Shoutbox

Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 (/showthread.php?tid=86075)

Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:05 PM

I wanted to celebrate the beginning of school holidays, and so i decided to redesign my website.
I would appreciate it if you would take a look and give me some opinions, again :):P

The current site:
www.th3rmal.com

The old site:
www.th3rmal.com/old

The code is rewritten (html, php and css) and is much cleaner now (although still not valid :P)
For best viewing purposes, use FX ;)

Also, in the old one, the header has some text on it, which i cbf fixing at 1 am, so please ignore that (A)

A big thanks to NanaFreak for his help on this :)

EDIT: holy shit, 66 errors :|...was 14 last time i checked :P
* Th3rmal gets fixing...

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Aardvark on 09-21-2008 at 03:12 PM

Inc.? What are you a company now? :P Anyway yeah it's good - much improvement from the old one.

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
Inc.? What are you a company now? :P Anyway yeah it's good - much improvement from the old one.
Well i run a service, so i might as well :P
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 03:14 PM

it looks the exact same as the design that everyone else on this forum uses :<

corners insanely rounded, steep gradients everywhere, no colour coordination, nothing lines up, stupid "diagonal bar" background, etc...

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Aardvark on 09-21-2008 at 03:14 PM

What service?

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Eddie on 09-21-2008 at 03:14 PM

I like the new one mate, looks a lot better, and not as bland :) Nice job, your getting the coding down quickly and well :)

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
it looks the exact same as the design that everyone else on this forum uses :<

corners insanely rounded, steep gradients everywhere, no colour coordination, nothing lines up, stupid "diagonal bar" background, etc...
i love you to, now care to give some _constructive_ critisicm?

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
I like the new one mate, looks a lot better, and not as bland :) Nice job, your getting the coding down quickly and well :)
Thank you very much :)
quote:
What service?
Check here and also the forums and youll find out :P
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Aardvark on 09-21-2008 at 03:21 PM

Hahaha why would you want to do peoples work for them?

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal

i just did!!
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Hahaha why would you want to do peoples work for them?
Its not just my work, its other peoples work to. And we dont "do it" for other people, we just upload what we have already done/need to do ourselves. :P
314+ year 11 files atm :P

quote:
quote:

i just did!!
quote:
it looks the exact same as the design that everyone else on this forum uses (Smilie)

No that just tells me what ive done "wrong" in your perspective, doesnt tell me what i should improve about it.
RE: RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Aardvark on 09-21-2008 at 03:25 PM

quote:

No that just tells me what ive done "wrong" in your perspective, doesnt tell me what i should improve about it.
Anything but what you've done? :P
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:26 PM

quote:
quote:

Anything but what you've done? :P
theres a million possibilities :P narrowing it down would be nice ;)
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 03:31 PM

quote:
doesnt tell me what i should improve about it.

don't do the things i listed? are you retarded?
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Basilis on 09-21-2008 at 03:32 PM

The new one is actually is impressive. It is a great improvement visually. I don't know about code but it looks great to the eye. :)

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-21-2008 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
The new one is actually is impressive. It is a great improvement visually. I don't know about code but it looks great to the eye. :)
Thank you very much :)
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by vaccination on 09-21-2008 at 04:01 PM

Going from white to a chunky grey box is a no.

Also the separator between the content and side-nav should just be a 1px line or something.

Also give some more padding on the 'news' posts, I hate it when text is right up against the side of the box it's in.

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by djdannyp on 09-21-2008 at 04:13 PM

There needs to be a more consistent colour scheme.  I agree with ShawnZ that it just doesn't work....there's too many colours that don't fit together.

Also I'd be careful with the "service" you are offering as it is essentially a plagiarism service.  As much as you might have honourabey intentions, the vast majority of people who will look to use such a service won't be using it for "reference", they will just copy and paste large chunks, if not rip off the whole work completely.

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Voldemort on 09-21-2008 at 04:14 PM

titles should be less indented than posts, the box is horrible, color combination sucks :P, pad the post text, and the header is just not nice :P

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Kenji on 09-21-2008 at 05:25 PM

go read some photoshop tutorials.

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by roflmao456 on 09-21-2008 at 06:10 PM

you forgot to thank me for criticism and making your site XHTML/CSS valid before you added the content :tongue:

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Thor on 09-21-2008 at 07:45 PM

Honestly: No. I don't think it looks nice. The attempts at making the nice round things with the 3D alike feeling doesn't work imo.

The colours aren't bad, but you need to implement them in another way. Especially those pesky grey boxes.

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Quantum on 09-21-2008 at 08:17 PM

Two Words: I like it.

i fail :refuck:

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by joey on 09-21-2008 at 10:45 PM

for more than one reason 8-)
anyway, back to talking to humans.....

its good, but it looks half comlpeted, with cheesy 3dlike gfx, id try go for something smoother and less intensive on the eyes, but iv seen a lot worse!
* joey points to his site :P

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Jarrod on 09-21-2008 at 10:53 PM

it looks very web 2.0, i really don't see the problems the others do

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

it's shit?
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Thor on 09-21-2008 at 11:10 PM

quote:
If you've actually seen Web 2.0 pages you'll see that they are much more minimalistic, flat, simple and content/user centric. They do not waste space, place or images.

Pretty much the opposite of that design.

EDIT: Oh snap, 900th post!

[Image: zippyah.gif]

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Jarrod on 09-21-2008 at 11:16 PM

the grey boxes don't quite work but otherwise

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Nathan on 09-21-2008 at 11:18 PM

quote:
quote:

it's shit?
Harsh... Could you do any better? If so, show me...
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ShawnZ on 09-21-2008 at 11:50 PM

fine, i'll start a web design company and make millions

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-22-2008 at 02:26 AM

Ok so ive removed the grey box thing, and replaced it with something simpler, ive also padded the text and made the title less indented than the actual text. I will be working on color scheme and buttons right after my chemistry hw :P

Keep the suggestions coming :)

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by ryxdp on 09-22-2008 at 07:23 AM

I *did* ask you if you wanted me to do the graphics...:blah!:

Buttons need hover states, I like them and it's easy to tell if it actually is a button that way. Links need to match the colour scheme too, and the boxes with content in them should be lightened a bit. Footer text would probably look better in white. That is all (that hasn't been suggested from what I've seen). :D

EDIT: Favicon perhaps :P

RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Th3rmal on 09-22-2008 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
I *did* ask you if you wanted me to do the graphics...:blah!:

Buttons need hover states, I like them and it's easy to tell if it actually is a button that way. Links need to match the colour scheme too, and the boxes with content in them should be lightened a bit. Footer text would probably look better in white. That is all (that hasn't been suggested from what I've seen). :D

EDIT: Favicon perhaps :P
I was working on hover states, but ran into some problems and decided not to do it for the time being (too tired at 2 am to try and do it :P). Other tips noted :)
RE: Site Redesigned, need your opinions again <3 by Jhrono on 09-23-2008 at 01:33 PM

I have to agree with all the points Shawnz mentioned.

Here are my suggestions :

- Change the background color to one that goes with the general pallete.
- Make a new banner, this time try to simplify it and give it a less colorful look. There are thousands of good Photoshop tutorials online, try to get around some.
- Change the navigation bar to one that goes with the banner you'll create. Also, make it a little smaller in height.
- The content container must be as wide as the navigation bar. It looks "loosy" otherwise.
- Change the font of the website, try to find a more attractive one.
- Make all the links have the same colour.
- Make a good pallete and stick to it. You now have several colors on the website that don't really go with each other.