Shoutbox

How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? (/showthread.php?tid=85894)

How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Jimbo on 09-11-2008 at 06:10 PM

When my downstairs computer connects wirelesssly to the upstairs router, for some reason it hogs about 90% of the bandwith making the internet virtually unusuable upstairs. Is there any way to limit the amount of usage it can use?
I have a belkin N router if that helps.

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Ezra on 09-11-2008 at 07:53 PM

If it has QoS then yes, search for it and set it so that your computers all get the same share of the bandwidth.

Else put DD-WRT on your router, that has QoS management.

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Voldemort on 09-11-2008 at 08:22 PM

see what's whoring the bandwidth and fix it?

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Jimbo on 09-11-2008 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
If it has QoS then yes, search for it and set it so that your computers all get the same share of the bandwidth.

Else put DD-WRT on your router, that has QoS management.
Doesnt look like it supports my router :(
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
see what's whoring the bandwidth and fix it?
I cant see what it is, i mean nothing is running except the windows processes, AVG, and Spy Sweeper. But even when i exit those 2 programs it still hogs everything.

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by vaccination on 09-11-2008 at 08:36 PM

How do you know it hogs everything?

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Jimbo on 09-11-2008 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
How do you know it hogs everything?
Because when its connected my xbox's internet and my internet goes really, really slow, but when i disconnect it, its all fine.
RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by Vilkku on 09-11-2008 at 08:56 PM

You could use a program like NetMeter or just the Network tab in the process explorer to see how much data the computer is actually sending and receiving. Unless you are downloading something (ie using a constant, fast connection), it should not be using all bandwidth all the time.

RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by NiteMare on 09-11-2008 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
How to lower bandwith usage on one computer?
turn it off
RE: How to lower bandwith usage on one computer? by vaccination on 09-12-2008 at 02:09 PM

It won't be using 90% of your bandwidth when it's idle. Check for a virus using it or something.