Shoutbox

Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 (/showthread.php?tid=85689)

Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Quantum on 08-31-2008 at 11:54 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/

Well i just heard of the Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 release today. I had a quick look at the fixes and features list. Me not being a fan of IE i thought i should download it and give it a quick look :P

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/

Any comments or opinions?

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Felu on 08-31-2008 at 12:18 PM

Installed it this morning. Crashes way too much :(. Although, a lot smoother and faster than IE7.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by vaccination on 08-31-2008 at 12:30 PM

old

It's an improvement, but it's still really dodgy. Some interesting features being put in though.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by absorbation on 08-31-2008 at 01:30 PM

I can't seem to install it, and I can't be bothered with the hassle now :P.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Eddie on 08-31-2008 at 02:38 PM

Smoother and faster than IE7...has one feature i like which is the Private Browsing feature, otherwise I still do not like Internet Explorer. :P

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by djdannyp on 08-31-2008 at 05:53 PM

* djdannyp downloads

Before I install it (got driven crazy with the first Beta so reverted to IE7 when I got my new computer and reformatted my laptop)..

1. Has it fixed the Google Maps problem? (ie can you look at google maps without it crashing the browser!)

2. Has it fixed the need to always have it set on IE7 compatability mode?

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Thor on 08-31-2008 at 05:56 PM

They've actually improved their CSS support!

[Image: clap.gif]

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Quantum on 08-31-2008 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
* djdannyp downloads

Before I install it (got driven crazy with the first Beta so reverted to IE7 when I got my new computer and reformatted my laptop)..

1. Has it fixed the Google Maps problem? (ie can you look at google maps without it crashing the browser!)

2. Has it fixed the need to always have it set on IE7 compatability mode?

I can use gmaps without it crashing. I guess it's fixed.

As for 2 i think, yes.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by djdannyp on 09-02-2008 at 02:02 PM

Hmm, I've just noticed that links involving "#" such as those on wikipedia don't actually work

can anyone else confirm and suggest possible solution to?

the problem also affects my website :P

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Sunshine on 09-02-2008 at 02:15 PM

Show me a wikipedia page with such links :P

If you believe the fault lies at IE8 b2's rendering and not your coding simply add the following meta tag in the header:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
That way ppl will see your site in IE7 mode. You can/should mention the rendering problem in the public NG too. You might get a solution, else someone can report it on Connect for you.

For those wondering why on one site you see the compatibility button (broken page in address bar) and not on the other: those who use that tag have set the compatibility for you, so the button will not show.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Felu on 09-02-2008 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Hmm, I've just noticed that links involving "#" such as those on wikipedia don't actually work

can anyone else confirm and suggest possible solution to?

the problem also affects my website :P
Hmm interesting bug...

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

Show me a wikipedia page with such links (Smilie)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia  > Click any link in the contents table.

Actually the browser just doesn't scroll the page to the element in case of '# links'.

Edit: '# links' work fine in compatibility view though. I think its IE8 to be blamed.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Mnjul on 09-02-2008 at 02:49 PM

On a 120-DPI system, IE 8 defaults to show pages at 125%, at which scale it lags too much, and I can't find any way to make the default to be 100% (the option in Internet Options -> Advanced doesn't seem to work). :S

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Sunshine on 09-02-2008 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia  > Click any link in the contents table.

Actually the browser just doesn't scroll the page to the element in case of '# links'.

Edit: '# links' work fine in compatibility view though. I think its IE8 to be blamed.
Confirmed, they don't work in IE8b2.
I wouldn't worry about it too much myself and just add that metatag for the time being. Do post it to the NG though (I can submit a bugreport on Connect if wanted).

Mnjul, have you tried to set the zoom at Page > Zoom to 100%?
RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by djdannyp on 09-02-2008 at 03:45 PM

I searched on that newsground and it's already been reported and fixed.  It was due to it not processing page anchors properly (hence why it works in compatability mode)

It was also due to IE8B2 not processing empty elements (hence if you look on this page you'll notice a difference in the menus on the left between IE8 and IE7/compatibility

RE: Internet Explorer 8 BETA 2 by Sunshine on 09-02-2008 at 03:47 PM

quote:
I searched on that newsground and it's already been reported and fixed.  It was due to it not processing page anchors properly (hence why it works in compatability mode)

It was also due to IE8B2 not processing empty elements (hence if you look on this page you'll notice a difference in the menus on the left between IE8 and IE7/compatibility
Ahh ok well then it be fixed in the next build at least. Thanks for the update. For now use the tag to ensure your site renders as should ;)