Shoutbox

[suggestion] dynamic skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] dynamic skin (/showthread.php?tid=85934)

[suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-14-2008 at 10:41 AM

i've been thinking there are some skin requests for some rather random things, i think might be a project for a scripting/skinning team but a script that changes elements in the skin based on user input, for example colours backgrounds and pictures

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Spunky on 09-14-2008 at 12:05 PM

I'm sure somebody could make a script that could edit OpenLive ;) It would be able to change colours and all the images etc.

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by aNILEator on 09-14-2008 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I'm sure somebody could make a script that could edit OpenLive (Smilie) It would be able to change colours and all the images etc.
This is why some people want Plus Bundles, scripts that can effect or enhance skins etc
RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Willz on 09-14-2008 at 12:51 PM

If anyone wants to do that then be my guest, I wanted Open Live to lead to something like that once/if Plus skin and script bundles were made a reality.

Open Live is pretty straight forward to edit. Though WLM 9 will probably rain in on the project.

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Basilis on 09-14-2008 at 01:08 PM

I think it is great idea. Let's see who is going to be the scripter that will take up the project. :)

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-15-2008 at 06:43 AM

ok i'll do it but it'll be compiled python live with it, skins aren't indentation Dependant are they?

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Spunky on 09-15-2008 at 08:35 AM

Its is probably best to wait until WLM 9.0 (unless you're gonna make 2 versions anyway)

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-15-2008 at 09:13 AM

so is this valid code?

code:
<SkinInfo Version="1.1">
    <Information>
        <Name>my skin</Name>
        <Description>a skin created with Jarrod's skin customiser, based on open live</Description>
        <AboutUrl>website</AboutUrl>
        <Version>1.5</Version>
        <Screenshot>
            <File>shot.png</File>
        </Screenshot>
    <Compatibility>
         <MsgVersion Major="8" Minor="5/>
    </Compatibility>
    </Infomation>
<Options>
<Messenger>
<ResetUserColour/>
</Messenger><PlusSkin>
    ResGroup>
        <PlusVersion Major="4" Minor"60"/>
        <InterfaceDir>PlusWindows</InterfaceDir>
</ResGroup>
</PlusSkin>
</SkinInfo>

sneak peak at source code
code:
def header():
    version = "1.1"
    name = "my skin"
    des = "a skin created with Jarrod's skin customiser, based on open live"
    website = "website"
    version_info = "1.5"
    screenshot = "shot.png"
    compat_maj = "8"
    compat_mi = "5"
    nfo1 = '<SkinInfo Version="' + version + '">\n\t<Information>\n\t\t<Name>' + name +'</Name>'
    nfo2 = '\n\t\t<Description>' + des + '</Description>\n\t\t<AboutUrl>' + website + '</AboutUrl>'
    nfo3 = '\n\t\t<Version>' + version_info + '</Version>\n\t\t<Screenshot>\n\t\t\t<File>' + screenshot + '</File>\n\t\t</Screenshot>'
    nfo4 = '\n\t<Compatibility>\n\t\t <MsgVersion Major="'+ compat_maj + '" Minor="' + compat_mi + '/>' + '\n\t</Compatibility>\n    '
    nfo5 = '</Infomation>'
    nfo = nfo1 + nfo2 + nfo3 + nfo4 + nfo5

return nfo

to make it eaiser to skin wlm 9 do we have full lists of skinable elements, so i can map the list in python?
RE: RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Willz on 09-15-2008 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
so is this valid code?
code:
<SkinInfo Version="1.1">
    <Information>
        <Name>my skin</Name>
        <Description>a skin created with Jarrod's skin customiser, based on open live</Description>
        <AboutUrl>website</AboutUrl>
        <Version>1.5</Version>
        <Screenshot>
            <File>shot.png</File>
        </Screenshot>
    <Compatibility>
         <MsgVersion Major="8" Minor="5/>
    </Compatibility>
    </Infomation>
<Options>
<Messenger>
<ResetUserColour/>
</Messenger><PlusSkin>
    ResGroup>
        <PlusVersion Major="4" Minor"60"/>
        <InterfaceDir>PlusWindows</InterfaceDir>
</ResGroup>
</PlusSkin>
</SkinInfo>

sneak peak at source code
code:
def header():
    version = "1.1"
    name = "my skin"
    des = "a skin created with Jarrod's skin customiser, based on open live"
    website = "website"
    version_info = "1.5"
    screenshot = "shot.png"
    compat_maj = "8"
    compat_mi = "5"
    nfo1 = '<SkinInfo Version="' + version + '">\n\t<Information>\n\t\t<Name>' + name +'</Name>'
    nfo2 = '\n\t\t<Description>' + des + '</Description>\n\t\t<AboutUrl>' + website + '</AboutUrl>'
    nfo3 = '\n\t\t<Version>' + version_info + '</Version>\n\t\t<Screenshot>\n\t\t\t<File>' + screenshot + '</File>\n\t\t</Screenshot>'
    nfo4 = '\n\t<Compatibility>\n\t\t <MsgVersion Major="'+ compat_maj + '" Minor="' + compat_mi + '/>' + '\n\t</Compatibility>\n    '
    nfo5 = '</Infomation>'
    nfo = nfo1 + nfo2 + nfo3 + nfo4 + nfo5

return nfo

to make it eaiser to skin wlm 9 do we have full lists of skinable elements, so i can map the list in python?

Um the options tag not being closed will cause issues and the resgroup tag isn't opened properly.

I would seriously not bother with wlm 9 just yet just because we do not know for how much longer our info on it will be relevant (doesn't seem like it will be for much longer)

Skininfo version is also wrong. its either a 1 or a 2, if its a 2 it means it needs plus 4.60 or higher.
RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-15-2008 at 10:11 AM

sweet, thanx i missed the options tag but i got the res group already plus i had no idea what the version was
lol thanx for that 2
edit:
that options tag will complicate things
can someone help me out for the sections in a skin?
also anyone who wants to help out gimme a yell, ajlangford[a_t]hotmail[dot]com
i really need help from a skinner if we want this to work given i have no idea what i'm doing

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-17-2008 at 06:13 AM

bump/update,
if anyone care to design a mock up interface in vb or something, so i can see what i'm trying to achieve,

at willz, spunky and mynetx:
i plan on using lists from txt files for all the elements so it is an easy update, the positive for using python is u just add something  to the lists and the for loop will create the element

unless i have ppl willing to help i'm going to have to postpone /abandon the project till around xmas

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by NanaFreak on 09-17-2008 at 06:16 AM

quote:
bump/update,
if anyone care to design a mock up interface in vb or something, so i can see what i'm trying to achieve,

i plan on using lists from txt files for all the elements so it is an easy update, the positive for using python is u just add something  to the lists and the for loop will create the element

unless i have ppl willing to help i'm going to have to postpone /abandon the project till around xmas
jarrod why the fuck are you using python?? just learn js... its alot simpler than python =\

also why would someone make a vb interface when they can make a interface with plus??
RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-17-2008 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
quote:
bump/update,

jarrod why the fuck are you using python?? just learn js... its alot simpler than python =\

i dislike the {}'s in js and i can never get it right + python is more fun to code(i find anyway)

if you want to write it in jscript, you can but i won't be able to help, and i think it will be harder to upgrade with new releases of messenger compared to the way i plan to keep mine up to date

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 01:29 AM

so what is it you need exactly from us skinners?

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Jarrod on 09-18-2008 at 02:03 AM

well done in anything you fancy, what would you like the gui to look like?
and
then a list of off the fields i need to generate, for example the do i have to generate the options field or what not

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 02:31 AM

well since its going to be something that generates a simple skin I would think about having the following things to be able to edit:

Sign In Window Background
Add picture on top of background in sign in window (requires adding new element to UIFile):
Contact List Background
Dashboard Background (would apply to other windows as well)
Add picture behind contact list (kind of like lv back)(requires adding new element to UIFile)
Chat window dashboard background
Chat window default background
Alert background (sign in and large alerts)
Contact card heading background (requires adding new element to UIFile)

That's off the top of my head, sorta looking as to how the new beta affects skinning atm so I am a bit distracted :P The UI I would imaging as just having a screenshot of the window you are applying things to and then options down the side.

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Basilis on 09-23-2008 at 03:07 PM

I found this on MsnTribe. It is called SkinPlus and lets you customize some things by changing images.
I think this is what your program should be like Jarrod. Of course, with many more options, a nicer design and written in English.

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Spunky on 09-23-2008 at 03:24 PM

I've decided to help out making this into a script (if help is wanted)

RE: [suggestion] dynamic skin by Basilis on 09-23-2008 at 03:26 PM

I will also offer any help if I can for the skinning side of the project.