Shoutbox

Windows update SP3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows update SP3 (/showthread.php?tid=85999)

Windows update SP3 by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-17-2008 at 10:27 PM

Hey, i originally asked about this in one of the other threads but i figured it might be easier to make a new one.

I have automatic updates turned on, on my XP computer, so it just automatically downloads updates.

However it keeps downloading the new windows service pack 3. After a lot of friends with bad experiences downloading it i dont want to instal it. I keep canceling the instal (as its the only way i can stop it telling me i have new updates waiting). However every time i cancel the instal, a minute later it starts to re-down load it and asks me to instal it.

Is there any way i can stop this one update but still have the others automatically downloaded as normal? Someone mentioned something about "Dont offer me this update again" but i cant find that anywhere unfortunatly so i cant set it.

Any help would be appreciated as this is really really slowing down my computer.

RE: Windows update SP3 by Voldemort on 09-17-2008 at 10:49 PM

installing it will stop slowing down your computer.

RE: Windows update SP3 by Chris4 on 09-17-2008 at 10:50 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=927491]

RE: Windows update SP3 by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-17-2008 at 10:53 PM

Ok... but how do i get to that? Ive never used the update website before. Ive always had it automatically downloaded.

And im well aware instaling would stop the slow downs. But that isnt the point.

RE: Windows update SP3 by Lou on 09-17-2008 at 10:59 PM

http://update.microsoft.com

RE: Windows update SP3 by ShawnZ on 09-17-2008 at 11:01 PM

not installing SP3 is a bad idea.

RE: Windows update SP3 by Jarrod on 09-17-2008 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
not installing SP3 is a bad idea.
i was waiting for someone to say that,
it's really not such a bad upgrade
RE: Windows update SP3 by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-17-2008 at 11:04 PM

By the sounds of things installing it isnt a great idea either lol. I will eventually. When they sort out the patches for it.

thanks for that lou :) i'll give it a try tomorrow

RE: Windows update SP3 by Jarrod on 09-17-2008 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [B]roken.[Hearts]
By the sounds of things installing it isnt a great idea either lol
says who, it's always been sweet for me
RE: Windows update SP3 by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-17-2008 at 11:09 PM

A lot of friends have been having trouble with it blue screening their laptops and stuff. Word of mouth. Im actually re-installing a clean version of windows within the next few months anyways.. when i get round to it, so i'll probably just download it then and put everything back on at once. Just makes it easier for me. My laptop is in a dodgy state lol.

RE: Windows update SP3 by ShawnZ on 09-18-2008 at 12:03 AM

they're not going to make "patches" for a service pack.. it already is a patch

your friends probably just had outdated drivers installed for some of their hardware or something

RE: Windows update SP3 by ipab on 09-18-2008 at 12:18 AM

The blue screens were caused by HP fucking things up with how they created their restore images. It was subsequently fixed. Just make sure you apply all manufacturer updates before you apply sp3 :).

RE: Windows update SP3 by RaceProUK on 09-18-2008 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
they're not going to make "patches" for a service pack.. it already is a patch
Nothing wrong with patching a patch :P
RE: Windows update SP3 by andrewdodd13 on 09-19-2008 at 08:32 AM

If you're gonna reinstall Windows it's better to slipstream the service pack into your install media rather than installing the OS then the service pack, although it does mean you'll be unable to uninstall the SP.

It generally saves a bunch of disk space, etc, as there are loads of files left lying around after you install a SP. (You can of course always delete them, but still)

RE: Windows update SP3 by Mike on 09-19-2008 at 10:09 AM

I use SP3 on a(n old) laptop and it works fine.