Shoutbox

graphics card probs. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: graphics card probs. (/showthread.php?tid=85881)

graphics card probs. by Hybrid on 09-11-2008 at 08:26 AM

Hey guys, I got a new graphics card (Geforce 9800 GTX+) which is a BIG upgrade from my Geforce 8500 GT. I'm using Vista, yeah... I know, and my windows score... thing used to rate my comp as a 3.5, but now has dropped to a 2.8 just because of the card. Normally I wouldn't care but I'm concerned if my comp is actually really detecting it. It does come up as NVIDIA geForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX om Device manager.

Bonus points for anyone who can help with this extra problem:

My new card is now blocking 2/4 sata inputs on mother board ATM I don't have a working disc drive. No possible way to put a SATA under it since it wont fit in the PCIE slot, so now I have to either sacrafice my back up hard drive or just live without a disc drive. Obvious choice there, but does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve me having a dead peice of equipment taking up space in my comp? thanks guys.

RE: graphics card probs. by Jarrod on 09-11-2008 at 09:25 AM

put the cd drive in install the driver turn it off and put the card in?

RE: graphics card probs. by Menthix on 09-11-2008 at 09:29 AM

Actually, just download the driver online. Chances are the driver on the CD is outdated anyway. I rarely ever use a driver CD for anything. Before you install the new driver, uninstall the old one. Also make sure the old card isn't showing anywhere in the device manager.

As for the ports being blocked, could a 90 degrees angled connector help out?
[Image: BTE1743.jpg]

RE: graphics card probs. by Hybrid on 09-11-2008 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Actually, just download the driver online. Chances are the driver on the CD is outdated anyway. I rarely ever use a driver CD for anything.

Before you install the new driver, uninstall the old one. Also make sure the old card isn't showing anywhere in the device manager.

As for drivers I did update my new one.

But I forgot to uninstall the old!!!! What do I do now? It isn't showing in device manager or anywhere, but a lot of my games are extremely choppy!
RE: graphics card probs. by Jesus on 09-11-2008 at 10:01 AM

you can make it reappear in the device manager by following these steps:
1. open a command prompt window
2. type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without the quotes) and hit enter
3. type "start devmgmt.msc" (again, without the quotes) and hit enter
4. in the device manager that appeared, click the "View" menu and choose "Show hidden devices"
5. uninstall your old video card, which should have reappeared as a so called "ghost device"
6. ?????
7. profit!

note that after you close the windows you opened with these steps, the environment variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices is automatically reset to 0.

RE: graphics card probs. by Vilkku on 09-11-2008 at 10:37 AM

To install and uninstall nVidia drivers, I'd recommend staying away from the device manager and simply use the Program manager on the Control Panel (aka Add/remove programs).