Shoutbox

What's wrong with this laptop? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What's wrong with this laptop? (/showthread.php?tid=85596)

What's wrong with this laptop? by Stigmata on 08-25-2008 at 05:33 PM

Been looking around at laptops and the such and I can't understand why this laptop has such a low price when has much better chip speed, hard drive size and mem size then many others I've looked at?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-1613.aspx

Built in graphics is the only thing that sticks out at me?

or am I missing something terribly wrong with it?

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by user35870 on 08-25-2008 at 05:51 PM

Everything looks ok to me, Dell seem to be doing some pretty good laptops at the minute for good prices.

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Menthix on 08-25-2008 at 06:13 PM

It's not that much different compared to other models in the same price range. Laptops in general seem to be getting down in price last couple of months.

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by albert on 08-25-2008 at 06:21 PM

''The name tag''.
Isn't that the line that dell is dropping soon?

I put '''' since it's not really anything wrong..

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Voldemort on 08-25-2008 at 07:36 PM

investigate a bit, dell might be really dropping the inspiron line for their new line they just released, but i dunno :P

RE: RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Phillip on 08-25-2008 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
investigate a bit, dell might be really dropping the inspiron line for their new line they just released, but i dunno :P
Something along those lines. I know you can pick up their 24" monitors for $200 now. There is also the 1920x1080 24" of theirs going for $150. They are making way for the newer models.
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Stigmata on 08-27-2008 at 10:52 AM

Also something funny... dell website, same price laptop but compare the stats

Dell.co.uk - Inspiron 1525

Processor:
Tesco - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
Dell - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 (1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)

RAM:
Tesco - 3GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Dell - 2GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Hard Drive Size:
Tesco - 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
Dell - 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Price:
Tesco - £429
Dell - £429

:/

BLAH.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
It's not that much different compared to other models in the same price range. Laptops in general seem to be getting down in price last couple of months.

Compared to anoter laptop in the same price bracket:
http://direct.tesco.com/compare/?c=204-6256+204-1...1999033%24276.aspx

£20 more for a slightly faster processer, but less ram, less disk space, no built in webcam.

See what I mean?

quote:
Originally posted by albert
''The name tag''.
Isn't that the line that dell is dropping soon?

I put '''' since it's not really anything wrong..

They still show the 1525 adverts on tv though :/
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by absorbation on 08-27-2008 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
They still show the 1525 adverts on tv though :/

That's so they can get rid of the remaining stock, before the new line hits and they can't sell them directly anymore :P.
RE: RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 04:39 PM

quote:
quote:

Compared to anoter laptop in the same price bracket:
http://direct.tesco.com/compare/?c=204-6256+204-1...1999033%24276.aspx

£20 more for a slightly faster processer, but less ram, less disk space, no built in webcam.

See what I mean?
Actually no.... 20 pound more (or less) is nothing, it is still roughly the same price and roughly the same specs.

The price savings from less ram, less disk space and no webcam + the extra 20 pound = difference in price for the slightly faster processor...

It all equals out.
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by wj on 08-27-2008 at 05:05 PM

Just so you know Stig, My mom has that same laptop and it's a bit of a beast, it's huge, heavy, awkward, and just doesn't perform. Just so ya know. Part of the performance issue is more towards the fact she downloads alot of junkware and malware, but, it was still slow when it had a fresh load of XP or Vista on it.

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by user27089 on 08-27-2008 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Just so you know Stig, My mom has that same laptop and it's a bit of a beast, it's huge, heavy, awkward, and just doesn't perform. Just so ya know. Part of the performance issue is more towards the fact she downloads alot of junkware and malware, but, it was still slow when it had a fresh load of XP or Vista on it.

That's actually really helpful, I've been looking at that laptop.

James, it is a nice laptop all in all, but it might be worth spending a few extra quid to get an overall better performing machine (if that makes sense), because as far as I know, Dell are a little bit flimsy, breaking a lot etc, particularly the chargers that come with them. That's why I'm going for a Hewlett Packard instead, because from all of my experience they've always built really durable machines that last years and years.
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Voldemort on 08-27-2008 at 09:29 PM

I've got a dell XPS 1330 and its absolute win, very sturdy and definitely not flimsy in any way (my charger is tiny and it wins too)

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Dell are a little bit flimsy, breaking a lot etc, particularly the chargers that come with them.

RE: RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by andrewdodd13 on 08-27-2008 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I've got a dell XPS 1330 and its absolute win, very sturdy and definitely not flimsy in any way (my charger is tiny and it wins too)
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Dell are a little bit flimsy, breaking a lot etc, particularly the chargers that come with them.

I have two guys in my office who have Dell stuff. One has the top of the range 24" Dell monitors and a Dell laptop, and loves it. One is a student and has a cheap Dell Inspiron and think's it's crap (and I have to admit, it is pretty damned slow. Even my EEE is faster than it in some respects =\). You really do get what you pay for with them apparently.
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Stigmata on 08-28-2008 at 12:08 AM

Anyway, it came today and have been playing on it ever since :)

Don't really know where bulky and heavy came from? I agree some of the dell laptops are quite big, but this is a "Ultra Portable" laptop  and is much lighter than my last laptop.

I've only noticed a little bit of flimsy-ness, and thats only the casing around the screen. But its nothing that would break easily etc :/ Also charger is thin but a bit bricky. Can't see it breaking any time soon.

Speed etc isnt a problem either atm, but I guess its only day 1 :)

RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Menthix on 08-28-2008 at 02:04 AM

quote:
this is a "Ultra Portable" laptop
I wouldn't call 15.4 inch ultra portable in any case, no matter what they weigh. For me ultra portable starts under 14 inch.

The weight is OK, but not really light either.
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by Stigmata on 08-28-2008 at 11:24 AM

quote:
I wouldn't call 15.4 inch ultra portable in any case, no matter what they weigh. For me ultra portable starts under 14 inch.

Thats why I put it in brackets, while I wouldn't call it ultra portable it said it on the box :/
RE: What's wrong with this laptop? by andrewdodd13 on 08-28-2008 at 12:00 PM

Man. Dell should be slapped for calling 15.4" ultra-portable. I have a 15.4" HP, and it is a LOAF. EEE is ultra portable. :)

But if you like it, that's all that matters eh? :)