Shoutbox

HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... (/showthread.php?tid=85613)

HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-26-2008 at 10:07 PM

I have a problem with the message window & input window in MSN Messenger.

They used to show my background, but, with a frosted/translucent effect.

The background has changed to a migrane-inducing plain white :(
My background is still there outside of these the message window.
(See attached file for what it looks like now - I've brushed the conversation out)

It seems to have done this since I used got MSN Messanger up through Firefox via a google search..

How do I change it back so the background is translucent/frosted again?

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by djdannyp on 08-26-2008 at 10:13 PM

click "Backgrounds" on the toolbar of the chat window and then reset it to the default option (or whatever custom option you had before)

RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-26-2008 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
click "Backgrounds" on the toolbar of the chat window and then reset it to the default option (or whatever custom option you had before)
I've tried that already.  I can change the backgrounds, but, the background of the message window remains plain white.... :(
RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JanglyMark
It seems to have done this since I used got MSN Messanger up through Firefox via a google search..
This got nothing todo with it though. The only thing which could have caused this is yourself by changing some setting (like selecting a different background picture or background color).

try:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=924220]

also, always download from an official site, not from some (maybe dodgy) 3rd party... http://get.live.com/messenger/

;)
RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-26-2008 at 11:14 PM

Nope.  I changed nothing before this happened.....unless there is something in Firefox that did so automatically....when I loaded it through Firefox, I didn't get the menus at the top of the screen, nor my background....everything was in white.

The URL I went to is here.... http://webmessenger.msn.com/

As far as I know, I've not got a naughty version...it came with the machine....I've also had an MSN messenger update.

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 11:17 PM

I can assure you that firefox has got nothing todo with it. Only Messenger's own options which nobody but you must set (could have been by accident though).

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-26-2008 at 11:47 PM

I've now tried the background colour thing, as outlined a few posts above....
I must be doing something wrong.
I click on it, and get 16 colours, with white being default colour.
When I click on a colour, the box disappears....and nothing changes.  When I click on the link again, the default colour is still white.

To fill the background of the message window/type window with a darker colour would do for now....although, I would still like to know how to make them transparent again...

RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 02:26 AM

quote:
I've now tried the background colour thing, as outlined a few posts above....
I must be doing something wrong.
I click on it, and get 16 colours, with white being default colour.

This is already strange. You should see 12 colors, not 16.

Can you take a screenshot of this?

quote:
When I click on a colour, the box disappears....and nothing changes.  When I click on the link again, the default colour is still white.
the color scheme of the window should change when you click on a color.

Again, can you take a screenshot of the entire chat window?

quote:

To fill the background of the message window/type window with a darker colour would do for now....although, I would still like to know how to make them transparent again...
You lost me there (well actually already several posts ago, in fact in your first post you already state contradicting things).

What exactly do you want? An opaque white color in the chat area or a transparant chat area showing your background? Since, in your first post you showed a screenshot of what it is now (transparent) and thus what you want to be changed according to some of your later sentences, thus opaque. However in other sentences (like in your last post) you say you want it to be transparent.....

Also note that if you don't select a background, you can not have a transparent color since there is nothing to be shown behind anyways.
RE: RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-27-2008 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

This is already strange. You should see 12 colors, not 16.

Can you take a screenshot of this?
yep.  Screenshot attached.  Again, conversation is blurred out.
It clearly shows 16 colours.

quote:
What exactly do you want? An opaque white color in the chat area or a transparant chat area showing your background?
I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear.

What I ideally want is to get it back to what it was until yeaterday.  That is, for the message window to be transparent showing a frosted version of my background.

However, if I can change the background from solid white to a dark-ish colour, while it wouldn't be ideal, it would be easier on the eyes.

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 04:21 PM

As for the amount of colors: hmmm.. never noticed it until now that you're actually using MSN Messenger, thus not the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.5... In those previous versions you indeed had 16 colors listed there.

As for what you've requested: Well, isn't the screenshot already showing the exact thing you want? The background is showing thru with a frost effect in the chat area of the conversation window...

If you want another background, simply select your choice of background from the background menu. It is the background which dictates what you'll see in the chat area; if the background has some flashy colors, you'll see frosted flashy colors. If the background has a red box in that same place, you'll see a light red (frosted red) color in the chat area.

EDIT: the problem might be that in very early versions, the chat area was always opaque (I need to check this again, it has been way too long). In the newer versions, that area will be half transparant.

And you probably downloaded and installed a newer MSN Messenger version with Firefox.

Unless you make a skin with Messenger Plus!, I don't think you can make that area totally opaque again (unless maybe with some small patch). But I certainly do not recommend downgrading to an earlier version again because of security reasons!!

What is the exact and complete build number of the version you're running now (you can look this up in the about window of Messenger)? And what is your Windows version?

RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-27-2008 at 05:45 PM

quote:
As for what you've requested: Well, isn't the screenshot already showing the exact thing you want? The background is showing thru with a frost effect in the chat area of the conversation window...
Erm...no.  All I am seeing (and have just checked the screenshot) is a solid white background.

quote:
EDIT: the problem might be that in very early versions, the chat area was always opaque
That is true, but, it was working fine until yesterday...

quote:
And you probably downloaded and installed a newer MSN Messenger version with Firefox.
Nope...I didn't click the download button, I simply opened it following the URL I posted above.   I have already checked for new & amended files by date in case this was the problem....

quote:
What is the exact and complete build number of the version you're running now (you can look this up in the about window of Messenger)? And what is your Windows version?
I'm running MSN Messanger 7.0, my Windows is 98SE
RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by Spunky on 08-27-2008 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Erm...no.  All I am seeing (and have just checked the screenshot) is a solid white background.

Erm, it's translucent here, not white. Maybe this all down to a graphics problem?
RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-27-2008 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:

Erm, it's opaque here, not white. Maybe this all down to a graphics problem?
Tried fiddling about with the settings.
If I change the colour scheme to "High Contrast", the message box goes back to opaque.

As soon as I change it back to my preferred setting, Lilac, it goes back to solid white.

Great.

At least I'm on the right path....anyone know what to do next?

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 08-28-2008 at 01:03 AM

ermm.. sorry but the screenshots in this thread very clearly show a transparant chat area where the background of the chat window shows a bit thru, not an opaque white box!!

quote:
quote:
Nope...I didn't click the download button, I simply opened it following the URL I posted above.
Opened what exactly?

quote:
quote:
I'm running MSN Messanger 7.0, my Windows is 98SE
What is the exact and complete build number?

quote:
quote:
I'm sorry, but we see nothing opaque white in any of the screenshots you posted here. :/
(well, except for the conversation text you wiped out)

quote:
At least I'm on the right path....anyone know what to do next?
I'm sorry, but I think you are not yet on any path. There is still some massive confusing as to what you actually want.

opaque = not-transparant, aka solid.
opaque is not a color.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=924364]
click for actual size
RE: RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 08-30-2008 at 05:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

I have, completely by accident, fixed the problem.

I am posting this, both to thank you all, and for future reference in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I don't understand what it going on, but, tried reversing what I did to fix it, to ensure that it was indeed the cause of the problem.

The problem was caused by a completely unrelated program, Chatzilla.

Chatzilla comes with 3 custom skins, 2 white, and one black.  All 3 are harsh....and, as said before, white backgrounds give me headaches.

I am able to replace these with custom skins....so, that's exactly what I did, as soon as I found one online that I liked.

This, then caused MSN Messanger (and my screen shots) to revert back to how they were before.

Again, I don't understand why a completely unrelated program would cause this.

I have attached both skins.

The problematic one is called white.css
The replacement, which solved the problem, is called seamonkey_int_motif.css

Thanks again for all your time.

EDIT : It won't allow me to send *.css files...apologies for that.

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by CookieRevised on 09-05-2008 at 11:05 AM

hmmmm, makes little sense...

But, it still doens't explain why we don't see anything opaque in the screenshots you've posted here, while you do...

Anyways, glad it is solved and thanks for the feedback.

RE: HELP!!! Message window & input window issue.... by JanglyMark on 09-05-2008 at 11:42 AM

quote:
hmmmm, makes little sense...

But, it still doens't explain why we don't see anything opaque in the screenshots you've posted here, while you do...

Anyways, glad it is solved and thanks for the feedback.
No problem.  Since I fixed the problem, the screenshots corrected themselves as well....