Shoutbox

Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? (/showthread.php?tid=85803)

Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? by vanillaicecream on 09-06-2008 at 12:17 PM

I want to know if people can tell that I'm online while appearing offline? or if they can get an alert everytime i sign in as appear offline???? because people can do that on yahoo....can they do that on msn too???? i heard msn discovery does it??? is there a plug in or a software that gives me my privacy????? i really want to just sign in as appear offline sometimes without people knowing -.-

RE: Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? by Jarrod on 09-06-2008 at 01:12 PM

it is unlikely that they do, but there are some less known of ways that sometimes give you clues that someone is appearing offline, most of these are being fixed if they haven't been sorted out already, there was a bug with a previous version of plus that a custom sound would play if you asked it to when someone appeared offline, but i believe this to be fixed

RE: Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? by aNILEator on 09-06-2008 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
it is unlikely that they do, but there are some less known of ways that sometimes give you clues that someone is appearing offline, most of these are being fixed if they haven't been sorted out already, there was a bug with a previous version of plus that a custom sound would play if you asked it to when someone appeared offline, but i believe this to be fixed

There's a few other ways but yeah breach of privacy and really not even worth bothering with so we'll keep schtum :-#
RE: Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? by Lou on 09-06-2008 at 02:55 PM

There's no 100% sure way to know if someone is appearing offline, so you have nothing to worry about :).

RE: Can people really tell that I signed in as appear offline? by Spunky on 09-06-2008 at 03:58 PM

You can tell if a contact is online,  but you can't for example get the information on specific contacts on demand. It would only be if they initiated a session with you. So it is very unlikely.