Shoutbox

Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta (/showthread.php?tid=85989)

Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Nagamasa on 09-17-2008 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
Here's an ongoing list of changes and new bits in the new Windows Live Messenger 9 Beta (14.0.5027.908) that went live today (see post below):

- Changes we mentioned before when the first screenshots appeared: change your dashboard background ("scenes"), big inbox icon to the right, Personal Status Message separated from "music you're currently listening to", colored display picture frames to show current status, new buddy list icons, What's new feed and relocated promotional tabs.
- Favorites and Groups features, left-aligned display pictures in the convo window, added Segoe UI font... All as previously discussed here.

New discoveries:

- Hover-over contact options menu (Send an IM, send an e-mail, etc.)
- New Layout tab in Tools > Options allows you to customize the appearance of your contact list window (screenshot).
- New (softer) sounds for contact signing in, new e-mail, incoming/outgoing voice or video call, new Windows Live Alert and nudge.
- System sounds now have the same editor as signature sounds.
- Links in display names are not clickable. Those in PSMs are.
- Say goodbye to "Out to lunch", "In a call" and "Be right back". The Messenger statuses are now limited to "Available", "Away", "Busy" or "Appear offline".
- New "What I'm listening to" icon.
- Chat history button added to conversation window.
- Sharing folders feature makes room for Windows Live Skydrive: Click Files > Publish files online in the conversation windows. NOTE: Clicking "View your online files" in the hover menu on your own Display Picture opens a faulty link (skydrive.live-int.com instead of skydrive.live.com)
- New Display Picture options (currently greyed out): Webcam snapshots and Tile with moods.
- Clicking your Display Picture in the main window allows you to change your Display Picture again (in 8.5 this just showed your contact card).
- Word wheel now offers Search for profiles and Live Search options.

Download

I'm using it right now, and I really like the new sounds :D I don't like the new icons that much though...I like mine better :P

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-17-2008 at 11:59 AM

* Spunky haz... Goes to test

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by absorbation on 09-17-2008 at 12:00 PM

45 minutes after trying to install, and Windows Live Installer crashed ...

Why do Microsoft create such anti user-friendly software :(.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by MattyRid on 09-17-2008 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
45 minutes after trying to install, and Windows Live Installer crashed ...

Why do Microsoft create such anti user-friendly software :(.
or at least allow me to install the thing? I can't even seem to get the download over nicely, always seems to be stuffed, if only they could release individual msi files as well just in case :@
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by aNILEator on 09-17-2008 at 12:06 PM

why do they bother to invite us to private tests then release before even having those tests?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Islander on 09-17-2008 at 12:10 PM

ATTENTION when installing this software.

1) Here on my machine (Vista x64 Ultimate German) it deleted all restore points and created a new one from scratch in the middle of installing the suite (not at the beginning), making it impossible to restore the system to a pre-install state.

2) It is NOT possible to uninstall this software anymore once it's on your machine, when you click on the uninstall icon nothing at all happens (restoring is useless, see point 1).

3) Reinstalling the old Windows Live Suite doesn't work either. The installer returns some sort of fatal error message.

4) It is NOT compatible with the actual Messenger Plus! (although that was clear anyway, how could Patchou make a release in hours hehehe).

I guess I'll have to delete it manually and go through all registry entries. Microsoft needs new programmers and testers, period.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by roflmao456 on 09-17-2008 at 12:13 PM

whoo..
could update my skin now :p

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Andylongi on 09-17-2008 at 12:22 PM

I will download it when Plus and all my favorite skins will work with it.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Jesus on 09-17-2008 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Islander

1) Here on my machine (Vista x64 Ultimate German) it deleted all restore points and created a new one from scratch in the middle of installing the suite (not at the beginning), making it impossible to restore the system to a pre-install state.

2) It is NOT possible to uninstall this software anymore once it's on your machine, when you click on the uninstall icon nothing at all happens (restoring is useless, see point 1).

3) Reinstalling the old Windows Live Suite doesn't work either. The installer returns some sort of fatal error message.

4) It is NOT compatible with the actual Messenger Plus! (although that was clear anyway, how could Patchou make a release in hours hehehe).

I guess I'll have to delete it manually and go through all registry entries. Microsoft needs new programmers and testers, period.
sounds like a job for my sandbox virtual machine :)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by aNILEator on 09-17-2008 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andylongi
I will download it when Plus and all my favorite skins will work with it.
Probably won't, lots changed in 9 and we're all a bit stumped again. I'm waiting for results of skinning comp to announce my future in regards to skinning. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-17-2008 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
why do they bother to invite us to private tests then release before even having those tests?
I agree with you there completely mate, makes no sense, i havent even heard anything from anyone about the private beta,
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Felu on 09-17-2008 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft Connect
Windows Live beta nomination survey   | Pending

17 days since I was invited to take that survey... still not accepted :(.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-17-2008 at 01:01 PM

Yay... i guess :p. I'm in a class, wil check it out later.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Auph on 09-17-2008 at 01:03 PM

Ya don't have to get accepted to use Windows Live Messenger 2009!

@ Patchou, will there be a compatible patch of MP!L ?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-17-2008 at 01:09 PM

There will not be a compatible version of Plus! before the official release of WLM 2009. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Th3rmal on 09-17-2008 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Auph
Ya don't have to get accepted to use Windows Live Messenger 2009!

@ Patchou, will there be a compatible patch of MP!L ?
Most likely not until there is a final stable version (ie. not BETA)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-17-2008 at 01:19 PM

Can anyone post screenshots of the new features and the new design if the previous one changed? I don't want to update so if anyone updated already and can post some screenies, it would be very useful. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by absorbation on 09-17-2008 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Can anyone post screenshots of the new features and the new design if the previous one changed? I don't want to update so if anyone updated already and can post some screenies, it would be very useful. :)

http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/492-windows-liv...lic-beta-released/

Has a fair few screenshots :P.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Justin on 09-17-2008 at 01:29 PM

I like this version, I think I'll stick with it.

Edit: It even shows updates for people in your contact list but has blocked/deleted you :P

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by High Speed Chaser on 09-17-2008 at 01:39 PM

Doesn't work for me :(!

On my laptop as soon as a start messenger it comes up with messenger had to close, do you want to send an error report to Microsoft!

On my desktop it takes ages to sign in and then it just hangs on the sign in screen. With mail live, it also takes ages to sign in.

Anyone got any ideas?

RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Jesus on 09-17-2008 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
Originally posted by Islander

sounds like a job for my sandbox virtual machine :)

Just tried it, I have to say i quite like it.
It will take time to get used to it, but I think it'll be ok after that.
It's just that I can't live without Plus!, StuffPlug and A-patch, so I'll stick with 8.5 for now :)

As for the issues Islander posted:
1) I don't use system restore, so I can't comment on that.
2) It's definitely possible to uninstall the beta, just go to (the Vista equivalent of) Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Live Beta (all programs), click edit/remove and uncheck Windows Live Messenger to uninstall the software.
3) It's always been impossible to install an older version of WLM over a newer one. Following the uninstall procedure described in 2) should solve this problem.
4) As you said, that was clear anyway ;)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-17-2008 at 02:01 PM

Looks nicer that the previous design. Not that there is much difference but I think it is even more clean. The new features look great too. Thanks for the screenshots absorbation. Now that the beta came in its public phase, when do we expect the official release?

RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Islander on 09-17-2008 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus

Just tried it, I have to say i quite like it.
It will take time to get used to it, but I think it'll be ok after that.
It's just that I can't live without Plus!, StuffPlug and A-patch, so I'll stick with 8.5 for now :)

As for the issues Islander posted:
1) I don't use system restore, so I can't comment on that.
2) It's definitely possible to uninstall the beta, just go to (the Vista equivalent of) Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Live Beta (all programs), click edit/remove and uncheck Windows Live Messenger to uninstall the software.
3) It's always been impossible to install an older version of WLM over a newer one. Following the uninstall procedure described in 2) should solve this problem.
4) As you said, that was clear anyway ;)

Aye! Well, I now know why 2) would happen, after restarting the computer for the second time several updates would install. After that, the uninstall went just fine, before it didn't. So I'll just assume the install process was not finished yet (stupid system imho).
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-17-2008 at 02:16 PM

Any optimizations or is it more CPU-resource hungry than 8.5?

Also, did they fix the speed bug which the first leaked WLM9 version had when you were connecting from multiple places?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by absorbation on 09-17-2008 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, did they fix the speed bug which the first leaked WLM9 version had when you were connecting from multiple places?

That's a new feature actually :P.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-17-2008 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:

That's a new feature actually :P.
Yes, but it was buggy  (concerning the speed) :P
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Jimbo on 09-17-2008 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft Connect
Windows Live beta nomination survey   | Pending

17 days since I was invited to take that survey... still not accepted :(.
Same, but mine was about 13 days
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-17-2008 at 02:40 PM

On my laptop it asked me to exit the Task Scheduler Engine (taskeng.exe) before setup can continue :s.  No idea why... on my home PC taskeng.exe is running too, but didn't have to close it there.

Also, after reboot, started Messenger... came up with a Windows Installer window... and crashed. Started Messenger again and now new problems so far.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-17-2008 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
On my laptop it asked me to exit the Task Scheduler Engine (taskeng.exe) before setup can continue :s.  No idea why... on my home PC taskeng.exe is running too, but didn't have to close it there.

Also, after reboot, started Messenger... came up with a Windows Installer window... and crashed. Started Messenger again and now new problems so far.
On my computer it wanted me to close explorer.exe :P

Btw, the installer is stupid: I tried it on 2 different computers, and on both computers the installer would fail with error 80072ee6. I ended up installing it on a VM, and then, I grabbed the WLM installer and the contact installer and installed it on my real machine.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Animefan on 09-17-2008 at 03:46 PM

Worked fine to install on my computer.
Even in danish now, courtesy of mess.be

Though the Favourites "group" isn't there and it wont show all my custom smilies, people see them though, but messenger doesnt show them on my side

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Islander on 09-17-2008 at 03:52 PM

German download links:

http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/de/wlsetup-web.exe (Web installer)
http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/de/wlsetup-all.exe  (Full installer)

:)

Maybe Patchou makes an exception this time and adapts Plus! for this version, as this seems a "mayor" release and the Microsoft team doesn't [public] release many betas anyway... my guess is this will be the only one and be active until the final release.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by scrtmssgs on 09-17-2008 at 04:11 PM

I have the same problem with custom emoticons.. They don't appear when I'm typing, unless I type a few characters after them and then they randomly appear, but my contacts can see them fine :/

I think removing BRB as a status was pretty dumb to be honest.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Animefan on 09-17-2008 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scrtmssgs
I have the same problem with custom emoticons.. They don't appear when I'm typing, unless I type a few characters after them and then they randomly appear, but my contacts can see them fine :/

Exactly samee problem here!
Nice that im not the only one
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Davedoom on 09-17-2008 at 05:07 PM

Has anybody noticed how awfully quiet the new sounds are?
Or is it just me :S

Oh and The lack of the ability to change web cam settings whilst you are sending your cam to somebody.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by scrtmssgs on 09-17-2008 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davedoom
Has anybody noticed how awfully quiet the new sounds are?
Or is it just me :S
Same. They're really nice new sounds but very hard to hear, I've had to mix my computer's volume so that WLM is on like 50% volume and everything else is on 10%.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by riahc4 on 09-17-2008 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Quote - (Ahmz055 @ Sep 17 2008, 19:12)
I'm working on A-Patch as we speak.. give it a few hours.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Davedoom on 09-17-2008 at 05:28 PM

Do You think patchou will release a update to fix compatibility with this build considering as its a public beta?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by riahc4 on 09-17-2008 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davedoom
Do You think patchou will release a update to fix compatibility with this build considering as its a public beta?

Well he did it for the first time 9 came around I believe.

If it isnt too much trouble, he problably will.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Davedoom on 09-17-2008 at 05:40 PM

I hope he does i actually like this version of wlm yet id rather use 8.5 with msg plus rather than this version without maybe with enough request patchou would consider it

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by SMOOTH CRIMINAL on 09-17-2008 at 09:08 PM

can anyone give me the full offline english install ! instead of germany

ok ... got :

http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/en/wlsetup-all.exe

:D
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eljay on 09-17-2008 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SMOOTH CRIMINAL
can anyone give me the full offline english install ! instead of germany

http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/en/wlsetup-all.exe

edit: nyah, don't answer yourself :P
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Quantum on 09-17-2008 at 09:37 PM

135MB. Rather big for an Instant Messenger...

..Oh wait now it has to be full of un-needed features and missing ones that people would use much better. So it's a multi IM with incld features that no IM has had before :P

I'll most likely stick with 8.5 all the way to 10.0 :P

---

:im: just trying to say some of the things the added to 9.0 can be replaced with much better and efficient features.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-17-2008 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
It's the full Windows Live packages... you can pick which products you want. If you don't want to download unnecessary bytes, get the web installer (which works same way as the 8.5 installer).
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eljay on 09-17-2008 at 09:51 PM

quote:

It's not just Messenger. It's Windows Live Wave 3 in its entirety.
The site containing more info is actually up now: [link]

edit: what is it with people posting seconds before me tonight? :P
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by scrtmssgs on 09-17-2008 at 10:05 PM

Ok I have a question.. It might be really stupid of me, but where do offline messages appear now? There used to be a button that appeared when necessary next to the email button, but now.. nothing?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Hayes on 09-17-2008 at 10:09 PM

What a piece of garbage this is.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by roflmao456 on 09-17-2008 at 10:25 PM

it's going to be weird where to put the plus! button and the scripts button.. tab bar maybe? or probably beside the email button

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by ryxdp on 09-17-2008 at 10:57 PM

This is an idiotic question, but are they still using UIFiles? Or have the supposed WPF effects come onto the scene already?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-17-2008 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
it's going to be weird where to put the plus! button and the scripts button.. tab bar maybe? or probably beside the email button
A big plus button there will be nice :P

have you guys thinking why the version is not 9 but 14??? :P kinda weird...
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-18-2008 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
have you guys thinking why the version is not 9 but 14??? :P kinda weird...
As far as i know, its Build 14, so that all Windows Live programs are all in line with each other in terms of builds. I quite personally like how the new build works, but i would prefer to see more requested features than just UI changes all the time *-) And i don't think Patchou would be able to release a fully functional plus program for a while because of the skinning changes that would be required, but i may be wrong?
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-18-2008 at 01:27 AM

ok ok :P

btw is me or the thread title is a mess... jajajaja

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 01:38 AM

Nothing has changed in the skins department since the last beta. Skins are still looking to take the fall for vista users. Now that its a public beta it means that this is now very likely to happen.

For those that don't know what I am talking about I did a post on Design Evovled that addresses the new beta in this respect.

http://www.designevolved.net/board/showthread.php?tid=328

Unless some workaround is figured out (asides from disabling Aero system wide) its not looking good. I am going to hold off some of my advanced skins for a while until I know where this is all going, there wouldn't be much point in starting something complicated if its just going to end at 8.5.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Nagamasa on 09-18-2008 at 01:54 AM

After using it for a day, I noticed that the display picture area is ginormous......not everyone has giant widescreens......

Yeah, the default sounds are much too quiet...although the other defaults (like the sax) are of reasonable volume.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Lt.Col.DraGon on 09-18-2008 at 02:06 AM

Is anyone else having a problem with emoticons showing on people's nicknames in the contact list?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by novolo on 09-18-2008 at 02:07 AM

i dont have that problem un the contact list...      but i do have a problem like other ppl said,  about seeing my own custom emoticons in my conversation window....     apparently the receiver sees them...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by roflmao456 on 09-18-2008 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
This is an idiotic question, but are they still using UIFiles? Or have the supposed WPF effects come onto the scene already?
still using UI files, in fact i have extracted all of them  :P
RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
quote:
still using UI files, in fact i have extracted all of them  :P

Have you taken a look at the UIFiles?

There are a lot of things missing :P Like say for instance controlling the backgrounds of certain elements......

Theres a new 4010 group which looks like its controlling that stuff with some new format. I went back to dll skinning to see how things were. I tried changing the background of the sign in window but then I noticed that the background itself isn't referenced at all. That's with the files I extracted anyway.

Things look like they got a bit more complicated.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Hank on 09-18-2008 at 02:56 AM

im gonna throw my 2 cents in

from what i see of WLM9 it still lacks the ability to use tabbed Chats among other features MsgPluslive has , i cant see any real reason to use 9 over 8.5 IMO .. i can see other instant Messengers making inroads like Trillian Astra an Pidgin an others, .. .

Goodluck to the Skinners,

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-18-2008 at 03:05 AM

I notice that also the chat windows colour does not change to suit as it should and only remains as the dodgy light blue.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by YourNeibour on 09-18-2008 at 03:05 AM

I downloaded the web one and it said that I need XP or vista to run this and I have XP Installed....Should I try the full installer?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by prashker on 09-18-2008 at 03:52 AM

everyone look at my amazing dp

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-18-2008 at 05:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
after many minutes waiting loaded... just crazy like you :P
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-18-2008 at 05:42 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
after many minutes waiting loaded... just crazy like you :P
Yeah, it does have quite an extended loading time for those things, the static shots aren't so bad, but still :) Quite a nice new feature, but im still not impressed.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Th3rmal on 09-18-2008 at 05:45 AM

well after installing it on my virtual xp this morning, i signed in and minimized, only to have it crash straight after. Havent bothered with it since -_-

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 05:47 AM

Well guess what guys. WLM 9 ignores any UIFile edits you do to it. It seems it keeps a backup of it somehow. Tried doing a few tweaks myself to wlm (i.e Moving DP's to the right and button hiding) but then I came across this.

All I can say that this is not good. I'll keep looking into it but yeah atm its going nowhere.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-18-2008 at 05:57 AM

It seems M$ may just be getting serious about stopping people editing the appearance of their software with patches and things *-) If there not careful there gonna really piss some people off *-)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Th3rmal on 09-18-2008 at 05:59 AM

Im sure that within time, new ways will be found and implemented to help plus be able to skin again.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Willz on 09-18-2008 at 06:02 AM

Well hopefully Patch can overcome this stuff, otherwise its going to be a pretty bleak outcome for skins and patches since they rely on this sorta stuff.

Image replacement still works for non-layered images, but yeah for layered images without being able to add in custom code then its not going anywhere.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Vilkku on 09-18-2008 at 06:19 AM

Would it be time to add a big notice at the top of the forums again linking to a thread about WLM 9 beta and Plus! status?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Auph on 09-18-2008 at 06:52 AM

WLM 2009 seems to be cool for it's integrated and "renewed" as the life of Windows Live Messenger.

But on the contrary, it complicated things for Messenger Plus Live, and features are now limited than Windows Live Messenger 8.5 w MP!L v4.7

It's going to take some time to get MP! Live working with WLM again...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by nat510 on 09-18-2008 at 08:58 AM

can't receive files form older verison of msn:(

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-18-2008 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
It seems M$ may just be getting serious about stopping people editing the appearance of their software with patches and things *-) If there not careful there gonna really piss some people off *-)
Actually, I am already pissed off. :( Skinning had found many fans and now Microsoft ruins what Plus! and Patchou had achieved from December. I can only hope they will finally change the way Messenger 2009 works now so it will not be so difficult to skin it.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by RebelSean on 09-18-2008 at 02:53 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Actually, I am already pissed off. :( Skinning had found many fans and now Microsoft ruins what Plus! and Patchou had achieved from December. I can only hope they will finally change the way Messenger 2009 works now so it will not be so difficult to skin it.

I highly doubt they are going to take a step back from the new UI they've introduced. It's taken them nearly a year to get to this stage, and to be honest I'm impressed with the UI. It's a huge improvement from the alpha versions. I'm sure Cyril or someone will find a work-around for the skinning issues :).
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-18-2008 at 02:57 PM

I hope so RebelSean. I agree the new UI is good but they could have at least leave the images format as it was. Besides, they changed most of the images to .MSRLE. Anyway, I am sure Patchou will find the way to fix any issues with skinning. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by vaccination on 09-18-2008 at 03:15 PM

...maybe they're just not allowing you to edit the UIfiles whilst it's still in beta, I imagine they don't want people reporting bugs that have been caused by someone rearranging their code.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Scizz on 09-18-2008 at 03:31 PM

Anybody else noticing your own animated DPs going too fast or skipping frames in contact lists/convo windows?

Works fine in the preview though, which is odd. o.O

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-18-2008 at 03:31 PM

I still haven't been able to log in so far ^o) Tried 5 emails =/

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by RebelSean on 09-18-2008 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff

Error code? I've been able to sign-in perfectly all day.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-18-2008 at 06:28 PM

What happened to the send and search button in the conversation window?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-18-2008 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

Error code? I've been able to sign-in perfectly all day.

At work atm so I'll post it later (approx. 3 hrs from now)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-18-2008 at 07:46 PM

mess patch light was updated... so maybe there is a way to edit uifiles finally... let's wait for patch to announce... remember he is in direct talk with WLM dev team...

if MS want to stop skinning doing the CL bg feature and that protection to avoid uifiles modification this will be a huge hit for MP!L... I don't think patch will allow that to happen...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Oxy on 09-18-2008 at 08:43 PM

Me and duck noted this, but why are the sharing folders gone to make way for skydriver?
I think the sharing folders was a much better idea. oh well.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-18-2008 at 09:20 PM

All I get is:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=927690]

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-18-2008 at 09:38 PM

guys I invite you to read TB post here:

http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1612

there is lot of important info there!!!

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by bigguy_132 on 09-18-2008 at 09:49 PM

So, I feel dumb for asking this. But on the main screen where your contacts are I used to be able to see people's e-mail address as well as their contact name and personal message and I cannot remember how to turn this back on. Any help with this would be awesome.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-18-2008 at 10:06 PM

quote:
guys I invite you to read TB post here:

http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1612

there is lot of important info there!!!
Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I really hope Patchou can get skinning going on WLM9, would be a waste if the limitations of the new interface render skins basically unusable after only such a short time of having them.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-19-2008 at 02:22 AM

quote:
Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I really hope Patchou can get skinning going on WLM9, would be a waste if the limitations of the new interface render skins basically unusable after only such a short time of having them.
your welcome mate... ;) I think the same as you do...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Hank on 09-19-2008 at 02:30 AM

Just tried to install it on WindowsXP 64bit.. no can do ..

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Patchou on 09-19-2008 at 03:42 AM

lol, why is everybody so alarmist?

I spent the last 7 years updating Plus! to make it work on newer versions of Messenger and onething I learnt is that there's always a way, you just have to spend some time on the probem.

Right now I'm having fun adding multiple-location data into Plus!, I'll check the skins out later. There's really no need to panic though :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Th3rmal on 09-19-2008 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

I spent the last 7 years updating Plus! to make it work on newer versions of Messenger and onething I learnt is that there's always a way, you just have to spend some time on the probem.

Right now I'm having fun adding multiple-location data into Plus!, I'll check the skins out later. There's really no need to panic though :)
Patchou replied, crisis over!
Now i can once again look forward to having my favourite skins for 9.0
* Th3rmal is now relaxed :)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Bioran23 on 09-19-2008 at 05:15 AM

Hi all. Sorry if this seems stupid, but can Plus! support this version of WLM 9 yet?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Th3rmal on 09-19-2008 at 05:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bioran23
Hi all. Sorry if this seems stupid, but can Plus! support this version of WLM 9 yet?
Nope not yet :)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by MeEtc on 09-19-2008 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Right now I'm having fun adding multiple-location data into Plus!
Yeah, now THAT would be interesting to see. As for myself, I have no need to upgrade to test out the new stuff, especially if I don't have Plus or StuffPlug. I stayed with 8.1 for the longest time, because Willz hadn't ported Ev0 yet and Stuffplug didn't exist. Even after they were though, I didn't upgrade until MS started putting out their nag screens to update. If it wasn't for scripts in Plus, I'd probably still be using something in the 7.x range.

I'll be using 8.5 for a long time yet. Why fix something that isn't broken?
RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mad_Griffith on 09-19-2008 at 06:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
I'll be using 8.5 for a long time yet. Why fix something that isn't broken?

It's not about using something fixed, but about graphics. WLM9 is quite amazing on that side. Definitely something Vista users have been waiting since Vista itself first came out.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Hank on 09-19-2008 at 06:18 AM

it might be great for people using Vista but people using XP still it wont make a difference whether they stick with 8.5 or not

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-19-2008 at 08:15 AM

quote:

He always manages to come back with the most level headed and great answers :) Well done Patchou, Good luck with the updates and what-not :)
RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by andrewdodd13 on 09-19-2008 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
it might be great for people using Vista but people using XP still it wont make a difference whether they stick with 8.5 or not
Uh well actually, WPF is part of .NET 3 and is available for Windows XP SP2+ - I am running this beta on some of my machines and I have to say it looks pretty sweet.
RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by ryxdp on 09-19-2008 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
WPF

So it is using WPF? Or just partly?
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-19-2008 at 01:22 PM

I am kinda relaxed after Patchou confirmed he will do his best to solve the problem. :) What is that multiple location data he talked about?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-19-2008 at 01:31 PM

quote:
I am kinda relaxed after Patchou confirmed he will do his best to solve the problem. :) What is that multiple location data he talked about?
On WLM9 you can sign in into the same account from multiple accounts.

I guess he was talking about that :P
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-19-2008 at 02:01 PM

I wonder how Plus! will take advantage of that. Automatically syncing all Plus! settings across multiple locations ;)?

RE: RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by andrewdodd13 on 09-19-2008 at 02:09 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
WPF

So it is using WPF? Or just partly?
Admittedly, it doesn't appear to be, although I hear the final version will. I guess it's what I get for posting early in the morning.

Either way, I think it still looks much sweeter than 8.5, even on XP.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-19-2008 at 02:35 PM

quote:
I wonder how Plus! will take advantage of that. Automatically syncing all Plus! settings across multiple locations ;)?
My dreams will become true :P

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Patchou on 09-19-2008 at 03:19 PM

Automatic-synching would have to be done on my side, with my servers. It'S something I wanted to do before but I'm too concerned about possible privacy issues right now.

As for WPF: no, Messenger is still using DirectUI which is an internal library only Microsoft uses.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-19-2008 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Automatic-synching would have to be done on my side, with my servers. It'S something I wanted to do before but I'm too concerned about possible privacy issues right now.
But when signed on on multiple locations, couldn't the clients just talk to each other directly over the Messenger servers (or even a direct connection)?
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-19-2008 at 03:31 PM

quote:
couldn't the clients just talk to each other directly over the Messenger servers

Then MS start charging Patchou for for traffic offences (lol traffic offences :D) I wanted to do it before, but couldn't for that reason.

quote:
or even a direct connection

That is a better idea, but I don't think you get to see the IP address of your contacts except during p2p protocol messages such as file transfers and activities. It could be done with a script running on the first computer that responds to a certain phrase (and password?) and send a file containing prefs. This would probably need you to restart messenger though and you would have to log in without your prefs for a while.

FTP server would be a good idea, if everybody had access to one. Looks like Patch is gonna have to do a partnership deal with a hosting company ;)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-19-2008 at 06:23 PM

ok, when the beta came out, i said to myself, it looks great, i tried it and it was great, but a messenger without messenger plus! is nothing, so i went back to 8.5 but today i just wanted to use it, and i know that there is a way to use messenger plus on the new messenger, atleast just to have the basics, nick colours etc, and i even know some of us here do know how to manage this, it is complicated, but please anyone who do know just tell us :P i just want to see nicknames without the codes xD

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-19-2008 at 06:26 PM

What's wrong with the MSN Today button?
It randomly disappears :S

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-19-2008 at 06:32 PM

Oh just to post something else, regarding the custom emoticons, my custom emotions are fine, just when i type them, they appear text for me and to the person i sent it to, it appears as an emoticon(image), its not the option show emotions because ive tried it, please help! thanks =D

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by m00nface on 09-20-2008 at 02:52 AM

sorry..

but i didnot understand unything...

^_^

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by ryxdp on 09-20-2008 at 03:07 AM

Basically it means we cannot customize messenger just yet, as it appears to keep a backup of itself, preventing us to change or patch it in most ways.

I'm sure people will find a way around that, though.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by m00nface on 09-20-2008 at 03:14 AM

thanx alot..
^_^

RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by TheSteve on 09-20-2008 at 04:52 AM

quote:
It appears to keep a backup of itself, preventing us to change or patch it in most ways.
That's not exactly correct.  The XML in this version of WLM 9 is not being used by default.  It is using a new system which I'm calling "User Interface Binary" (UIB). 

quote:
I'm sure people will find a way around that, though.
I have found a quick band-aid way around that which I plan to make public in the near future. However this method probably won't be there in the final version.

A few developers and I are currently attempting to figure out exactly how the UIB works and once we do will probably release details on the format.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Willz on 09-20-2008 at 05:06 AM

As a proof of concept:

http://www.designevolved.net/board/showthread.php?tid=331

two words:

awwwww yeah :P

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Aardvark on 09-20-2008 at 05:48 AM

In case anyone's interested, you can find the install files for WLM 9 at %programfiles%\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache

Useful if you don't want to wait forever running the web setup or downloading the full package installer.

NB: You must install all the msi's in the various folders found in .cache for WLM to work properly (unless of course you chose to download other components, in which case ignore their respective msi's).

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-20-2008 at 08:25 AM

[Image: strangeyc4.jpg] [Image: freaky2ux0.jpg]

strange aye? messenger plus still on my messenger, apparently everything's working, just the icons of mpl are not showing, colours neither, can't use the commands ( i.e: /ping)  nothing else   on the scripts case, the settings work and even the script does!

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by warmth on 09-20-2008 at 01:40 PM

of course that if you edit your wlm version it works at 10%... :P

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-20-2008 at 01:43 PM

yep i just removed it because its not good :P loads of problems

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by PES-Dan on 09-20-2008 at 11:48 PM

I just want coloured/formatted (Bold, underline etc.) nicknames to show up properly and I'll be happy

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-21-2008 at 08:26 AM

yep that would be awesome but i don't think it'll happen any time soon :/

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mynetx on 09-21-2008 at 09:04 AM

@ Mattumanutd, why did you grey the script name out that you imported? :P You can still have WLM14 running and that script working. Just refer to mynetx's reply to [Release] WLMStatus 1.19.36 - Easy Web Display of your Messenger Status.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mattumanutd on 09-21-2008 at 10:04 AM

ye i know i see your threads haha i don't know why i greyed it xD

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Fal Matrix 2r on 09-21-2008 at 10:17 AM

hey all
thats what i thought of WLM for now...

personal review for WLM 9 Beta
I've been testing it for 2 days and this is what i think of it...i hope my review helps a little for you all, thank you

the goods...
fresh new design
the "groups" feature
added History feature in Conversation window
new sounds and custom sounds possibility
Layout and "What's new" feature
added .gif for display pictures
signature sounds added
some nice scenes to choose from

the bads...
a problem with custom emoticons
the scenes and color themes don't apply to the conversation windows...to me there's a lack of coordination between the main window and conversation windows
crashing when viewing winks list
"send" button when writing text?????
the "contact sign in" and "new instant message" sounds are still old
the .gif display pictures can't be bigger than 200kb...doesn't leave alot of customizing capabilities...
clicking on display pictures and viewing contact card directly has been taken away
the possibility of draging a picture to the display picture box has been taken away...now we have to go all the way to browse...
the right-clicking feature on display pictures has been also taken down...
display picture size options are still "small" and "medium"...would be nice to have a "big" option...

conclusion...
nice evolution of WLM but it could be pushed a little further...
its really bad to have lost some quick access capabilities with the display picture...i hope its just because its a beta...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by djdannyp on 09-21-2008 at 11:21 AM

I just noticed that they "borrowed" a feature from my sexyskin :P

Clicking on your DP opens up the Change Display picture option, rather than your contact card

Woo :D

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-21-2008 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

Clicking on your DP opens up the Change Display picture option, rather than your contact card

After billions of complaints probably :p
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-21-2008 at 12:46 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

After billions of complaints probably :p
And its still not that great, i would like the same thing to occur in the chat window.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Tartooob on 09-21-2008 at 12:56 PM

A-Patch for Windows Live Messenger 9 Wave 3 Released! (H)

Now if only I can figure a way to make msgplus work with WLM 9.0 :(

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Eddie on 09-21-2008 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tartooob
A-Patch for Windows Live Messenger 9 Wave 3 Released! (H)

Now if only I can figure a way to make msgplus work with WLM 9.0 :(
There isnt a way as far as im aware, although i have heard about that some people have got lucky, just wait for Patchou to release a compatible version of Plus :)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by guanako on 09-21-2008 at 03:46 PM

i think this beautiful! we will have a plus soon =)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mynetx on 09-21-2008 at 04:01 PM

It does work, but only partially. Scripts are mostly running, including WLMStatus. Skins are working when replacing images, but not the UIFiles. Patchou is already working on a version with more compatibility ;)

[Image: yf41e.png]

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-21-2008 at 04:44 PM

Is there any possibility that Patchou is going to need any more testers?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by guanako on 09-21-2008 at 04:45 PM

he hasnt said...yet, you will for sure hear when he does.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-21-2008 at 04:53 PM

Thanks for informing me. I hope he does ask for more testers. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by guanako on 09-21-2008 at 04:54 PM

np, just keep checking. :)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Quantum on 09-21-2008 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako

Is it possible for you to ask in the good all mighty "Beta Forums"?

:angel:
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by guanako on 09-21-2008 at 05:11 PM

quote:
quote:

oh its been asked already, and the same answer was given :)
RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Quantum on 09-21-2008 at 05:16 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

oh its been asked already, and the same answer was given :)

Thank You :) x
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Nathan on 09-21-2008 at 09:52 PM

I doubt patchou will be specifically requesting for beta-testers now... We have a good testers team and patchou trust's us. Whereas with new people he's wary and starts having to add protection to prevent anyone but us using it, if it's leaked...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-22-2008 at 02:45 PM

How many beta testers are there right now?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Justin on 09-22-2008 at 03:51 PM

quote:

There should be a list of Beta testers in the 'about' window of Messenger Plus! (I'm using 9 so I can't check)
RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by djdannyp on 09-22-2008 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Justin
quote:

There should be a list of Beta testers in the 'about' window of Messenger Plus! (I'm using 9 so I can't check)

That isn't a full list, only testers who wished to be displayed there were inlcuded, also there are some people in there who aren't testers
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-22-2008 at 03:54 PM

I counted 94 names but not all of them are testers. What about making this number 100? :D

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Menthix on 09-22-2008 at 04:14 PM

Checking which testers on the current list aren't active anymore, and switching them out with a few new people may be a good idea. I have a feeling there are some people on the current list who don't participate anymore. But give them a fair chance to respond first, being on vacation or in a really busy period shouldn't be a reason to be kicked off :).

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by lordtinuviel on 09-22-2008 at 05:02 PM

i dunno if i'm still on the list, will love to try but the true is that with work theres not much I can do so w/me its ok to be out

RE: RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by legithrand on 09-22-2008 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fal Matrix 2r
hey all

the scenes and color themes don't apply to the conversation windows...to me there's a lack of coordination between the main window and conversation windows

actually, the convo window shows the color and/or scene the other contact has...
RE: Windows Live Messenger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-22-2008 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Checking which testers on the current list aren't active anymore, and switching them out with a few new people may be a good idea. I have a feeling there are some people on the current list who don't participate anymore. But give them a fair chance to respond first, being on vacation or in a really busy period shouldn't be a reason to be kicked off :).
Off course, everything is up to Patchou. Even if some people are kicked out, it doesn't mean that new people must be added. I just think they should be though because now that a new Messenger version will be released, the testing must be more careful than ever, especially now that the UI of Messenger changed. Anyway, time will show.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mynetx on 09-23-2008 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by About Messenger Plus!
Stéphanie, Sly, Nico, SuperAlex, Renan, Fraisie, Mohamed, MenthiX, CookieRevised, wtbw, Dane Nachtsheim, Guido Durazzo, Sunshine, Jonathan Kay, optiz0r, absorbation, Tom W, matty, Renee Vloo, Omar Santos, Choli, Ryan Trunten, Curtis Coulthard, Chris Lozeau, Felu, Adam Dempsey, Chrono (André Carboni), EvilSeph, deAd, Rolando A. Quintero, segosa, Volv, Alberto Deleon, Bram Lancsweert, Misterjad, NiteMare, Joanna Zmyslowska, John Anderton, Underlord, x2zen, Nile Plumb, Wilhelm Törnroos, Mnjul, Louis-Philippe Cloutier, Jesal, Knuckles, rix, Matt Labrum, Daniel Porter, Michel Dekker, Samuel Prashker, Salem, Lee Jeffery, Florian, Albert Abou-Nasr, Tomer Klechevsky, Bapi Vinnakota, James O'Brien, Ricardo Sabino, Arturo Pastrana Arauz, Supersonicdarky, Lt.Col.DraGon, Craig Morrissey, Mandorallen, Ioannis Epaminonda, Juh, Rodney, Riccardo Bastianini, James Etherington, Luke Jones, Mike Kosmatop, Esteban Monge, DarylR, Mariano A. Lopez, Corey Vidal, Dr4g0n, Rodney, Miguel Antonio Aguirre, Joe Hargett, Giken, Sean Bradford, Dave Morley, Damian Wray, bto, Dom Harding, Brendan Bolen, faquick, Aaron Colenbrander, Anio_pke, mynetx, Will Ingles, warmth, Daeron Tinuviel, Sypher.

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by legithrand on 09-23-2008 at 08:53 PM

pretty long list...

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Spunky on 09-23-2008 at 09:24 PM

Hey Patch, remember when I made a joke about being a BETA tester and you didn't actually say no? Well... where's my t-shirt (6)

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by colask8 on 09-26-2008 at 03:54 PM

is there msnplus live  for wlm 9?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Basilis on 09-26-2008 at 03:57 PM

This thread answers your question. :)
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=85992

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-29-2008 at 11:52 AM

Somebody who has access to the newsgroup:

It looks like the file transfer speed when connected from multiple locations is still very low. Can somebody please report it to the newsgroup?

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by RebelSean on 09-29-2008 at 11:57 AM

quote:

It looks like the file transfer speed when connected from multiple locations is still very low. Can somebody please report it to the newsgroup?

Can you elaborate? When using MPOP?
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 09-29-2008 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

Can you elaborate? When using MPOP?
Yes.
Example:
I sign in from 2 computers (both have the same IP btw).
When I try to send/receive a file, it will receive some KBs for some seconds and then stop for a few seconds. It will do the same thing when it resumes until the file transfer is over.

On the first leaked beta (the one that didn't have any GUI changes), this would still happen even after I signed out from one computer. I had to completely sign out from all computers and then sign in again to return to normal speed.
On the old leaked beta again, messages would also take some seconds until they get received by me or the other contact I'm talking to.

I haven't tested the above two things in the new beta to see if they are fixed though.
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Yaam Ustaph on 10-01-2008 at 09:45 AM

hey,
the latest version of Windows Live Plus was recently released but when i installed it i found MP!L didnt work with it :(

is there a patch or an update that has been released that i dont know about that?

until then ive decided installing older version is best idea

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by mynetx on 10-01-2008 at 09:58 AM

Consider reading my blog.
http://blog.mynetx.net/2008/09/30/plus-beta-for-m...r-14-soon-at-hand/

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by Mike on 10-01-2008 at 01:15 PM

quote:

Bump

Anyone? :)
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by trenat on 11-26-2008 at 03:10 AM

does anyone know how to set the colors so that everything is the same? I find it irritating that every single message window is a different color even after clicking "set as default".

not encouraging to hear about the uninstall problems. *sigh* too late now for me I suppose. :S

RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by RebelSean on 11-26-2008 at 07:14 PM

quote:
quote:

Bump

Anyone? :)

Tis already been reported and discussed, don't know what the outcome will be however.

quote:
Originally posted by trenat
does anyone know how to set the colors so that everything is the same? I find it irritating that every single message window is a different color even after clicking "set as default".

not encouraging to hear about the uninstall problems. *sigh* too late now for me I suppose. :S

You can't at this time until either A) The RC build is released or B) A patch is created that can force your default color.

Why? Because currently the conversation window color reflects your contacts scene :).
RE: Windows Live Messneger 9.0: New Beta by trenat on 11-27-2008 at 03:03 AM

thanks for the info RebelSean. much appreciated. (Y)