Shoutbox

Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account (/showthread.php?tid=85585)

Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-25-2008 at 01:56 AM

Is there a way to completely deactivate MP when logging to a particular account or only activating it when logging to a particular account?

Thank you

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 08-25-2008 at 03:06 AM

No, that is not possible due to the way Plus! must be loaded (before anyone signs in).

But you can start up Messenger without Plus! being attached by using the command line parameter /PlusEnabled=0.

Thus instead of starting Messenger like you always do, you can type in the Run box (or make a shortcut):

"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /PlusEnabled=0

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-25-2008 at 03:50 PM

How can I make the shortcut?

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by prashker on 08-25-2008 at 03:54 PM

Right click a unoccupied space space on the desktop or in a folder -> New -> Shortcut -> Browse to the current location of msnmsgr (most likely C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger), then affix the /PlusEnabled=0 (after the quotation marks) at the end as CookieRevised said

[Image: attachment.php?pid=923947]

Alternatively you can go to your messenger folder and right click msnmsgr.exe -> Create Shortcut...right click that -> properties, and in "Target", after the quotation marks add /PlusEnabled=0.

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-25-2008 at 09:55 PM

Thanks for your help :D

I tried it in the Run box and it didn't work. It opened Messenger, but when I logged in, MP was still there.

What could have happened :S?

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by prashker on 08-25-2008 at 10:17 PM

Did you include the quotation marks for the location to the .exe and the /PlusEnabled=0 after?

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by eldis on 08-26-2008 at 10:34 AM

Is it possible to select which scripts are used for different Live accounts? I want to use the rss2nutz-script to update my status message but whenever my girlfriend logs on to her account on my computer her status message is also updated. Any workarounds?

Even better would be to have totally different MP!L settings for different Live accounts.

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 12:05 PM

Plus has some global settings and some personal settings.

The global settings are the same for each account. That is because of the way those options work. The other options are already saved and used per account.

Which scripts are installed and running are global settings. There is no other way since scripts are started even before someone logs in into Messenger.

However, the scripts themselfs could provide options per account and that is also what is recommended to the script developpers; to save the script options per account and not globally. However, Plus! can not force this. So if some script creator decides to ignore accounts then there is not much you can do about it.

The only thing left to do is to alter the script yourself and make it that it will not perform its function if a certain account logs in. For some scripts this modification is easy, for other scripts it requires a lot of sometimes advanced editing.

RE: RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-26-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Did you include the quotation marks for the location to the .exe and the /PlusEnabled=0 after?

Theorically if I copy/pasted that line as is, in the Run box and pressed enter, and then login into messenger, I shouldn´t suppose to see the MP icons nor its submenu, right?... cause after that they still appeared :S.
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 06:31 PM

no you shouldn't see any trace of Plus!, but only if that path (C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe) is exactly the same with you.

Make sure you have the latest Plus! version.

RE: RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Vilkku on 08-26-2008 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
no you shouldn't see any trace of Plus!, but only if that path (C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe) is exactly the same with you.

Make sure you have the latest Plus! version.
Also be sure that msnmsgr.exe is not already running.
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-26-2008 at 08:28 PM

I didn't have the latest version, but now I do.

I opened the Run box and I literally typed...

"C:\Archivos de programa\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /PlusEnabled=0

That's the path to Live Messenger in my case. I pressed enter.

The login window poped out. I activated my account. When it finished loging in, there they were: the MP icons, submenus, everything :S

Could it have to do with having everything installed in spanish: Windows, Live Messenger, Messenger Plus...?

Could it have to do with having Windows XP instead of Vista?

Maybe I don't have the proper version of Live Messenger for the command to work?

I'm lost, what do you think :S?

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Spunky on 08-26-2008 at 08:37 PM

The parameter is read by Messenger Plus! Live if I remember correctly so the language of WLM and the OS should have no effect as far as I know. It may be a bug in Plus! as I don't know many people that use that parameter. The language shouldn't really be a factor either :s

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Voldemort on 08-26-2008 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gerardo
Could it have to do with having everything installed in spanish: Windows, Live Messenger, Messenger Plus...?
nope
quote:
Could it have to do with having Windows XP instead of Vista?
no
quote:
Maybe I don't have the proper version of Live Messenger for the command to work?
nope, it relies on plus!

are you sure you tried that exact command?
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-26-2008 at 08:51 PM

Have any of you tried the command lately?

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Voldemort on 08-26-2008 at 08:58 PM

yes, and it works.

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by prashker on 08-26-2008 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
yes, and it works.
same here
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 10:02 PM

and... same here...

So it sounds like some (rare) bug?. Maybe make a thread about it in the "bug reports" subforum.

quote:
The login window poped out. I activated my account. When it finished loging in, there they were: the MP icons, submenus, everything (Smilie)
So, to be clear, there was no Plus! menu in the login window? (if you've deactivated the menu, press F10 to show it up)
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Patchou on 08-27-2008 at 04:30 AM

one thing I haven't seen suggested before: make sure you're using the latest version of Plus! available on the site. This command line was added in one of the recent releases.

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 07:17 AM

but but but but... I did Patchou, here... ;)

And he replied he hadn't the latest version before, but now he has... and it still does not work.

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 08-27-2008 at 02:44 PM

Ok, this, I think, will be one of my last ideas to confirm that it isn't me doing something wrong.

Could one of you please attach the shortcut already made, with the path and the command so I would only have to download it and doble click it. If that doesn't work, I suppose then that it is a bug problem and it isn't me.

Thank you for all your help :)

I wanted to thank you all, it seems that I was doing something wrong.

I was logging out of my account, but I didn't close the program in the context menu. So when I tried the shortcut, it reopened the same window which already had MP activated.

Now that I loged out, closed the window through the context menu and used the shorcut, everything worked perfectly :D

THANK YOU!

One question: is it posible to create some sort of shortcut, that first closes every Messenger window before opening it again without MP? :)
RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by CookieRevised on 09-02-2008 at 04:51 AM

No, not with just only the shortcut.

But you could create a small batch file or a windows script which closes all Messenger clients prior to open a new Messenger client. Use this batch/script as the "shortcut".

----

However, there is another, maybe easier method. Simply patch Messenger to allow for polygamy.

Now, Messenger Plus! has also an option for polygamy/multi-msn (its a soft-patch, meaning the change is done in memory), but since you're going to run Messenger without Plus!, you can't use that option and thus you need to hard-patch Messenger instead (meaning the change is done on the actual physical file on your hard disk). This can be done with A-Patch (the polygamy/multi-msn patch is on the last options page).

Once you've hard-patched Messenger, you can use the shortcut you already have to launch Messenger without Plus!, and without closing the previous instances (nomatter if Plus! is attached to them or not)...

;)

RE: Deactivate Messenger Plus in one account by Gerardo on 09-05-2008 at 02:09 PM

THANKS CR!

I decided to just close messenger the manual way everytime I'm done using MP. Boy... now I have to move the cursor a few extra milimeters each time and... and... press the mouse button two more times than usual :'(

:P

Thanks all of you for your help :)