Shoutbox

putty client behaviour? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: putty client behaviour? (/showthread.php?tid=86195)

putty client behaviour? by Jarrod on 09-28-2008 at 08:27 AM

does anyone know why my putty client is trying to connect to random tcp ports eg 2668, 3494?
and can i stop it using those ports?
as I only have one outbound port anywayz

RE: putty client behaviour? by mezzanine on 09-28-2008 at 12:27 PM

PuTTY will never initiate any connection by itself. You can choose the desired host, port and protocol for each session.

RE: putty client behaviour? by Jarrod on 09-28-2008 at 12:38 PM

it connects on port 8080 like i asked it to but it also tries to connect to another port[Image: attachment.php?pid=929259]

me and a guy also went through a corporate firewall log and saw similar things

RE: putty client behaviour? by Adeptus on 09-28-2008 at 06:41 PM

I think you missed the word "from" in your screenshot.  TCP connections bind a random port to establish an outbound connection.  It is not "connecting to random ports", only doing what any program making an outbound connection would do.

RE: putty client behaviour? by Jarrod on 09-29-2008 at 01:50 AM

well why does it not finish connecting then?
and when i look at it on the juniper firewall logs the port shows up, and when we try and connect to the server from behind the juniper i get a time out...

RE: putty client behaviour? by segosa on 09-29-2008 at 11:58 PM

That connection is unrelated to PuTTY.

I'm guessing you're trying to access host-palace through your HTTP proxy set up with PuTTY? Well, firstly, I wasn't aware that PuTTY did HTTP proxies so that might be the problem, and secondly that "Connection request from 127.0.0.1, port 1963" is your browser's locally-bound outgoing port which is perfectly normal and required in any sort of TCP connection.

It doesn't mean your computer is connecting to random ports, it doesn't mean your computer is listening on random ports, it is simply the way that TCP works and you need a local port for a TCP connection as well as a remote one.