Shoutbox

Google Chrome - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Google Chrome (/showthread.php?tid=85729)

Google Chrome by Vilkku on 09-02-2008 at 06:43 AM

I guess some of you know that Google Chrome will be released later today. I read the Google comic about it and I got very excited, and I can't wait to use it. Now, I also got curious about the effect this might have in the "browser war". I'm a little afraid that it will take away of the Firefox user share first, before (if at all) having a impact on the IE users. Thoughts?

RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-02-2008 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I guess some of you know that Google Chrome will be released later today. I read the Google comic about it and I got very excited, and I can't wait to use it. Now, I also got curious about the effect this might have in the "browser war". I'm a little afraid that it will take away of the Firefox user share first, before (if at all) having a impact on the IE users. Thoughts?
Most likely it won't have such a big impact unless they suddenly start advertising for it on their homepage. However, I do hope that some of the features are embedded into Firefox. V8 certainly sounds interesting, so does the sandboxing. Oh, and webkit! Wooooooohoo.

Enough of the rant, I don't think it's going to take over anything, but I hope it is going to improve other browsers. Frankly, who can live without their Firefox extensions? :p
RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-02-2008 at 07:20 AM

Doesn't sound too exciting. "Apps" run fine on my current browser (what the hell is the definition of a web app anyway, this sounds just like web 2.0).

RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-02-2008 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Doesn't sound too exciting. "Apps" run fine on my current browser (what the hell is the definition of a web app anyway, this sounds just like web 2.0).
If you read through the comic book, it appears that it's more important to tell what it can do, what's beneath the hood. I'm personally amazed that they've mashed together something with such a focus on the core. However, I am concerned the first impression will be similar to the "Safari for Windows" happening.
RE: Google Chrome by Th3rmal on 09-02-2008 at 08:08 AM

It looks very interesting and promising. I will definitely be checking it out.

RE: Google Chrome by Eddie on 09-02-2008 at 08:50 AM

I will check it out, but i don't think it will knock Firefox off of my default list *-)

RE: Google Chrome by andrewdodd13 on 09-02-2008 at 03:48 PM

I am not sure. I think it looks pretty damned neat, but I will miss my foxmarks.

I definitely agree with the fact that it will probably eat more of Firefox's share than IE's - mainly because most tech savvy people use Firefox, and hence will look at Chrome, rather than the high number of people who are just like "Internet Explorer = The Internet"

RE: Google Chrome by absorbation on 09-02-2008 at 04:09 PM

Looks promising, a new generation of browsers for our modern Internet habits. Of course it will be a while before it can compete with the big boys :P.

RE: Google Chrome by ShawnZ on 09-02-2008 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:
Most likely it won't have such a big impact unless they suddenly start advertising for it on their homepage. However, I do hope that some of the features are embedded into Firefox. V8 certainly sounds interesting, so does the sandboxing. Oh, and webkit! Wooooooohoo.

Enough of the rant, I don't think it's going to take over anything, but I hope it is going to improve other browsers. Frankly, who can live without their Firefox extensions? :p

why would anyone be happy that they're using webkit? :<
RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-02-2008 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
quote:

why would anyone be happy that they're using webkit? :<
Several reasons, but for one, it's a) fast b) powerful and c) open source.
Yeah, the evil browser Safari uses it, but buuu huuuu.
RE: Google Chrome by andrewdodd13 on 09-02-2008 at 04:53 PM

And it also gets 100/100 on Acid3 :O

RE: Google Chrome by Eljay on 09-02-2008 at 06:49 PM

It's out! :P

RE: Google Chrome by ShawnZ on 09-02-2008 at 07:03 PM

[Image: chromeiedifferencespx3.png]

RE: Google Chrome by Matti on 09-02-2008 at 07:08 PM

I love how the design looks in Vista! The glass behind the tabs is awesome! :D

This is going to be a great browser, I'm sure about that! :)

RE: Google Chrome by Quantum on 09-02-2008 at 07:23 PM

They should have a better page than the defult google sorta download page :P

RE: Google Chrome by Oxy on 09-02-2008 at 07:23 PM

I love it.

RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-02-2008 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Then it wouldn't be google.
RE: Google Chrome by djdannyp on 09-02-2008 at 07:30 PM

I love how flash doesn't work in it

* djdannyp goes back to tried and tested IE

RE: Google Chrome by Quantum on 09-02-2008 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Yes it would. Just differant :P
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-02-2008 at 07:34 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes it would. Just differant :P

Also I love it, tis hawt.  Incognito is cool,  browser just generally works really well, and gives you more viewing space which = win.

(miss the dragging features of Fx though ;[)

Oh, task manager thing is naice too.
RE: Google Chrome by absorbation on 09-02-2008 at 07:35 PM

Of course it's still in early stages yet, but the concept has great potential, Google could have a winner, if they add a must have feature.

RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 09-02-2008 at 07:38 PM

I think it's awesome so far, but Windows Live Mail asks you to upgrade to a newer browser; obviously it doesn't recognise chrome yet. There may be a few examples of this that may yet put people off

RE: RE: Google Chrome by andrewdodd13 on 09-02-2008 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
I love how flash doesn't work in it
Err, yes it does? He says, while watching a video on BBC iPlayer?

I love how a text box turns yellow when you type in it... so amazingly good.

AND OH MY GOD YOU CAN RESIZE IT. (the text area field)
RE: Google Chrome by Kenji on 09-02-2008 at 07:54 PM

[Image: New_Tab_-_Google_Chrome_5f8b84efc8794c34...ad67fc.png]

win.

RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-02-2008 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
[Image: New_Tab_-_Google_Chrome_5f8b84efc8794c34...ad67fc.png]

win.
I just love the image of that spy in the upper left corner.
RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-02-2008 at 08:12 PM

That's just like FF's Stealther addon ;p.

RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-02-2008 at 08:18 PM

quote:
That's just like FF's Stealther addon ;p.
And IE 8's stealth mode8-)
RE: Google Chrome by MeEtc on 09-02-2008 at 08:22 PM

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html
try playing the video

EDIT: guess its fixed. It was giving a generic move unavailable message earlier

RE: Google Chrome by Voldemort on 09-02-2008 at 08:24 PM

lolol at people standing behind you

RE: Google Chrome by NiteMare on 09-02-2008 at 08:44 PM

I know I'm downloading it as soon as I get home

RE: Google Chrome by djdannyp on 09-02-2008 at 09:21 PM

Well, it's helped me fix my website so that it works in IE7, IE8 and Google Chrome, lol

It failed to import half of my favourites though :S

It's alright....I'll be sticking with IE though as a permanent option......it'll be fun for tinkering with for a while tho, haha

also, is it just me being silly or is there no "homepage" button

and it seems a bit rubbish that there's no integrated google toolbar......i always use the "image" and "maps" buttons on the google toolbar to go straight to those searches

RE: Google Chrome by Quantum on 09-02-2008 at 09:38 PM

I think the technitions at my school with be using it as it's easy to modify for our "restricted" needs :(

They said they like the look of it  :P

Was it not only revealed today?

RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-02-2008 at 09:48 PM

quote:

Options > Basics > Homepage > "Show Home button on toolbar"
RE: RE: Google Chrome by djdannyp on 09-02-2008 at 09:50 PM

quote:
quote:

now that should really be enabled by default :P

there's minimalist and there's too minimalist in my opinion
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-02-2008 at 10:04 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

now that should really be enabled by default :P

there's minimalist and there's too minimalist in my opinion

Well I never use the home button. I don't even have a homepage, restore last tabs ftw
RE: Google Chrome by Th3rmal on 09-02-2008 at 10:44 PM

Wow :|
Its very nice. I love incognito mode and also the crash control concept. This might take over FF as my default so long as there are some nice add-ons

RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 09-02-2008 at 11:38 PM

Can't set wallpaper from browser? Not a major drawback, but a bit annoying

RE: Google Chrome by NiteMare on 09-03-2008 at 03:25 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=925457]
haha, typical google humor:P

RE: Google Chrome by Chrono on 09-03-2008 at 03:39 AM

now you'll be thinking of me while browsing the web (H)

RE: Google Chrome by prashker on 09-03-2008 at 03:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
now you'll be thinking of me while browsing the web (H)
which is why I won't be using it (h)
RE: Google Chrome by NiteMare on 09-03-2008 at 03:59 AM

well first impressions are good, it has defiantly sped up my browsing experience, it beat out both IE and firefox

RE: Google Chrome by Eddie on 09-03-2008 at 07:02 AM

I quite like it, i cannot seem to find a home button like that of on IE and Firefox though *-)

EDIT: Nevermind :) I like it a lot. Maybe a bit too white for my liking though.

RE: Google Chrome by Vilkku on 09-03-2008 at 07:28 AM

So, I finally got the time to play around with Chrome a bit, and I like what I'm seeing so far. The thing that annoys me the most at the moment is that there isn't a way (that I'm aware of) to show the bookmarks-menu without showing the damn bookmarks-toolbar. A integration like the home and refresh buttons, without adding the extra toolbar, would be awesome. I'm hoping that Firefox extension developers hop on and make Chrome-versions, and that new developers will also join and create great extensions (Adblock Plus, anyone?).

V8 is also awesome, and I bet other browser developers will start using it in their browsers. Here's a little benchmark.

This post has been posted from an enlarged textbox.

RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-03-2008 at 08:11 AM

cnet - Be sure to read Chrome's fine print
ZDNet - Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw
Microsoft watch - Chrome Privacy is Full of Dents

Guardian - Is there anything original in Google Chrome?

RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
cnet - Be sure to read Chrome's fine print
ZDNet - Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw
aka, Chrome isn't going to see this laptop's HDD. Nooohooo way....

If those articles are even remotely right, then Chrome is one big spyware program.

----------

My initial thoughts were "they come way too late to the 'browser war', unless there is something very special about it..."

And I guess the current security issues aren't going to be helping either. Neither are all the tracking stuff build in in Chrome.

Looks do not say anything, they are the last thing I worry about. But apparently this isn't so with many people...

When MS (or let's say Plus!?) send some anonymous data back home to see what language has been installed or what feature is used the most then everybody cries out. When this Chrome sends IDs unique to you, snapshots of the pages you visit, the keystrokes you type in the search bar, etc back home, nobody says a thing... because 'it looks good'?

Sorry, one word for it: dustbin (for now)...
ok, that were 3 words
RE: Google Chrome by Th3rmal on 09-03-2008 at 08:32 AM

We already know that google takes alot of our information and does whatever they want with them, if your that serious about being anonymous, you might as well not use the internet =/

RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
We already know that google takes alot of our information and does whatever they want with them, if your that serious about being anonymous, you might as well not use the internet =/
I suggest to read some articles and reviews, some of the information is not anonymous at all. And there can be something like too much tracking information also, anonymous or not.

Moreover, there are also very high security risks and big security holes in this current browser.

And the incognito mode? Well, it isn't that 'incognito' either.

My point is also that if MS does something like that the whole world goes down on MS (same analogy with Plus! and its optional sponsor). When Google does it, it is swept away like nothing with a typical "pfff, then don't use the net or turn the options off"? Talking about serious double standards...

Nothing good about Chrome from me, at least for now that is. Sure, it looks good, but so did Pandora...

The only good thing is that it is possible to turn off most (but not all!) of this tracking stuff. But it isn't made very clear at all. And like some of those articles say: "Who has read the privacy policy to know all the snooping this browser actually does"?

There is still a lot of work to be done to this browser. Starting by fixing those massive security holes it has.
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-03-2008 at 09:18 AM

Er, they don't take anything from you if you don't allow it 8-)

They don't have access to you files and don't collect any usage information if you turn "Help make Google Chrome better by sending usage statistics.." off, which it is by default.

Now the only information they're "collecting" is it sends what you type in the Omnibar to suggest the site you're looking for(and this is not sent with the Unique ID, that's only used in crash reporting and updating). If you don't like this, you can turn it off in the options.(edit search engines > uncheck "Use a suggestive service to check URLS.."). I'm also pretty sure that it does the same whatever your search engine is, so it'd query Yahoo if that was your search engine.

Incognito mode downloads cookies etc when browsing and deletes it when you go back to normal mode, it's the same as IE8's InPrivate feature, and many others. What's not so incognito about it?

However hopefully the security flaws will be fixed ASAP.

RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Er, they don't take anything from you if you don't allow it 8-)
I already said that too though: "you can turn off most of the tracking stuff..."

But nobody claimed they would take files though. Icognito doesn't do the exact same thing as MSIE's InPrivate function according to some articles and they suggest that the Incognito mode isn't that 'incognito' at all. Their EULA has also some questionable things in it.

Either way, I'm not goint to install this new browser to find out myself.
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-03-2008 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

But nobody claimed they would take files though.
quote:
...?

Anyway, I see no proof for any of your arguments? I'm not suggesting you should install it, I'm just letting other people know that it isn't some nazi data whoring application as you seem to think. And seeing as most of the lesser educated people would just take your word for it(you being seen as very knowledgeable), I want to make sure they know it's not the case.
RE: RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 10:14 AM

quote:
quote:

But nobody claimed they would take files though.
quote:
...?
errrr, meaning it isn't going to be installed here...

quote:
Anyway, I see no proof for any of your arguments? I'm not suggesting you should install it, I'm just letting other people know that it isn't some nazi data whoring application as you seem to think. And seeing as most of the lesser educated people would just take your word for it(you being seen as very knowledgeable), I want to make sure they know it's not the case.
I thought I made it clear that the information I got comes from those articles linked by Sunshine, and other article and reviews I've read in the mean time... (but apparently it wasn't clear enough) since I already said several times I'm not going to install it myself, because of some massive security issues (and, yes, because of the tracking it apparently does, being able to turn it off or not).

And my thoughts about people so easly crying out at MS (and Plus!) for doing the same kind, but not saying one word about it when Google does it, still remains though.
RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-03-2008 at 10:16 AM

quote:

Moreover, there are also very high security risks and big security holes in this current browser.
thats why it's in beta so they can fix these things
i quite like it beats ff and the shit out of ie i do like my altoolbar in ie though
RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 10:27 AM

To be very honest, those security issues should have been fixed _before_ it went public. And they could have, since the very same stuff is already fixed in Safari, before Chrome went to public, which uses the exact same engine.

The reason I cry out so loud in this thread is _exactly_ because the 'lesser educated people', like vaccination calls them, do not know they will be vulnerable to such security issues and possible snooping.

Heck, I bet not many of you (incl. me) would have know about the security issues, Chrome's policy, the possible snooping, etc,  if it wasn't for Sunshine posting those links and some people actually reading those links and looking further into it then just the (very nice looking) surface....

RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-03-2008 at 10:40 AM

quote:
errrr, meaning it isn't going to be installed here...

Ah, thought you were talking about it looking at your files or something =p

quote:
I thought I made it clear that the information I got comes from those articles linked by Sunshine, and other article and reviews I've read in the mean time... (but apparently it wasn't clear enough)

I feel some of those sites are quite ill-informed, as some of the comments suggest on them. And as I've already stated, no un-ordinary information is collected, even with everything enabled. Only the Unique ID thing, which I can't see being of any trouble itself(it's only used in updates and error logging?), however we'll see. Most of it's just the standard "quality improvement" stuff that MS uses a lot, as does many other companies.

I agree that the security holes should've been fixed already though, especially as it's down to the fact that Chrome is running on some outdated components(old Webkit/Java versions I believe the main hole's are down to).
RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-03-2008 at 11:42 AM

quote:
is it just me being silly or is there no "homepage" button
[Image: attachment.php?pid=925501]
i still like it, i think i prefer to one of the ppl ignorant of the security problems, because tbh i just couldn't give a shit, if Google are interested in all the boring stuff i do it's their time they're wasting reading it not mine
RE: Google Chrome by UnduTheGun on 09-03-2008 at 11:45 PM

about the google policy, get over it, it a general policy that google uses on their apps, and was not intended to be there in the first place:
PC World Article about google amendig the license agreement

And it's a beta, it's only purpose it's to show off it's main features, not being bugless.

RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-03-2008 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
i still like it, i think i prefer to one of the ppl ignorant of the security problems, because tbh i just couldn't give a shit, if Google are interested in all the boring stuff i do it's their time they're wasting reading it not mine
The security issues don't have anything todo with the possible "snooping" (or whatever you wanna call it), those are two very different things.

The security issues are big holes in the software which allow attackers to plant and run viri like trojans (or whatever) on your PC, without you knowing about it, without any notice, warning or confirmation from you.

Unless you don't care about that either. In that case, I haven't said anything :p

quote:
Originally posted by UnduTheGun
about the google policy, get over it, it a general policy that google uses on their apps, and was not intended to be there in the first place:
PC World Article about google amendig the license agreement
That link describes exactly what I was saying before. A lot of stuff about Chrome is/was very questionable.

Those things are not things to simply "get over it". Those things need to be addressed and fixed and isn't just thin air or whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by UnduTheGun
And it's a beta, it's only purpose it's to show off it's main features, not being bugless.
Nobody will ever claim that the purpose of a beta version is to be bugfree (goes for any software), so that is just a stupid argument...
RE: RE: Google Chrome by segosa on 09-03-2008 at 11:59 PM

quote:
To be very honest, those security issues should have been fixed _before_ it went public. And they could have, since the very same stuff is already fixed in Safari, before Chrome went to public, which uses the exact same engine.

The reason I cry out so loud in this thread is _exactly_ because the 'lesser educated people', like vaccination calls them, do not know they will be vulnerable to such security issues and possible snooping.

Heck, I bet not many of you (incl. me) would have know about the security issues, Chrome's policy, the possible snooping, etc,  if it wasn't for Sunshine posting those links and some people actually reading those links and looking further into it then just the (very nice looking) surface....

Why are you being such an idiot?

I'll give you the carpet-bombing flaw, but every other one of your points is just bullshit.

from this page:

"Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g., version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates. If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well."

Oh, wow, an anonymous application number is sent when you update or send a crash report. The world is ending! Google are going to hack your life using this number and steal your babies!

One new Chrome feature shows the six most popular pages when opening any new tab. Chrome gets these linkable thumbnails by taking "snapshots of most pages you visit (except for secure pages with 'https' Web addresses, such as some bank pages)." Well that one ought to catch lots of porn surfing teens, when a parent opens a Chrome tab.) Sure, browsers save images and other files in a Web cache. But these snapshots would make a tidy browsing history if mined by a third party.

OH WHAT?!? Chrome is storing images of my webpages locally on my computer and they're not being sent to Google?! How dare they! It's not like they're actually used for something.. oh wait, they are. They're used for a nice thumbnail feature to show your past 6 pages. That's so evil!

"If you use Google Chrome in incognito mode, it will not transmit any pre-existing cookies to sites that you visit. Sites may deposit new cookies on your machine while you are in incognito mode, however. These cookies will be temporarily stored and transmitted to sites while you remain in incognito mode. They will be deleted when you close the browser or return to normal browsing mode."

Do you know how the Internet works? If incognito mode didn't keep session cookies for the session then how is your porn-loving 50-year-old neighbour going to keep himself logged into his pay-for porn site while in incognito mode? Didn't think about that, did you? 8-)

Lastly, the EULA which had copy pasted parts from their other EULAs which has now been fixed. God, isn't Google just evil?
RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-04-2008 at 12:07 AM

ffs people... All I did here was telling that this first Chrome beta isn't all "ooh and wow", but that there are some questionable things in it, _especially_ for those who don't know about the possible risks involved. Since when is it a crime to do that???? And since when does that give the green light to name calling???

So, I would appreciate it if you don't call me (or anyone else) stupid, ignorant or whatever else when I or anyone else dare to question stuff. For once read the stuff for what it was meant, don't put words in my mouth and maybe accept that some people do not follow the masses like mindless (or blinded by the pretty lights) sheep trying to fit in the group...

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Segosa, I highly suggest you reread what I exactly have said in this thread instead of putting things in my mouth or doing some name calling...

RE: Google Chrome by segosa on 09-04-2008 at 12:10 AM

No, they follow like paranoid idiots who think that a randomly-generated number unique to your computer which is sent to a third-party during updates of their application is the end of the world.

EDIT: CooKiErEvIsED (if you're going to type my name with caps that don't exist, I'll do the same): I read everything you said, and I suggest you stop being so damn paranoid.

RE: Google Chrome by Joe on 09-04-2008 at 12:21 AM

quote:
EDIT: Segosa, I highly suggest you reread what I exactly have said in this thread instead of putting things in my mouth...

Pics plz.

Oh.. and

Google Chrome impresses me.
RE: Google Chrome by Nathan on 09-04-2008 at 01:54 AM

quote:
ffs people... All I did here was telling that this first Chrome beta isn't all "ooh and wow", but that there are questionable things in it, _especially_ for those who don't know about the possible risks involved. Since when is it a crime to do that????

So, I would appreciate it if you don't call me stupid, ignorant or whatever else. For once read the stuff for what it was meant, don't put words in my mouth and maybe accept that some people do not follow the masses like mindless (or blinded by the pretty lights) sheep...

:rolleyes:

How can anyone call cookie stupid <3

P.S: I'm not overally keen on the browser. Firefox > *
RE: RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-04-2008 at 09:40 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
The security issues don't have anything todo with the possible "snooping" (or whatever you wanna call it), those are two very different things.

The security issues are big holes in the software which allow attackers to plant and run viri like trojans (or whatever) on your PC, without you knowing about it, without any notice, warning or confirmation from you.

Unless you don't care about that either. In that case, I haven't said anything :p

eh the chances of that are slim with the browsing i do, and i'm confident with my av
RE: Google Chrome by Knucks on 09-04-2008 at 12:43 PM

I think that Google Chrome is a decent browser, very slimline and good looking (especially in Vista). However, I have Firefox customised to suit my needs to even think about "switching".

It has me thinking about using it at college though..

RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-04-2008 at 01:47 PM

What's up with you people, the minute someone puts in something to reveal another side than the ohh ahh and wow one you attack that person?

It wasn't Cookie who put in those links, it was me! And I did it to show people every aspect of Chrome, not just the good ones so people can form a decent/fair opinion on it before jumping on the bandwagon! Why attack Cookie on it and not me? Since when are different opinions not respected anymore? FYI I share the same opinion as he does (if Chrome was a Msft product you'd be screamin murder over the stuff you let Google get away with) and it is not touchin my computer either for the following reasons:
1. Security flaws which should not be in it in the first place, they were known!
2. Privacy issues
3. It doesn't have anything original, nothing I need, no feature I don't have in another browser already.

RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-04-2008 at 03:00 PM

quote:
What's up with you people, the minute someone puts in something to reveal another side than the ohh ahh and wow one you attack that person?

It wasn't Cookie who put in those links, it was me! And I did it to show people every aspect of Chrome, not just the good ones so people can form a decent/fair opinion on it before jumping on the bandwagon! Why attack Cookie on it and not me? Since when are different opinions not respected anymore? FYI I share the same opinion as he does (if Chrome was a Msft product you'd be screamin murder over the stuff you let Google get away with) and it is not touchin my computer either for the following reasons:
1. Security flaws which should not be in it in the first place, they were known!
2. Privacy issues
3. It doesn't have anything original, nothing I need, no feature I don't have in another browser already.
1. IF I am to nitpick, there have been times where other browsers have security vulnerabilities, even though the browser is still out there.

2. The privacy issues goes around the horribly annoying wagon of people that think Google are going to take over the planet. Just because a) Google made it and b) they shortcut'd and used their "common" ToS doesn't mean that it's a spooky thing to use and Google is going to take over the planet! Come on! If it was some crappy webbrowser that is filled with spyware and using Trident as the renderer, sure. But that's not what this is. As a last note, did you notice that it's actually open source? For the sake of the humour, let's ask (, yes you guessed right!) Google! The definition of open source!

3. a) Just because something isn't extremely original doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. (I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm not putting words in your mouth or anything.) Oh, and you're wrong. Heard of the one process per tab? One process per plugin? Different perspective of security? Of course, nowadays making a completely original browser is somewhat a difficult thing to accomplish as we're doing not-so-bad when it comes to browsers. Sometimes, when something != original doesn't mean it's a problem nor a bad thing.
b) Your call.
c) See 3a. V8 is something new. The way it works is new. "Hey, look, it can browse webpages!" "Yeah, I mean, they can all browse webpages. Come on, there's no difference." Errrrrr.

End of rant.
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-04-2008 at 03:06 PM

No one could say anything about your opinions Sunshine as you didn't state any.

If you agree with Cookie, see my earlier posts.

RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-04-2008 at 03:36 PM

Issues or not... take away the brand and it isn't that much of an exciting browser. The only interesting thing I've spotted it independent processes for tabs... but it's very rare for my current browser to crash anyway.

Google aims at "webapps", i can understand why as a lot of their products are considered to be "webapps". In the real world however i don't really use any "webapp" (argh, i said it again... dodgy buzzword).
- Sure, I use GMail, but trough Thunderbird as i like Thunderbird's interface much better and it provides more features.
- Call me old, but i don't see the point of limiting chat to a browser window. I didn't dump the webchat sites in the 90s for nothing :D.
- Blah, old guy rant ;p

Any competition in browser-land is nice, but they have a long way to go before I'll give it a try.

RE: Google Chrome by haydos on 09-04-2008 at 04:17 PM

Personally I like the touch and feel of the browser. It looks nice and it operates pretty well. Unfortunately it's a little slower at the moment than firefox for me, so I'll stick with the latter (just).

RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-04-2008 at 05:31 PM

Betanews.com - The Google Chrome EULA debacle: Whose content is it, anyway?

quote:
....New beta testers yesterday reported that version of section 11.2 had been struck from the document, and that 11.1 preceding it was truncated to read simply that the user is the copyright owner of all the content he or she posts. "You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services," reads the remaining first sentence of Section 11.1.

But as BetaNews discovered this morning, fresh installations of Chrome on systems where it had not been installed before, are not showing the EULA for users to agree or disagree upon prior to installation. Instead, just after the Windows System Registry is altered to plant Google's autostart routine in the system startup, the download of the latest build is automatically triggered. At least for now, some users won't be getting a chance to examine the EULA...and we're having a hard time locating how a Chrome user can pull up that EULA after the browser beta is installed....

:s
RE: Google Chrome by plmccordj on 09-05-2008 at 01:24 AM

You have got to be kidding or outright lying.  I do not believe that you have never used a home button.  You have to really be one of    those Google worshipers to think this is a good browser.  I am posting this from Chrome and being fast is the only thing about this browser that is decent. 

There is seriously something wrong with a browser that you have to go to the settings to find the home button.  This browser looks like Netscape 1.0 and is typical of Google with their featureless Google Talk.  Google does one thing well and that is search.  Their Google Earth is good as well but other than that, they are way and I mean way over rated.  This is typical of Google worshipers that would fawn over a featureless browser even without a home button.

I am just absolutely amazed at the level or lack of common sense when applied to Google.  The browser sucks though it may be better with later versions.  Using Google Talk as a gage would prove otherwise as it has been out several years and still sucks.

Nice try on the "I've never used the home button" line.  Either you are such a hard core Google worshiper or you are mentally retarded.  I have been on the Internet since 1994 and have never seen a person that has been on the Internet and never used the home button.

This is a first for me.  The fact that this statement was not scolded and pointed out from other users is telling of the audience of this board.  To think that I searched for the phrase "Google Chrome has no home button" and actually found a place defending it is just amazing.  I have visions of robots walking around chanting the mantra "Google is God" walking around.  Have no fear... I will not be back on this board as it is not likely a place that is going to have any usable information.

RE: Google Chrome by ShawnZ on 09-05-2008 at 01:37 AM

how retarded to you have to be to not see what they're trying to do with the home button thing? the point of not having a home button is that the New Tab page they have should be able to take you wherever you need to go, and when you want to do something else with the browser you open a new tab...

disclaimer: i didn't say i think it was a good idea, but by enabling/using the home button you're going against how google "wants"/expects you to use the browser

RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-05-2008 at 08:22 AM

I said 'I never use', not 'never used'. Slight difference.

You don't need a home button, I have all the sites I want to visit a lot bookmarked, the most visited ones along the bookmar bar, and as such, from any page I can go to any place I want. Why would I need a homepage? The only reason you would have a homepage is so that you have something to look at when you first open the browser, seeing as I have Fx, and Chrome, to open the tabs I last visited, I have no need for a homepage.

I open browser > there's stuff I was last looking at > can now continue reading article, or continue browsing forums, open new tab, go check out some C&H.

RE: RE: Google Chrome by CookieRevised on 09-05-2008 at 10:13 AM

quote:
2. The privacy issues goes around the horribly annoying wagon of people that think Google are going to take over the planet. Just because a) Google made it and b) they shortcut'd and used their "common" ToS doesn't mean that it's a spooky thing to use and Google is going to take over the planet! Come on!
I, and I think Sunshine also, aren't people who think "Google is taking over the world".

That's just another argument I'll put in the same category as "M$ doesn't listen to its users and simply wants to make money", "The world is going to end in 2012", and "leaking stuff is cool because everybody does it and no harm is done", and all the other populistical internet sayings...

In fact the brand 'Google' hasn't got anything todo with my opinion about Chrome. If it was for any other brand, I would've said the very same thing.

If you are a somewhat regular forum user, I'd expect you would know I'm always telling people to use Google. And use Google myself a lot everyday day. It is my homepage and the only search engine I swear by. If it wasn't for Google, I wouldn't be able to do what I do so much. So, to then tell me I'm one of those "Google is taking over the world" people or to simply see my opinions in that context is more then questionable.

As for b): They (or any other company) should not use their 'common' TOS at all. That is plain wrong. A TOS, EULA, etc is like a contract. Show me 1 company which in real life uses the same contract for everything. There isn't one, because each contract needs to be specific for each product, otherwise it isn't valid. It are the TOS, EULA, policies, etc which exactly specify what a product may or may not do and what is expected from the user. So if it states  the product or the company may do X with your data, then it is more than logic that a user who actually reads those 'contracts' will cry out!! Nomatter if the product actually will do X or not as that doesn't matter, what matters is what is in the 'contract'. If you don't agree with the 'contract' you wouldn't be using the product in the first place to find out if the product actually does follow the 'contract' or not; the 'contract' is the first you (should) see _before_ you see the product. And the reason they changed it a bit by now, is exactly because they too reconize this.

-----------------------

quote:
Originally posted by plmccordj
Have no fear... I will not be back on this board as it is not likely a place that is going to have any usable information.
It's equally quote:"retarded" to judge an entire forum, its users and the vast amount of information on that forum because of 1 discussion about some general topic which isn't even the main focus point of that forum.

btw: I use the internet since the early days (in fact, I've been using Bullitin Board Systems long before the internet, I'm that old *grup*), and I never had any use for the Home button. First, because I didn't had a 'home' to go to (how sad of me), and second, because nowadays when you open a browser or a new tab, the page that is loaded is the homepage. And you can have favorites and your own custom buttons in a toolbar all leading to multiple 'homepages'. So the 'Home' button is realy of no use anymore in most of those cases.
RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-05-2008 at 10:26 AM

quote:
how retarded to you have to be to not see what they're trying to do with the home button thing? the point of not having a home button is that the New Tab page they have should be able to take you wherever you need to go, and when you want to do something else with the browser you open a new tab...

disclaimer: i didn't say i think it was a good idea, but by enabling/using the home button you're going against how google "wants"/expects you to use the browser
exactly the home button just takes up space
RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-05-2008 at 10:52 AM

quote:

3. ... Oh, and you're wrong. Heard of the one process per tab? One process per plugin? Different perspective of security? ..
Have you actually read the article i've posted? Is there anything original in Google Chrome?
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes and it also has Inprivate browsing, anti-phishing (SmartScreen filter)...also look in Internet settings, many more things you can turn on/off in regards of security. Read further below to see which browsers I have installed here...

quote:
I, and I think Sunshine also, aren't people who think "Google is taking over the world".

Correct, I'm not one of those either...do those really exist? Take over the world, come on get real.

I also use Google products like Search (not the toolbar, don't particularly like toolbars), Gmail and Adsense. I use stuff of all brands really, whatever gets me what I want/need and I'm equally critical about all of them. I have 3 different browsers installed here (IE8b2, Firefox and Opera) just to make sure my site is rendering the same (or "as good as") in whichever browser someone is using! I really don't see why I'd need Chrome too.
RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-05-2008 at 12:15 PM

quote:
I really don't see why I'd need Chrome too.
cos it's nicer to use than firefox, no toolbars few buttons, better tab manipulation i can't think of anything more in particular but i like it over firefox
RE: Google Chrome by albert on 09-05-2008 at 12:49 PM

I won't get into any huge debates here, I just want to point out something which doesn't seem to have been brought up.

Chrome is a named browser, but it's ability to browse the web is simply the smallest feature it offers. This is not a web browser as such, it is an O.S. that is meant to allow google calendar, docs, mail and all other apps to run. I don't believe Google will take over the world, I simply believe they have a futuristic view of where technology is headed, and they take advantage of that.

Microsoft has a monopoly in offline computing, Google is changing that default thinking by bringing everything online. They don't care about browsing the web; they've always promoted firefox. What they care about is to keep on pushing their web os. Chrome allows them to do so.

Yes Google privacy issues is nothing new, and it should not be taken lighty (because all computers log everything and that internet usage is never 100% private doesn't mean it has to be easier for them than others) but the reason I actually am loving this browser is not because of it's lack of vulnaribilities (all browsers had and will keep on having some from time to time, and so they will be fixed eventually) neither it's perfection in privacy issues (every huge company has these and it will be fixed) but I love this because it brings web O.S. a step further and pushes it to be not only a concept of future, but a concept of reality.

RE: Google Chrome by surfichris on 09-05-2008 at 01:58 PM

quote:
... Right, I'm going to believe something a Microsoft based blog tells me. Especially when it says this:
quote:
I've just got to excerpt from this document: "When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for."

Can you say keylogger? What else could "the letters you type" mean?
Are you kidding me? Give me a god damn break. All that's happening here are search suggestions being provided - which similar browsers have had for years.

quote:
"Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g., version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates. If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well."
Every crash report you send Microsoft contains a unique identifier for your installation, the same with Apple Mac OS X. These identifiers are used to purely summarize/group crash reports. Holy sweet mother of Mozes, they're sending back my version number and language? Pfft, what a joke.

quote:
I'm not going to install it myself, because of some massive security issues (and, yes, because of the tracking it apparently does, being able to turn it off or not).
You're still running Windows, right? 8-)
quote:
Actually no, you're wrong. While Chrome uses WebKit, the rendering engines are not the same. Chrome has a customized version of WebKit in quite a few ways.

Also - there's a good chance the beta version being released is not "fresh off the mill" and is code that is backdated quite a few revisions - so who knows if it was already fixed or not?
quote:
Originally posted by plmccordj
I do not believe that you have never used a home button.
I've not used the home button in a long time. My primary means of navigating between pages in the browser I use are the address bar, search box and by launching a new tab.
quote:
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes and it also has Inprivate browsing, anti-phishing (SmartScreen filter)...also look in Internet settings, many more things you can turn on/off in regards of security. Read further below to see which browsers I have installed here...
Give me a break. You mean to say that Google started developing Chrome and adding in per-instance tabs etc right after Microsoft announced it? Do you realize how long Chrome has actually been in development for?

Just my opinion.
RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-05-2008 at 02:20 PM

.....aaand we have an old fashioned browser fight :D.

It used to be so easy to pick sides when there was just Netscape and IE. Now there is IE, Opera, FF, Chrome... poor fanboys :(.

RE: RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-05-2008 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by surfichris
quote:
... Right, I'm going to believe something a Microsoft based blog tells me.
If you don't beleive that site, how about the other ones I posted...how about all those other sites reporting the same? Ok i'll add one here you might trust:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/chrome_roundup/
quote:
quote:
Give me a break. You mean to say that Google started developing Chrome and adding in per-instance tabs etc right after Microsoft announced it? Do you realize how long Chrome has actually been in development for?
How can you miss out the fact that I was merely answering Nitro's question:
quote:

..Heard of the one process per tab? One process per plugin? Different perspective of security? ..
Don't read in my words what isn't there, thank you very much.
RE: Google Chrome by andrewdodd13 on 09-05-2008 at 10:54 PM

You're all wrong.

From the perspective of a drunk, you should be using Alt + Home for your home page by now anyway. Anyone who uses a mouse is just nooby. :) (Although we do appriceiate the input of noobs).

One thing I have found with Chrome: it has spell-check but right clicking an incorrectly spelled word doesn't give you suggestions, wtf is with that? Even MS do that in Word... seriously.

RE: Google Chrome by Kenji on 09-05-2008 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
it has spell-check but right clicking an incorrectly spelled word doesn't give you suggestions
Yes it does.
RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 09-05-2008 at 11:03 PM

quote:
quote:
it has spell-check but right clicking an incorrectly spelled word doesn't give you suggestions
Yes it does.

Not all the time, it seems to be buggy =/
RE: Google Chrome by surfichris on 09-05-2008 at 11:15 PM

quote:
.....aaand we have an old fashioned browser fight :D.

It used to be so easy to pick sides when there was just Netscape and IE. Now there is IE, Opera, FF, Chrome... poor fanboys :(.
Not really, I don't use any of those browsers (not even Chome ;))

Sunshine/CookieRevised/paranoid people: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/
RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-06-2008 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Sunshine/CookieRevised/paranoid people: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/
You dismiss Sunshine's link because it is a Microsoft-oriented blog, yet your own link leads to a Google employee blog? :p
RE: Google Chrome by Nathan on 09-06-2008 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Not really, I don't use any of those browsers (not even Chome (Smilie))
I don't know many people who use Chome either to be fair...
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-06-2008 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:
Yes it does.

Err, it just doesn't have anything if there's no suggestions. It's not a great implementation however.
RE: RE: Google Chrome by andrewdodd13 on 09-06-2008 at 09:48 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes it does.

Err, it just doesn't have anything if there's no suggestions. It's not a great implementation however.
Admittedly, I did do that while drunk, hence appreciated isn't spelled correctly. ;)

Still, if there are no spelling suggestions there should be an "Add to Dictionary" button like Firefox has.
RE: Google Chrome by vaccination on 09-06-2008 at 10:38 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes it does.

Admittedly, I did do that while drunk, hence appreciated isn't spelled correctly. ;)

Still, if there are no spelling suggestions there should be an "Add to Dictionary" button like Firefox has.
Hm, it seems to be buggy actually, however it's not the suggestion system, it's the dodgy selection that chrome has. right click a word and for some reason Chrome decides to select the last character in the entire text, therefore giving you no suggestions.

[Image: chromeselectionmi5.png]

It's very dodgy though, sometimes selects right thing, sometimes doesn't, if you just randomly right click around some text it selects all kinds of different things, other times it's perfectly fine ;s
RE: Google Chrome by John Anderton on 09-07-2008 at 10:33 AM

quote:
I'm a little afraid that it will take away of the Firefox user share first, before (if at all) having a impact on the IE users. Thoughts?
If you're an IE user, the only reason why you've not moved to another browser (Firefox or Opera.. even Safari for that matter) is because you a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE) :P

So I just feel that it will hurt the other browsers way more than IE because honestly.. the IE users could have moved to any of the "other" browsers but didn't and Google Chrome doesn't have anything that is SO major that they would decide to do it now and not have done it earlier (to Firefox/Opera/Safari etc.)

Hope you guys already know about the Chrome Easter Egg ;) (No I've not read the entire 9 pages of the thread yet :P)

Update: Read the entire thread now.. :P
quote:

ever heard of a session saver?

Did Google hire a Steve Jobs type marketting guy for Chrome cause that's what it seems like it. Nothing original when it comes to features but yet a huge hype (kinda like the iPhone but not as bad). Hey, at least its built for stability and has sandboxing :P
Chrome fails at highlighting text on web pages though. Firefox does it way better. I have the feeling that its because of the way Chrome treats web pages is all together different. Or maybe that's the WebKit way.. who knows? I've not really used Safari.

So Chrome is made up of components like WebKit, V8 and other OS components... what exactly did Google work on? V8 takes care of the JS VM formation, right? Who did the "running tabs as separate processes for crash protection" thingo?

I know its Open Source and all.. but you've gotta do something yourself too :P Overall I think its an okayish browser. Its got promise as long as it fixes a few things and adds a few others. As the Google comic clearly says, its more about stability at this point than anything and stable it is. I guess they'll add all the other things we've grown used to in time :)

As for now, its back to Firefox for me :) Can't live without Adblock, flashblock and delicious bookmarks :P (Multi computer bookmark syncing ftw :D)
RE: Google Chrome by Felu on 09-07-2008 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
So I just feel that it will hurt the other browsers way more than IE because honestly.. the IE users could have moved to any of the "other" browsers but didn't and Google Chrome doesn't have anything that is SO major that they would decide to do it now and not have done it earlier (to Firefox/Opera/Safari etc.)
More and more people are getting to know of new browsers and moving for IE to Firefox, Opera or Safari. Most of them were rarely in the news/papers. Chrome has been featured on a lot of news channels and papers. When people are exposed to new options, they surely would love to try them. Most of them would probably switch to Chrome because its a lot faster and smoother and other browsers.

On the other hand, Firefox users might want to stick to Firefox because of the wide range of addons/extensions/skins available. Had the faster performance have been at a higher priority than speed to them, they would've switched to Opera or Safari already.

For people using IE, Chrome is a lot better in many aspects. For those with Firefox, Chrome only is better in terms of memory lag only. Moving from IE to Chrome is more justified than moving from Firefox to Chrome.

I guess it'll effect IE way more than Firefox. But that is just an assumption, I might be wrong.

I still have Firefox as my default browser, though I have Chrome open for video and other purposes.
quote:
Hope you guys already know about the Chrome Easter Egg  (No I've not read the entire 9 pages of the thread yet )
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about all that :P. I hardly have played around with Chrome yet.
RE: Google Chrome by John Anderton on 09-07-2008 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about all that . I hardly have played around with Chrome yet.
Well in that case, do check the task manager out. Its pure awesome :-D I love looking at stats ever now and again so that helps.

Also, you can have a look at the load times for elements on a page (or so I've heard) but the thing doesn't work for me O.o. I've seen screenies where it works for other people though. Weird :(
RE: Google Chrome by Menthix on 09-07-2008 at 11:44 AM

quote:
a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE)
d) You really don't care as long as your webpages are loading (aka. most of the world).
RE: Google Chrome by Jarrod on 09-07-2008 at 11:54 AM

quote:
quote:
a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE)
d) You really don't care as long as your webpages are loading (aka. most of the world).
e) your actually 2 lazy to bother installing firefox and installed altoolbar instead
RE: Google Chrome by ShawnZ on 09-07-2008 at 01:16 PM

quote:
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes

no it doesn't. why does everyone keep saying that? :-/

also, in reference to the page you posted earlier:

"I've just got to excerpt from this document: "When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for."

Can you say keylogger? What else could "the letters you type" mean?"

@joe wilcox

can you say shut the fuck up? google suggest has been doing this forever. that exact same feature is used on google's home page! are you telling me that none of you use google search? besides, do you really think that the number of people not only using google chrome, but google the website too, is so little that they're capable of logging EVERY letter of EVERY query ever sent to them?
RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-07-2008 at 01:35 PM

quote:

As for b): They (or any other company) should not use their 'common' TOS at all. That is plain wrong. A TOS, EULA, etc is like a contract. Show me 1 company which in real life uses the same contract for everything. There isn't one, because each contract needs to be specific for each product, otherwise it isn't valid. It are the TOS, EULA, policies, etc which exactly specify what a product may or may not do and what is expected from the user. So if it states  the product or the company may do X with your data, then it is more than logic that a user who actually reads those 'contracts' will cry out!! Nomatter if the product actually will do X or not as that doesn't matter, what matters is what is in the 'contract'. If you don't agree with the 'contract' you wouldn't be using the product in the first place to find out if the product actually does follow the 'contract' or not; the 'contract' is the first you (should) see _before_ you see the product. And the reason they changed it a bit by now, is exactly because they too reconize this.
True, but that doesn't mean that you should fear the TOS either, as it (has already been stated that) isn't as "spookeh" as people seem to believe. As I stated in my last post.
Oh, and I never said you and Sunshine were that kind of persons, but that the privacy issues around it is generally because of it.

quote:

Have you actually read the article i've posted? Is there anything original in Google Chrome?

I have read that article, actually, I've read a lot of articles about Google Chrome. As there's been stated, , IE doesn't open each tab in a process. As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 09-07-2008 at 01:39 PM

quote:
no it doesn't. why does everyone keep saying that?

IIRC, the Google comic mentioned that IE8 was supposed to be doing it, or was planning it in the future. Tests on BETA 2 have shown about 20MB RAM difference in the two (to IE's favour).

Although, people being worried about what you search for in the address bar being sent to Google, what about the new similar pages feature of IE? Surely that is just as bad, if not worse! That iss not just a case of sending a few letters to Google to see what search results to eliminate, they must actually know what type of site you are on and the exact topic!
RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-07-2008 at 01:40 PM

quote:
... As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
What are you on about? Did I say any of the kind? I don't believe I did....all I did was answer your question if i had heard... :s
RE: Google Chrome by Thor on 09-07-2008 at 01:54 PM

quote:
quote:
... As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
What are you on about? Did I say any of the kind? I don't believe I did....all I did was answer your question if i had heard... :s
When you use the fact that it's not original because it has some features other browsers have too, it sounds definetly like you're bashing on the fact that it has features any browser should have.
RE: Google Chrome by Sunshine on 09-07-2008 at 03:08 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
When you use the fact that it's not original because it has some features other browsers have too, it sounds definetly like you're bashing on the fact that it has features any browser should have.
I really don't see how you come to that :s
RE: Google Chrome by Anubis on 09-08-2008 at 09:10 PM

I think Google made a slight mistake with Chrome. I don't think it offers anything revolutionary enough to warrant a mass exodus from Firefox users to Chrome. But I like the fact it runs on so little memory and it feels nice to use.

RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 09-09-2008 at 12:31 AM

Well, it's goodbye to Chrome. I've given it time and think that in some areas it is pretty cool and does some pretty cool things. I have found a few sites that don't display properly (but work in Flock and IE) and my home page seems to reset to the new tab page randomly as well as it forgetting my login information on occasion too.

RE: Google Chrome by Spunky on 11-03-2008 at 01:40 PM

Ok, so I submitted and went back to chrome and it runs a lot smoother now... Except for the fact that movie is apparently spelt  wrong ^o)

RE: Google Chrome by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 03:13 PM

My chrome at home went wierd a few days ago.  I was largely using it as a wikipedia editor (seeing as i was unemployed and spending lots of time on wiki :P) but now randomly it's displaying it as if it's completely ignoring the css

it works fine on my IE and on my chrome at work....so i'm at a loss...i even updated chrome and it's still fudged....youtube also seems to be a bit sporadic on chrome (like telling me flash isn't installed, when infact i have the latest version)....gotta love the irony that a google owned product (which is now advertising chrome) seems to function intermittently on google's browser :P