Shoutbox

Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? (/showthread.php?tid=86068)

Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Link_of_Hyrule on 09-21-2008 at 06:47 AM

I was just thinking that it would be awesome if pidgin im could some how be integrated into wlm as part of the plus plugin. Pidgin is a open source multi-protocol messenger so what I'm thinking is it would basically allow you to talk to people on aim, yim, icq, gtalk, facebook, myspaceIM on wlm. I'm not really sure if that would be possible but it would be really cool if it was.

http://www.pidgin.im/

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by prashker on 09-21-2008 at 06:53 AM

Messenger Plus! Live cannot do this, and it won't do this in the future :p

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by NanaFreak on 09-21-2008 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Messenger Plus! Live cannot do this, and it won't do this in the future :p
adding onto this: its because patchou is the only creator of plus, and he does not have enough time atm let alone doing it for 2 im programs ;)
RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Quantum on 09-21-2008 at 10:01 AM

As said above it wont be done, but if i did would it not be easyier for Plus! to be added to pidgin?

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by djdannyp on 09-21-2008 at 11:18 AM

NanaFreak and john-t, you've both missed the point.

He's not asking for Plus functionality to be used on Pidgin, he wants the inter-operability of pidgin to be available on WLM, via Messenger Plus.

So he wants Messenger Plus to give WLM the ability to have contacts from all different messenger clients.

But yeah, as Sam says, it can't and won't be done

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Thor on 09-21-2008 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
But yeah, as Sam says, it can't and won't be done
I'm pretty sure it can be done, but true - it won't be.
RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Link_of_Hyrule on 09-21-2008 at 07:17 PM

Yeh I don't want plus on pidgin I want to be able to talk to people on other messengers with in wlm using pidgin's code.

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Thor on 09-21-2008 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Link_of_Hyrule
Yeh I don't want plus on pidgin I want to be able to talk to people on other messengers with in wlm using pidgin's code.
Technically the part that handles that is called (lib)purple.

Thank god the two are seperated.
RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Link_of_Hyrule on 09-21-2008 at 11:22 PM

Yeh thats true I forgot about that would be awesome if it happened then instead if having multiple messenger programs just input all your logins into wlm and it signs into them all using messenger plus.

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by prashker on 09-21-2008 at 11:46 PM

Just use pidgin :p It won't happen.

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Link_of_Hyrule on 09-22-2008 at 06:58 AM

I do use pidgin it was just a suggestion :P Oh well I know that they are officially working on making gtalk and aim work in wlm.

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by X3_ on 10-16-2008 at 10:51 PM

could be done wont be done will never be done ok Im fine with that, but notice and remember this post when the future of IM arrives.

I wanted to give a change to skilled guys to be part of something greater then one messenger on protocol and so mnay messenger so many protocols

I can assure you guys it will be done and it wont be like pidin trillian miranda, icq, irc or messenger live with your extremely great add on. adn amybe I forget yahoo and some others... when it comes you will have two choices join in or live in that past.

I will only say this it will put an end to having to choose wich messenger you have to install to talk to someone else who wants whatever or any platform. Thanks though as I supspected no one is really ready to go all the way...

Well not everyone...

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Link_of_Hyrule on 10-17-2008 at 02:01 AM

Well Messenger already has Yahoo integrated into it and they have a beta version that has gtalk working. They have said they are going to try and get aim/icq also working as well so in the future I think that we will have multi-protocol officially on messenger.

quote:
In a presentation to the Georgia Institute of Technology's IEEE Student Branch, Microsoft employee Andrew Jenks reported that the Messenger team had been working on multi-person audio/video chat, and they are also attempting to create interoperability with AIM/XMPP/ICQ users like the way Yahoo! Messenger works now; there is a basic internal version that works with Jabber already.[28] However, these features were not seen in any of the beta versions of Windows Live Messenger 2009 as of the latest release, Milestone 3.

Microsoft sent an invitation to participate in the Windows Live Messenger "9" beta program to Microsoft Connect members on November 20, 2007; a week later, Microsoft began sending out emails welcoming them to the Windows Live Messenger "9" beta program for the first release, known as Beta 0.

Also see my other post I made here http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=24278&pi...art=0&#entry175891

It is possible for an addon to integrate other protocols it has been done in the past.

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by X3_ on 10-22-2008 at 11:14 AM

Well it would be silly if Microsoft keeps adopting the closed policy they have and they only nade yahoo compatible with live messenger because they were smoothing the way into buying yahoo... With gTalk from google XMPP which is a open portocol and limited to text and file tarnsfers ATM it seems unless they waking up will only believe it when I see it.

Its ridiculous to have to go through half a dozen messengers so you can talk to your friends because they choose something else.

Either way IF (a big if) WLM 9 will support all these and be a actually grown up and more of a professional tool who can also upload to skydrive via WLM as well as being able to relinquish the hold ON IE for browsing your space and allow whatever default browser actually be open instead of insitsting on forced use OF IE then Im all for it and will applaude MS...

Thats another thing I hate I use Firefox on my laptop as default browser and whenI click to see my Blog IE opens up.... you know it ridiculous if you have FF or Opera or wahtever you like and you cant go on windows update for one and many other MS network sites. Its insane... hell if MS ha a problem with the way browser access theire sight just tell them how to do it theire way as well...

However as far as Live messenger addon + I suggest you implement OTR as well as being optional by contacts on same network. and OTR is able to encrypt in every protocol any network.

This is a major function missing, security. I wanna be able to talk about whatever I want without having someone burst trough my door because I mentioned like e.g. That party at the whitehouse was the Bomb especially the president was there great party had lots of fun...

Im sorry but If I wanna talk about my live to my friends I dont want some idiot to be recording it somewhere as they do. Dont be telling me Im paranoid I know this to be a fact as well as mobile conversations and regular phone conversations, I dot wanna get all irated about it but Please just introduce OTR.

Your addon is great and just goes to show if MS was really serious about the technology and giving the users what they want you guys would be out of a job so to speak...

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by cerati88 on 12-26-2008 at 02:42 AM

I think it would be great to use the functions that Messenger Plus has on Pidgin!

Pidgin is so lightweight! WLM is heavy!

Would love to see Messenger Plus features on Pidgin!

RE: Suggestion- Integrate pidgin im into plus? by Lou on 12-26-2008 at 02:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cerati88
I think it would be great to use the functions that Messenger Plus has on Pidgin!

Pidgin is so lightweight! WLM is heavy!

Would love to see Messenger Plus features on Pidgin!
It's not going to happen. Plain and simple.