Shoutbox

Unicode? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Unicode? (/showthread.php?tid=85638)

Unicode? by SmokingCookie on 08-28-2008 at 04:37 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if the forums are using the Unicode char set.
This is because non-Latin characters are shown in a very weird cmbination of letters, numbers & more..

RE: Unicode? by user35870 on 08-28-2008 at 05:59 PM

Nope, the board doesn't support Unicode.

RE: Unicode? by SmokingCookie on 08-28-2008 at 06:01 PM

I see..

Can't support for Unicode be added?

RE: Unicode? by user35870 on 08-28-2008 at 06:11 PM

The latest version of MyBB supports unicode, not sure if it could be added to this board.

RE: Unicode? by Mike on 08-28-2008 at 08:14 PM

This is probably a long shot, but isn't making it unicode-compatible easy as setting the charset to utf-8 and adjusting the database so that it saves in unicode?

RE: Unicode? by user35870 on 08-29-2008 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike

This is probably a long shot, but isn't making it unicode-compatible easy as setting the charset to utf-8 and adjusting the database so that it saves in unicode?

I believe you need to convert existing data in the database to utf-8, well that's what MyBB 1.2.10 done anyway.

RE: Unicode? by Mike on 08-29-2008 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
quote:

I believe you need to convert existing data in the database to utf-8, well that's what MyBB 1.2.10 done anyway.
Can't you just set the collation to utf8_general_ci?
RE: Unicode? by WDZ on 08-29-2008 at 07:35 PM

quote:
No, you also need to use multibyte-aware string functions everywhere you deal with Unicode strings. And there are probably some other issues I can't think of right now. :p

* WDZ isn't that interested in i18n stuff because he only knows English (a)

quote:
Yeah, I think that's all MyBB does... issues a few ALTER TABLE queries and lets MySQL do all the work.
RE: Unicode? by Lou on 08-29-2008 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
No, you also need to use multibyte-aware string functions everywhere you deal with Unicode strings. And there are probably some other issues I can't think of right now. :p

* WDZ isn't that interested in i18n stuff because he only knows English (a)

quote:
Yeah, I think that's all MyBB does... issues a few ALTER TABLE queries and lets MySQL do all the work.
Another reason to update8-).
RE: Unicode? by WDZ on 08-29-2008 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
But MyBB 1.4's Unicode support is still buggy... it wouldn't let me ban my test user. :sad:
RE: Unicode? by Lou on 08-30-2008 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
But MyBB 1.4's Unicode support is still buggy... it wouldn't let me ban my test user. :sad:
Looking at the bug report, this won't take too long to be fixed. Also, you have fixed the issue yourself, so I don't think that's too much of a problem... :P.