Shoutbox

Weird Wireless thing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Weird Wireless thing (/showthread.php?tid=86364)

Weird Wireless thing by Jimbo on 10-02-2008 at 04:34 PM

For a while, when my mum connects to our network from her laptop, she disonnects straight away.
Recently when i have been out of the house, and when she connects, it works fine.
We have discovered that when my xbox 360 is off, she can connect wirelessy fine and hold the connection, but when it is on, she cant.
I've tried connected using ethernet, and using wireless on my xbox and we get the same outcome. I find this really weird and cant explain it. Can any of you help?

(btw, i cant do much on my mums laptop as its her work one and i cant get into most things, adminstrator bla bla)

Also, my wireless router is a "Belkin N Wireless Modem-router"

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Menthix on 10-02-2008 at 05:22 PM

Could they be configured to use the same IP address?

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jimbo on 10-02-2008 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Could they be configured to use the same IP address?
I dont think so, as when my xbox is connected it uses the IP 192.168.2.2, and my mums laptop usually uses .5
RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jarrod on 10-02-2008 at 10:57 PM

do u have dhcp enabled in the router?

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jimbo on 10-03-2008 at 07:07 AM

Yes i believe so

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jarrod on 10-03-2008 at 07:54 AM

are you able to assign the xbox an ip address?
if you can try turning off you dhcp
and configure them manually

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Divine Dragon on 10-03-2008 at 01:13 PM

I'd have to agree with Jarrod, make sure to manually assign local IP addresses to each device on your network to avoid conflict.

Another idea would be to disconnect the power from all of these devices (the modem router a good 2 - 3 minutes) and restart in order of:

1. Router/Modem
2. Laptop
3. Xbox

I hope you can resolve your problem. If possible, try to post more detailed information about the problem, that is, results from the 'Test Xbox LIVE Connection' and a detailed readout of the laptops connection status. Just type "ipconfig /all" into command prompt (without quotes).

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jimbo on 10-03-2008 at 03:07 PM

I cannot disable DHCP, theres no option to do that and @Divine dragon, i restarted them as you said and it still didnt work. Also, i cant get into command promt on my mum's computer

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Divine Dragon on 10-03-2008 at 07:04 PM

I'm still eager to find out the connection status of the laptop whilst it's having trouble connecting to the internet. I've attached a small file that should bring up the command prompt regardless of any restrictions the system may have. If your concerned about running a file of its type, heres some simple instructions to recreate it yourself:

http://www.wikihow.com/Quickly-Copy-a-Usable-Command-Prompt-at-School

Make sure to copy, or screen shot the results so we help diagnose your problem better. :)

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jarrod on 10-03-2008 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I cannot disable DHCP, theres no option to do that and @Divine dragon, i restarted them as you said and it still didnt work. Also, i cant get into command promt on my mum's computer
--------------------------------
well since you can not disable dhcp, configure everything individually and we will just have to wait for the leases to expire, i feel you don't need command(even though the way above will work) how about assigning everything an ip address that is not listed in your dhcp, for example
xbox 192.168.6.1
laptop 192.168.7.1

if you have a pc you may as well configure that also,

then connect the xbox when u connect the laptop open up the connection status and observe when it appears to be doing.
then come back and tell us:)

[edit, since we are telling you to manual config i felt i needed to provide more details, if you use the ip addresses above the subnet mask will be
255.255.0.0  - but the computer may fill that in automatically and the primary dns should be the modem's ip address or a dns server found in the modems config pages

RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jimbo on 10-04-2008 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
--------------------------------
well since you can not disable dhcp, configure everything individually and we will just have to wait for the leases to expire, i feel you don't need command(even though the way above will work) how about assigning everything an ip address that is not listed in your dhcp, for example
xbox 192.168.6.1
laptop 192.168.7.1

if you have a pc you may as well configure that also,

then connect the xbox when u connect the laptop open up the connection status and observe when it appears to be doing.
then come back and tell us:)

[edit, since we are telling you to manual config i felt i needed to provide more details, if you use the ip addresses above the subnet mask will be
255.255.0.0  - but the computer may fill that in automatically and the primary dns should be the modem's ip address or a dns server found in the modems config pages
How do i configure them individually?
RE: Weird Wireless thing by Jarrod on 10-04-2008 at 09:47 AM

for the laptop use this
http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html
for the xbox try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908885