Shoutbox

Credit Card Warning - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Credit Card Warning (/showthread.php?tid=85796)

Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 09-06-2008 at 12:42 AM

I was wondering how do you remove the message "Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation." from your chat window.

I have Googled for a solution for ages but I am running Windows Vista and the main solution of editing the registry by adding the string IMWarning to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\Policies" does not seen to apply to Vista as MessengerService only contains "Clients" and "SessionManager" there is no "Policies"

I have Messenger Discovery installed and set it to remove all advertisements but it is still there. I also tried the A-Patch but I still have this warning.

Is there any other method to remove this credit card warning?

RE: Credit Card Warning by ryxdp on 09-06-2008 at 01:19 AM

I'm pretty sure it just goes away after a while, perhaps after a certain number of conversations held.

Alternatively, try creating the "Policies" key, and then add the IMWarning string.

Hope this helps :)

RE: Credit Card Warning by MeEtc on 09-06-2008 at 02:00 AM

The key you want to add/modify is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<msnid>

Key name: WarningMsgCount
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 5

your msnid number can be calculated here:
http://gifpaste.org/dev/msgrid/

RE: Credit Card Warning by CookieRevised on 09-06-2008 at 10:16 AM

Everything is explained in detail in this 4 year old post:
CookieRevised's reply to MsgPlus rock!  ???

RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-01-2008 at 10:51 PM

Sorry for the delayed response been away for a while.

Well thanks for the link but if you look at the last posts in that topic I have the same problems as the posters do there and no solution was ever made.

I have tried setting both "WarningMsgCount" and "IntroShownCount" to various numbers (5 and higher). Which is successful in removing the message. The only downside is that the next time I sign into messenger the "WarningMsgCount" resets to 0 and the message comes back.

RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-03-2008 at 06:06 PM

anyone?

RE: Credit Card Warning by roflmao456 on 10-03-2008 at 10:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tanith0709
anyone?
what i do is just open and close conversations until it's gone :P
RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-03-2008 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
quote:
anyone?
what i do is just open and close conversations until it's gone :P

lol ye that's one way but there has to be some way to stop WarningMsgCount from resetting to 0 each time you sign on (Basically a matter of convenience).
RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-09-2008 at 05:23 PM

So by the vast number of replies I'm getting I assume that there currently is no solution to this.

RE: Credit Card Warning by Spunky on 10-10-2008 at 06:17 AM

quote:
lol ye that's one way but there has to be some way to stop WarningMsgCount from resetting to 0 each time you sign on (Basically a matter of convenience).

It doesn't reset to 0 each time you sign on; maybe it resets the first time you use it in a new location...
RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-11-2008 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:

It doesn't reset to 0 each time you sign on; maybe it resets the first time you use it in a new location...

Well unless I am seeing things it does reset to 0 each time I sign in. Hell I even kept the registry open set WarningMsgCount to 5 which removed the message, completely exited  Windows Live, ran Windows Live again, Signed on and WarningMsgCount was back to being 0 and so the message was back again. I believe that pretty much describes the definition of "reset". I only have 1 user account on this computer to.

I am come across other people with this exact same issue on other forums and even on topics on this forum and on every single one of them nobody ever responds with something helpful.
RE: RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Vilkku on 10-11-2008 at 01:22 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well unless I am seeing things it does reset to 0 each time I sign in. Hell I even kept the registry open set WarningMsgCount to 5 which removed the message, completely exited  Windows Live, ran Windows Live again, Signed on and WarningMsgCount was back to being 0 and so the message was back again. I believe that pretty much describes the definition of "reset". I only have 1 user account on this computer to.

I am come across other people with this exact same issue on other forums and even on topics on this forum and on every single one of them nobody ever responds with something helpful.
Try setting the permissions of the reg key so that it can't be changed by the system? I haven't tried this, but worth a shot?
RE: Credit Card Warning by Jarrod on 10-11-2008 at 01:42 PM

what i was thinking of doing is writing a script to set the value to 0 on messenger open but i didn't get very far as it appears i do not have the ability to write to the whole registry just keys specific to plus am i right?

RE: RE: RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-11-2008 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
quote:
quote:

Try setting the permissions of the reg key so that it can't be changed by the system? I haven't tried this, but worth a shot?

Right now the only options I have is to Modify, Modify Binary Data (both is just the value its set at), Rename and Delete (comes back if deleted). I can do Edit>>Permissions but I cannot see anyway to prevent the system from being able to change one registry value.
RE: Credit Card Warning by haydos on 10-11-2008 at 04:31 PM

If this is a one off problem that it resets to 0 every time, surely someone could make a bandaid fix type script which quickly opens and closes 5 conversations upon signing in? While it's not exactly the best way to go about it, it solves the individual's problem.

RE: Credit Card Warning by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 01:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
If this is a one off problem that it resets to 0 every time, surely someone could make a bandaid fix type script which quickly opens and closes 5 conversations upon signing in? While it's not exactly the best way to go about it, it solves the individual's problem.
or my suggestion if it's possible
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
what i was thinking of doing is writing a script to set the value to 0 on messenger open but i didn't get very far as it appears i do not have the ability to write to the whole registry just keys specific to plus am i right?

as i think it resets each time u log on at a different location so mine always resets:(
RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 10-19-2008 at 10:48 PM

So has anyone made any progress on a solution.

RE: Credit Card Warning by elach on 11-04-2008 at 11:44 PM

I have the same problem.  It keeps coming back even after I change the message code at IMWarningMsg, so I tried deleting the WarningMsgCount, it just made another one.  Then I tried putting a variable value in there instead of a DWord, but it just changed it back.

I knew my other computer didn't have the problem, so I tried copying everything over from that registry.  There was 1 key that was missing that seems to have fixed the problem.
Using Regedit, go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\2616624179 <--Substitute this number for whatever one your account is, this number is your msn account.

Then right click, add new DWord, Name = SMSPromoCount  Value = 2
(Some people have 5, I have 2, don't know what that does.)

Make sure you also change IMWarningCount to 5.
SMSPromoCount stops it from resetting, but if it's at 2 or 3, it will have to count UP to 5 before it freezes.

Afterwards, it shouldn't be there anymore.  Give it a try.

(If you aren't sure about which MSN account yours is, and you have several, either change them all, or try this program.  I found it on the forum, works great, no virus/trojans.)
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=15...d=132217#pid132217

RE: Credit Card Warning by jacko999 on 11-05-2008 at 11:18 AM

mess patch removes it :)

RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 11-06-2008 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by elach
I have the same problem.  It keeps coming back even after I change the message code at IMWarningMsg, so I tried deleting the WarningMsgCount, it just made another one.  Then I tried putting a variable value in there instead of a DWord, but it just changed it back.

I knew my other computer didn't have the problem, so I tried copying everything over from that registry.  There was 1 key that was missing that seems to have fixed the problem.
Using Regedit, go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\2616624179 <--Substitute this number for whatever one your account is, this number is your msn account.

SMSPromoCount stops it from resetting, but if it's at 2 or 3, it will have to count UP to 5 before it freezes.

(If you aren't sure about which MSN account yours is, and you have several, either change them all, or try this program.  I found it on the forum, works great, no virus/trojans.)

That solution works perfectly :)
RE: Credit Card Warning by lizard.boy on 11-07-2008 at 07:48 PM

If anyone would like to try my script, I've (hopefully) come up with a solution to this problem.

If you can test this, and tell me if you still get the warnings, and if so. Under what circumstances the warnings still appear.

Edit:  Attachment Removed

RE: Credit Card Warning by Spunky on 11-08-2008 at 02:39 AM

Wouldn't a reg file do this fine?

RE: Credit Card Warning by Jarrod on 11-08-2008 at 04:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
yes but then you'd have to use it each time wlm starts cos mine tends to reset, with a script you can add the reg file on start up.
i think
RE: Credit Card Warning by lizard.boy on 11-08-2008 at 08:24 PM

quote:
quote:
yes but then you'd have to use it each time wlm starts cos mine tends to reset, with a script you can add the reg file on start up.
i think

That's exactly it. Somehow it's still resetting, so I'm not sure what event i should be firing it on.
RE: Credit Card Warning by elach on 11-09-2008 at 10:42 PM

I thought a regfile that did it automatically would be a great idea, so I started studying how to do it...until I realized it was impossible (or at least I don't have enough coding experience to know how).

The reason is the MSN-ID, everyone has a different ID number with MSN which correlates to their email address.  Since I don't know what your MSN-ID is, I can't create a reg file that inputs code there.  Unless there's a funtion that puts it into all numerical fields.

RE: Credit Card Warning by Spunky on 11-10-2008 at 06:51 AM

quote:
I thought a regfile that did it automatically would be a great idea, so I started studying how to do it...until I realized it was impossible (or at least I don't have enough coding experience to know how).

The reason is the MSN-ID, everyone has a different ID number with MSN which correlates to their email address.  Since I don't know what your MSN-ID is, I can't create a reg file that inputs code there.  Unless there's a funtion that puts it into all numerical fields.

There is a function written in JScript (amongst other languages) that can do it.

I thought adding the one key back fixed the problem?
RE: Credit Card Warning by Jarrod on 11-10-2008 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
quote:
quote:
i think

That's exactly it. Somehow it's still resetting, so I'm not sure what event i should be firing it on.
try something else cos mine still doesn't work:P
RE: RE: Credit Card Warning by Tanith0709 on 11-11-2008 at 06:58 PM

quote:

The above solution works btw
RE: Credit Card Warning by elach on 11-13-2008 at 03:25 AM

Yup, thanks Tanith.  We're just trying to make a program so that people who don't know how to edit their registry or are too afraid to (since it could kill your system) can still fix the problem.

RE: Credit Card Warning by lizard.boy on 11-13-2008 at 03:36 PM

I have a newer version of my script which i have sent to MenthiX, which incorporates the registry key elach has found.

http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/486-NoMoreCreditCardWarning/