Shoutbox

Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list (/showthread.php?tid=85930)

Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by borath on 09-14-2008 at 04:41 AM

I used to get this warning when I get an IM from someone not on my contact list. It said something like, you're getting an incoming IM from someone that's not on your contact list, do you want to accept.

There was a box at the bottom that said, check if you don't want this message to appear again. I checked the box, but now I want to get those warnings back, anyone know how?

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by vaccination on 09-14-2008 at 08:19 AM

Is "Only people on my Allow List can see my status and send me messages" ticked? (Options > Privacy)

That's the only thing I can think of related to this, though I don't think I've ever had this message(probably because I block people when I delete them)

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by Spunky on 09-14-2008 at 12:03 PM

I could write a quick script later tonight that displays a message if they are not in your're contact list... Should be a 5 minute job :p

If you don't want people who haven't added to to be able to talk to you, follow vaccination's advice.

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by borath on 09-14-2008 at 02:33 PM

I know what you guys are referring to but that's not it. I'm referring to the popup warning you get if someone not on your contact list sends you a IM message. The warning message asks if you want to accept the message from someone not on your contact list.

The reason I don't want to block everyone who's not on my contact list from IM'ing me is if I give my MSN ID to someone, I want them to be able to message me if I don't have their ID on my contact list.

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by Spunky on 09-14-2008 at 06:46 PM

Try using this script... It should do what you want quite nicely :p

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by borath on 09-14-2008 at 09:41 PM

I'm not sure how you guys deal with this problem but any suggestions?

How do you get IM messages from contacts not on your contact list, but avoid getting annoying SPAM type of IM's?

It seems like MSN's option is block everyone that's not on your list. There doesn't seem to be a way to just block spammer types, is there a way to block certain domains?

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by Th3rmal on 09-14-2008 at 09:49 PM

borath did you try SpunkyLoveMuff's script?

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by borath on 09-14-2008 at 10:06 PM

No, what exactly does the script do?

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by Spunky on 09-14-2008 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by borath
No, what exactly does the script do?

If someone is not in your list, it give you the option to talk to them or block them and close the window again.
RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by borath on 09-14-2008 at 10:33 PM

Cool, how do I install it? Where does the program install itself? How do I install it if I decide to later?

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by Spunky on 09-14-2008 at 10:38 PM

First, you need Messenger Plus! Live. I'm assuming you have it already.

Then, download the script by clicking Save and double clicking the file, or click Run.

Either way, you should be presented with an "Import Script" window. Tick the box and click ok to import it.

That's all there is too it, it runs in the background.

If you want to remove it later, goto the Plus! menu, select preferences and navigate to scripts  (on the left). Instructions from there should be fairly simple

RE: Turn on Warning for IMs from Contact not on list by ahmetgns on 09-17-2008 at 07:03 AM

borath, to get the warning you are mentioning back, do the following:

1- Open Registry Editor (To open it: Start > Run > type regedit > OK
2- Go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
3- In the values list, find "DSBlockAllOthers" and double click on it.
4- Change its value to "00 00 00 00" and OK.

EDIT: or just delete that value.