on what Discovery actually does.

Or you can use discovery to change the title to Home, make a copy, and then change the title of the first one again to Work. That way you'll have one labeled Home and one labeled work.

worked perfectly !!! thanks for the idea.. :D
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Dex Luther on 08-22-2008 at 08:27 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I R God
RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by Carcrazybraz on 08-22-2008 at 08:28 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I R God

for a couple minutes :(

RE: Changing Windows Live Messenger (taskbar name) by matty on 08-22-2008 at 09:37 PM

Or if he has Messenger Plus! Live a script can certainly do this depending on the current signed in user email.

code:
var oEmails = {
                'email1@hotmail.com' : 'the new name',
                'email2@hotmail.com' : 'another new name'
               }
function OnEvent_ContactListWndCreated() {
    var oTitle = Interop.Allocate(oEmails[Messenger.MyEmail].length*2+2);
    Interop.Call('user32', 'SetWindowText', Messenger.ContactListWndHandle, oTitle.DataPtr);
}