Shoutbox

[?] DVD drive won't work with Vista - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista (/showthread.php?tid=85870)

[?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Spunky on 09-10-2008 at 02:59 PM

Ok, sounds simple; it's not compatible... So let me explain :p

I was updating to Vista from XP to try and stop my friend from downloading spyware. After updating he calls me the next day to say his DVD drive isn't working. I go up and try out my drive from my dead PC that is definitely compatible with Vista. It still doesn't work. I assumed it would be the ribbon cable (it could have caught in one of the fans) but I couldn't test it straight away because the HDD is SATA2. So I come home and get one of my IDE cables, but it still doesn't work, not even showing up in the BIOS using the auto-detect.

So I decided to roll him back to XP to see if it is just a Vista issue (which I highly doubt anyway). Obviously though, he doesn't have a DVD drive now to install from.

So, question 1: Any ideas what would suddenly cause it to stop registering drives

and

question 2: just in case, how can I get it back to XP (I don't care about losing data by the way, there is not much on there at this point

RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Menthix on 09-10-2008 at 03:16 PM

The BIOS is independent from the OS. If the BIOS doesn't detect the drive (but did detect it before) i assume the drive is somehow broken. Can you try the DVD drive in another machine?

RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Spunky on 09-10-2008 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
The BIOS is independent from the OS. If the BIOS doesn't detect the drive (but did detect it before) i assume the drive is somehow broken. Can you try the DVD drive in another machine?

I know the BIOS is independant which is why it's so unusual. The drive I replaced it with it with DID work in my PC with Vista so I don't think thats it either. The chances of the two drives being broke are slim...

RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by matty on 09-10-2008 at 05:27 PM

IDE controller on the board? Jumper settings on the drive itself?

RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Spunky on 09-10-2008 at 05:30 PM

Used different IDE sockets on the board and tried differnet combinations of jumper settings. I can't see any conceivable reason for it not to work

RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Adeptus on 09-11-2008 at 01:21 AM

Make sure the onboard IDE port the drive is connected to hasn't somehow become disabled in BIOS setup.  Does it it show up in Device Manager?

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I was updating to Vista from XP to try and stop my friend from downloading spyware.
Fail.  Upgrade him to OS X instead.
RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Spunky on 09-11-2008 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Fail.  Upgrade him to OS X instead.

He can barely use a PC and he's been using them since Win98 :p OSX would just blow his mind. Plus he mainly downloads films and burns them so it's easier to keep him using uTorrent and WinAviConverter lol

Hmmm... I checked through the BIOS (yesterday... or the day before, depends if you class today as yesterday or tomorrow :p) and didn't see any method of turning the IDE ports off
RE: [?] DVD drive won't work with Vista by Jarrod on 09-11-2008 at 07:29 AM

shouldn't be any of those since it worked with xp installed, put a hard disk with xp on it as the master and see if the drives work then