Shoutbox

Router Lan problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Router Lan problem (/showthread.php?tid=85763)

Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-03-2008 at 10:10 PM

Recently ive been having a problem with my Router and my lan cable.
When i run a LAN cable from my router to my computer it used to always work fine, but now for some odd reason, it has just stopped. The connection works for a maximum of 5 minutes, but then i have to restart the router. I dont know why this is and yes i have tried all 4 ports on my router.
My router is a Dlink DSL-G624T if that helps.
Also i havent installed any drivers etc recently and im on vista.

Anyone know what the problem could be??

RE: Router Lan problem by Spunky on 09-04-2008 at 01:06 AM

Have you tried hooking a different computer to the cable, or a different cable altogether?

RE: Router Lan problem by Adeptus on 09-04-2008 at 04:46 AM

What makes you think it has anything to do with the cable?  Sounds a lot more like crap router to me.

Are there any other computers behind this router (I'd hope so, because otherwise you don't need it) and are those affected as well? 

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 06:53 AM

Ive tried 2 different cables and i get the same outcome
Also, there are 2 computers that connect wirelessly to the router and my xbox which is wired to it.

RE: Router Lan problem by Spunky on 09-04-2008 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
What makes you think it has anything to do with the cable?  Sounds a lot more like crap router to me.

Well, it's the cheapest and quickest thing to check. Do you really wanna shell out for a new router if it's just a cable? It's common sense ^o)
RE: Router Lan problem by ShawnZ on 09-04-2008 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus

Well, it's the cheapest and quickest thing to check. Do you really wanna shell out for a new router if it's just a cable? It's common sense ^o)

not really, why the fuck would it be the cable?
RE: Router Lan problem by foaly on 09-04-2008 at 01:06 PM

by the way a new router is about €15 and a cable is about €10 euro.
So I really don't see why he should try the cable first.
But it sounds the most like a bad network card.
If you are running XP, try updating windows, heard there was a bad update....

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 03:16 PM

Im running vista and today my dad took it to the shop. They said that the LAN port on the computer had fucked up so they installed a new one. It now works but takes at least 20 mins to load each page, most of the time it just timeouts though which is really weird.
Im now thinking its the router, but its weird because my xbox, ipod and my other computer's internet all work fine, reall fast.

RE: Router Lan problem by foaly on 09-04-2008 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Im now thinking its the router, but its weird because my xbox, ipod and my other computer's internet all work fine, reall fast.
Occam's razor says it's not the router...
RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
quote:
Occam's razor says it's not the router...
What could it be then? When i diagnosed the problem it said something about unable to ping primary address 192.168.1.1, what does that mean?
RE: Router Lan problem by Jesus on 09-04-2008 at 05:34 PM

Have you tried different cables and router ports after your dad took it to the shop?
If it's a seperate ethernet card (not an on-board one) try if it works in another pci slot or in one of your other computers.

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
Have you tried different cables and router ports after your dad took it to the shop?
If it's a seperate ethernet card (not an on-board one) try if it works in another pci slot or in one of your other computers.
I have tried 2 different cables and all the ports on my router, still the same outcome.
And from what i can see i dont have any more pci slots available. I dont reall want to take it out as they have put a sticker on it so that if you take it out, it tears or something which then voids my warranty.
RE: Router Lan problem by Spunky on 09-04-2008 at 06:40 PM

quote:
I dont reall want to take it out as they have put a sticker on it so that if you take it out, it tears or something which then voids my warranty.

I've never heard of voiding your components warranty by removing it... Might void the work the did to it, meaning you can't say it's their fault I suppose :s
RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
I dont reall want to take it out as they have put a sticker on it so that if you take it out, it tears or something which then voids my warranty.

I've never heard of voiding your components warranty by removing it... Might void the work the did to it, meaning you can't say it's their fault I suppose :s
I'd rather get my dad to take it back and play the "You already fixed this computer once" thing and try and get them to fix whatever has gone wrong for free.
RE: Router Lan problem by Voldemort on 09-04-2008 at 07:33 PM

router firmware issue? set factory defaults?

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
router firmware issue? set factory defaults?
Tried that but thanks. Hopefully my dad can get it fixed tomorrow at the shop and ill tell you guys what was wrong with it.
BTW, as i said above, when i diagnosed what was wrong, it said something about unable to ping primary address 192.168.1.1, what does that mean?
RE: Router Lan problem by Voldemort on 09-04-2008 at 09:04 PM

how long is the DHCP lease for?

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 09:04 PM

quote:
how long is the DHCP lease for?
Umm what? How can i check that?
RE: Router Lan problem by Voldemort on 09-04-2008 at 09:06 PM

Look for DHCP in your router's web-based menu? (that's where you're supposed to have done the factory reset)... the dhcp is a long shot anyway.

RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Look for DHCP in your router's web-based menu? (that's where you're supposed to have done the factory reset)... the dhcp is a long shot anyway.
I did do the reset on the router page but i thought you found out the DHCp lease on your computer newtowrk connections oh well.
Anyways its 3600 seconds
RE: Router Lan problem by Voldemort on 09-04-2008 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Anyways its 3600 seconds
make it longer.... a day or two would be better
RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-04-2008 at 09:29 PM

quote:
quote:
Anyways its 3600 seconds
make it longer.... a day or two would be better
Just tried it, didnt work :(
RE: Router Lan problem by Jimbo on 09-05-2008 at 02:41 PM

Dad got a home visit from the shop today while i was at school. They said it was something to do with conflicting IPs but its all working now so im happy :D